Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indy jacket bug

guitone

Familiar Face
It bit me and I have to act to calm it down...so I have some questions regarding Wested, US Wings and Flighsuit (expedition) jacketsd....

Sizing, how difficult to do a good custom measurement for a Wested and have it look good?

Tight, I am not a fan of tight, would like a bit of room in my jacket so I can get a sweater under the jacket and still have it look good when not layered.

Leathers: The Lambskin has some nice attributes, aging quickly is one (at least the US Wings one) but is it heavy weight wise, or is it too light for comfort should the weather dip a bit? What leather is ideal for 2 to 3 season use, and which will look best (a nice broken in, worn look)?

As I am about 5'7", 145 pounds, wear a 34 low rise waist pant, a 40 short jacket, a 32 sleeve in a shirt and a 15 1/2 collar, I wonder about the different sizing for the different makers...the US Wings looks great as do the other two.....any experiences with these would be appreciated.

Thanks

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
I trust you've queried the folks over at Club Obi Wan about this. You'll get far more responses than you can possibly read at one time (I exaggerate...a bit), and they all like their own jackets and are more than happy to tell you which is better, etc.

My personal experience - I bought the Wested in lamb. I tried the goat before the lamb and it turned out being a bit short, but it was exactly the way I ordered it. I sold it to a fellow member and ordered the lamb with more length. I did not discern any difference in weight between the goat and lamb. Take every possible measurement you can think of. Compare clothes/jackets that fit you well right now. CALL AND E-MAIL THESE VENDORS. I don't hold one any higher than another. My reasoning in the end for choosing Wested was Peter Botwright being the original maker, and complete custom sizing for the least cost. This was a couple years ago. The lamb has suited me fine for 2-3 season wear.

guitone

Familiar Face
Thanks for the response. I have asked some questions at Club Obi Wan. As you say, each person there has their favorite but it is hard to get a sense of one maker over the other. I wish I had known about these jackets and Wested as I was in London in February and could have gotten a custom measurement job done...I worry about doing my own measurements. I do appreciated your info on the lamb, it seems this leather is one that will break in quickly and be very soft....Goat I am not familiar with, cow is very rugged and that is good as well. I do have a very nice soft leather jacket that I bought this winter, the soft leather has that great feel to it and drapes well..... For me I don't want a skin tight jacket, but I think it gets a bit funny than about how it will fit under the arms...so off the shelf offers some certainty, but my understanding is that Wested has a good return policy....Thanks again.

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
If you have a jacket that fits you the way you like I suggest taking the measurements directly off of the jacket and then sending them to wested. Bear in mind, when you order, give them your exact measurements, nevermind all that add an inch or drop an inch stuff you tend to hear over at COW. The people at Wested know what they are doing, so if you give them your measurements and then tell them you want the jacket to be roomy they'll do the rest. if you tell them you want a sweater to fit under it they'll take care of it. If you tell them you want it to look painted on with a spraycan they'll take care of it. Just give them your measurements. if you are unsure of taking your measurements yourself go to a reputable tailor and tell them what measurements Wested wants you to give. They can do the rest.

The Lamb is a nice 3 season jacket, especially if you have room to layer underneath. It's light enough to wear over a button down in the spring or fall, or a t-shirt on the cooler summer nights. With layering I think it's fine for temps into the 40s, and it's great for stopping the wind. It's also the softest of them leathers available from Wested, and it distresses easily.

Wested does have a great exchange/return policy but you do have to pay shipping, and with the way the dollar has been reeling you can end up paying quite a bit in shipping charges. Best to get it right the first time. Hope this was of some help to you.

guitone

Familiar Face
IGB, yes, very helpful.......I have a good tailor and that would make it all easier to just have him do the measurements for me.....Don't know what you call it in the clothing circles but in guitar circles we call it GAS, guitar aquisition syndrome, some say gear aquisition syndrome, but it is all the same...not about need at all.

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
Guitone, I have the Flightsuit goat and love it, but some people swear by the Wested. Afterall, Wested has always supplied the jackets for the movies. I don't think you can go wrong with either company.

Best Regards, Kaleponi Craig

guitone

Familiar Face
Kaleponi Craig,

I have been reading very good things about the flightsuit...I think, if I buy one of these it would be the FS..they seem to get the best press.

Thanks

guitone

Familiar Face
I spend my time at the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum and the Acoustic Guitar Forum.......these two take up quite a bit of time, never heard of the other but GAS I guess is well known....

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

It is a site for people with electric guitar racks. They say it all the time.....but until you just explained it, I had no idea what it meant.

...and just to bring this back on topic.....I used to have several Westeds and Flight Suits jackets. I have sold them all except one. I kept my FS goat. I chose to keep that one because it was the most comfortable and the most rugged of the ones I owned. Unfortunately the guy who was the heart and soul of the FS expedition jacket is no longer in charge.....so I can't speak for their current offerings. Wings makes a nice jacket...if you are not too crazy about screen accuracy.

guitone

Familiar Face
If you go over to Club Obi-Wa, there is a very long thread...US Wings offered a great deal on their Indy jackets but when they started showing up they were not just not screen accurate, they were miles away. They used 2 piece backs in many and 2 peice sleeves..in itself these are not big deals but there was no heads up....I cancelled my order and am holding off.....to be honest, I don't need another jacket....thanks...the flightsuit looks the best to me if I was to buy one at this time.

DBLIII

One of the Regulars
Guitone: I didn't get involved in the COW USWings sale (but probably could have) because I bought a USWings jacket off eBay from them. Their store is USWings123. The Indy jackets are running $170 there + $20 shipping. Sizing appears to be a problem with USWings, but Michaelson answered my question about that in an earlier thread here at FL. I found that by asking questions directly to USWings as an eBay buyer (ask seller a question), I got great responses from a "Chris" at USWings. Based on her (?) information, I skipped the body weight part of their sizing chart and went with the smallest that their chart showed would fit. Thus, I have a 40" chest and went with their Medium -- and it's loose enough to wear a sweater under it, but I don't think excessive. Michaelson said that the arms tend to run short, so keep that in mind. Since I wear a 40" chest sportcoat and have 33" measured sleeves, the USWings medium comes out about right.
I don't know if it's screen accurate, I guess not from reading the COW comments. But - I got the Goat and it's very soft, looks good - and by buying off eBay, I got the jacket that was pictured.
Just some information for you. If I had the time or money, I'd have likely gone with Flighsuits or Wested, but I'd rather put my money into hats.
Dave

guitone

Familiar Face
Dave,

That is very interesting indeed. There must be trouble at home. I have actually been looking at the Flightsuit raiders today, flight jacket with some nice little differences.....I think I am going to stay away from USWings after the COW thing and also with the sizing issues, but I find it interesting that this great deal that was offered to the COW was not as good as what is done all day long on ebay...and try calling USWings, no one there can really answer any questions regarding fit.Thanks again.

DBLIII

One of the Regulars
Guitone: I agree completely. I thought the whole thing was odd. I happened to fall over their eBay store about a week before the COW deal, and they were just great with me. But, I'm sure hesitant now.
I have heard great stuff about Flightsuits and Wested. If you choose Flightsuits, please do run something out here about what you got from them, as I'd like to get a lamb jacket and haven't decided which one to order from yet.
Have a fine evening!
Dave

guitone

Familiar Face
Dave,

Thanks again...I took a look at the store, just as you said.....I need another leather like a hole in the head, also thinking of a barbour, but these things have never stopped me before. If I do get the raiders (FS) I will write it up. I don't read anything bad about flightsuit, of all the three on the COW forum they seem to have the best following.I read more threads than you would think would be necessary to make a decision and I ended up confused...but again, FS stood out, but with new ownership it may not be the same, still may be worth a try...the raiders jacket comes in cow and goat so I would need to do a bit of research and see which will look the best (aged).

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Watch out for the US wings...If you are ordering from outside the US, they won't accept exchanges or refunds internationally. Also some of their jackets lately are even less screen accurate due to a vertical seam up the back and horizontal elbow seams. If doing an exchage/refund, be sure to get a return authorization # first and write that # on 3 sides of the box being returned...oh and don't open their boxes with a blade as that will nullify a return.

Just letting ya know so you can be prepared. Nice heavy duty jacket though. I love the color of the lining.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters