Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indy boots, 1940's style

GregNYC

One Too Many
The Indy boot with classic Cat's Paw sole.

indy.splay.gif

Cat's Paw Rubber Company had been in existence in the early part of the 20th century, and was quite the thing in the 30s and 40s. Cat's Paws advertised "non-slip grip," which was well received in an era when most shoes had leather soles. Amelia Earhart is rumored to have been wearing shoes with Cat's Paw soles during her last days. In 1947, a Cat's Paw logo was designed by Lucian Bernhard, who also designed the Bernhard Gothic font.

cat-life-04-08-1957-19.jpg

Cat's Paw soles were phased out, then finally discontinued. Cat's Paw Rubber Company was bought out first by Biltrite in the 60's, then Vibram. If you ask most shoe repair shops about Cat's Paw soles, they either have never heard of them, or tell you that they have long been discontinued. (Actually cat's Paw soles have been made in ever smaller numbers up until just 5 years ago.)

Lone Wolf Boots in Japan (a label of Toyo Enterprises, who also sell great replica-vintage Americana from lines such as Buzz Rickson and Sugar Cane) have been selling replica American work boots of different types with Cat's Paw soles.

A friend had put Cat's Paws on his White's Semi Dress boots. So I thought, why not Indies? It wasn't easy finding a shoe repair shop with both the Cat's Paw soles and the heels. And then, it has to be a shop that knows how to fuse rubber onto a leather sole so that it doesn't peel off. I found two shops, one in California, and one in New York, that had been ibn business over 50 years each. *They* knew right away what I was talking about!

They removed the Indy boot's neoprene rubber sole, replaced it with an oiled, stained leather sole, then put the Cat's Paw half sole and heel on top. The boots are pretty stiff, but of course will break in just fine. I have a pair of White's Semi Dress getting done with matching white dot soles. More later! For now, here are the Cat's Paw Indies.

indy.splay.gif

indy,sole.gif

indy.heel.gif

indy.side.gif

indy.cp.gif

Edward

Bartender
Gorgeous!

I wish that style of boot would come back in just long enough for me to pick up a half dozen pairs at a more affordable price.... sigh.

Next time I make it to the US, a pair of aldens is right at the top of my shopping list...

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I need new soles on my ankle boots and the shop here in town has a Cat's Paw sign in the window. They quoted me $20 to replace the heels, didn't ask if I'd be getting Cat's Paw.

...now I need to go find out! Those boots look great.

GregNYC

One Too Many
The two places I know about - one was found by my buddy Chicken on the SuperFuture forum - Eddie's Shoe Repair in Sherman Oaks, CA (818-789-1972, ask for Greg). Here in NYC, try Jim's Shoe Repair in (212-355-8259, ask for Joe). But - this might be a catch - they won't really send you the soles, they'll ask you to send them the shoes!

GregNYC

One Too Many
Feraud said:
Are those Alden boots?

What place in NYC did the work?

Yes, they are the Alden 405s.

Eddie's in California did the work. (see number in my last post).

Here is another boot I actually like more than the 405, and costs less, and looks more vintage out of the box - not Cat's Paws, but a relatively thin rubber half-sole that looks like I remember work boots looking when I was growing up. The Red Wing Gentleman Traveler, or "1911" model. It's just less popular, and harder to get. I think Zappos has them, and cultizm.com as well:

1911.side3.gif

1911.side.gif

1911.sole.gif

1911.jeans2.gif

The Wingnut

One Too Many
1911s are now available stateside as the 9011.

My ankle boots are very similar, made by Avirex in the late '70s, but the toes are much more pointed, similar to a dress shoe of the '30s or '40s. Love 'em to death.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
These are sweet. They're an Alden special order from a store in NYC.

DSC_0022-499x332.jpg

Boots are on the TruBalance last in Cigar shell cordovan with Commando soles.

DSC_0016-499x332.jpg

theinterchange

One Too Many
Greg NYC, thank you for sharing your boots! They look fantastic, I'm a purist on the neoprene soles of the 405's [when I get my pair that is!] but this almost makes me change my mind.

Randy

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
GregNYC said:
The two places I know about - one was found by my buddy Chicken on the SuperFuture forum - Eddie's Shoe Repair in Sherman Oaks, CA (818-789-1972, ask for Greg). Here in NYC, try Jim's Shoe Repair in (212-355-8259, ask for Joe). But - this might be a catch - they won't really send you the soles, they'll ask you to send them the shoes!

Youre a gentleman for sharing.
Perhaps you should get a wheelchair & tool around showing off your elevated soles for all of us with shoe envy!
;)

fuzzyearlobe

New in Town
Hey everyone,
Hope you dont take offense to an older thread being bumped, but I wanted to share. I bought a pair of boots from a local maker and they featured som NOS Cats Paw soles. Honestly, Im about 50-50 on the soles. On one hand, they are cool, vintage and nostalgic. On the other hand, they are old technology. Honestly, just about any modern Vibram sole is going to be a bit more durable, lighter weight and more flexible. Thats just a given, due to tech advances and things like that. But I still like them, Im just probably not going to seek them out when it comes time to resole these boots. Anyways, the boots are made by Al's Attire, in North Beach San Francisco. Its a pretty cool shop, lots of hand made clothing and shoes. Their web site is pretty weak, but if you have a chance to stop by when in SF, you wont be disappointed.

Please disregard my white socks:p
8a1a99a5.jpg

1bbca0af.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy