Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indy, Iron Ranger, White's or ???

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
Farmer's disco, I love it. I have a pair on order....

The trick, I think, is to avoid lace to toe construction, get the heel lowered a quarter inch,make sure the sole isn't too thick and stay well away from the exotic leathers and the temptation to go two tone. I've seen many examples which kept to this that looked spot on.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Ya can't knock the lace to toe action!

6A633BDB-32C4-4259-B2BA-A758484270CF-6844-000005BB3F6F72E4.jpg

2E530095-07B2-4706-B2EF-4E9B3700173B-6844-000005BD7AACD9E3.jpg

44AB85AE-1127-4AF8-B752-1EA4045ED836-8552-00000A66E55EACDD.jpg

pak

One of the Regulars
I wear White's and have since the 70s. I just got a pair built on the farmer/rancher last. For a lighter boot I got a lighter leather in red dog color, 6" tops and a mini vibram sole. I pre treat my boots by melting beeswax into the leather with a hair dryer. This turns the red dog color into dark burgandy color. I wear them for work and with the beeswax base they clean up very well. Good boots for a fair price and great service.

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
Farmer's disco, I love it. I have a pair on order....

The trick, I think, is to avoid lace to toe construction, get the heel lowered a quarter inch,make sure the sole isn't too thick and stay well away from the exotic leathers and the temptation to go two tone. I've seen many examples which kept to this that looked spot on.

White's cordovan Semi-Dress boot in burgundy is my favorite White's boot. Horse might not be considered exotic around here though. White's also offers sharkskin, water buffalo, bull, CXL (horse and cow), and bison. I think all their semi-dress leathers are pretty reasonable and even the two-tone can be done well. Wesco's two-tone shoes are probably the best examples I've seen although they're a little too heavy duty for my tastes. I haven't seen the sharkskin IRL but it looks pretty interesting on the website. I have a 1.5" black sharkskin belt I really like but I'm having a hard time imagining a boot made out of it.

I think Wesco or Whites are great if you're looking for a true pair of work boots. They're built like tanks. For those who are looking for more of a rugged "dress boot" style, I'd recommend Alden, Wolverine 1000 mile or some of the Red Wing alternatives mentioned here. In my opinion, the "W" boots out of the Northwest never really escape the hard core work boot vibe and the two biggest markets for these kind of boots are those who use them as work boots and the leather fetish crowd.

If you're looking for something a bit more reasonable for street wear, then I like some of the other options better.

I like Highwayman's recommendation to buy a White's boot you can dress up slightly and wear most of the year. The only other recommendation I'd add is to add close trim if you wear a small size. This reduces how big the sole looks.

I know a thin guy (6' / 160'ish pounds) who wears a pair of double sole bounty hunters with a Vibram lug sole. They're a pretty hard core work boot vibe and he tries to wear them with khaki's and a golf shirt in the middle of summer. It looks like his feet are outfitted to go out and climb the Eiger. I don't know how he bends the soles and they look stiff enough to strap on crampons.

He bought them for his motor bike and they look more appropriate when he's wearing thick denim and a leather jacket. I kind of feel the bison, bull, and water buffalo leathers would fall into this camp too since they're so grainy.

frussell

One Too Many
Coloradorider - I've got a pair of shark cowboy boots custom made from the Paul Bond Boot Co. that are about 30 years old, and the shark foot has outlived the extremely well-made uppers, which I believe are high grade cowhide. If you shine them up, they hardly show a bit of wear. Exceptional stuff, not as stiff as you'd imagine for something so durable. Can't speak to the shark used by White's or any other company, but my own shark boots will outlive me easily. Frank

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Close trim refers to a boot built with one row of stitching (instead lf two) where the vamp is stitched to the sole

Tan%20SD11-600x600.jpg

bretron

Call Me a Cab
^^Haha,

the only concern with this configuration is that the last was built for a higher Cuban style heel. Lowering and moving the heel back changes the way the boot fits. Ive read many differing opinions that its no big deal, and vice versa. Im still on the fence between this configuration or with the standard heel (Cuban, 1/4" higher)... Definitely no regular height block, or 1/4" lowered Cuban- both look too funny to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24