Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indy jacket: Wested vs. Gibson & Barnes/lfightsuits

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Doctor Strange said:
(Hey, if you want to talk about really crappy quality control, minimal customer service satisfaction, and seriously bizarre sizing in Indy jackets, there's always US Wings!)
lol lol lol lol
And I have never had a problem with them, service-wise or jacket wise. :eusa_doh: I actually recommend US Wings frequently, especially if you run on the larger size. But I do know that some have there problems. Maybe it an astrological thing or something? Taurus should buy Wings, Libras do better with Wested. [huh] lol

kojax

Practically Family
i had a a-2 from wings not a bad jacket. there custmor service is not that great. i had it out on the phone with mr hack the ceo there..

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
kojax said:
i had a a-2 from wings not a bad jacket. there custmor service is not that great. i had it out on the phone with mr hack the ceo there..

Kojax I hope you prevailed. I mean you are a nice guy, albeit quirky, but you seem to cherish your leather goods.;)

icecold

One of the Regulars
I'm off to the store to buy a case of beer for the crowd here :p . As often happens, a simple, albeit reduntant question, somehow resulted in a pleasurable to read exceedingly detailed thread. Even questions that I would not/could not formulate were answered lol

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
if you go with wested, heed this advice
order a jacket in a hide besides lamb. horse or goat is the best. the original jacket for raiders was made in lamb because that was all peter had at the time. if indy were real, he would have had a jacket in goat or horse & he would have chosen wisely

ask them to use a stronger thread. wested uses straight cotton thread, which isn't very strong. a better thread choice for a heavy leather jacket would be something like nylon wrapped in cotton. you have the strength on the nylon, but becasue it is wrapped in cotton, the thread wont tear thru the leather.

if you are worried about screen accuracy, ask them to be mindful of the pocket size. but then again, SA dictates that they use a aluminum zipper...

dont be afraid to call wested & speak with Peter directly. he is a very nice guy & he bends over backwards & then jumps thru hoops for some of the guys over at COW. calling across the pond is, at worst, a dollar a minute. just remember the time zone thing. they open for business at 3:30 am central time. call before you go to work in the morning.

they are closed on saturdays & sundays. so the estimated working time for a custom jacket is a little over a month...

finally, if you do order a custom (read: made to measure) jacket from wested, be sure to go over the spec sheet you get form gemma

thanx!!!
Charlie

www.indygear.com/cow

Edward

Bartender
Doctor Strange said:
Edward, I'm sure that Wested's goat, horse, and cow are all much tougher hides than the lamb...

<snip>

Thanks for that, it's made it much clearer on the differences between them. Eventually, I think I would like to acquire a Gibson & Barnes, though perhaps when the dollar weakens somewhat against the pound!

I agree with your point that the lamb is an ideal weight for warmer weather, albeit fragile. Actually, with warmer weather in mind, I've been tempted to explore the option of a cloth Indy from Wested, though I'd definitely prefer something more period, along the lines of a drill cotton as opposed to the "stonewashed denim" option they offer.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
That's an excellent idea. A jacket that basic and classic is actually very hard to find, and expensive when you do find it. OTOH, you can get a twill A-2 for $75, but not without leather-faced collar and trimpieces on the epaulets.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Edward said:
with warmer weather in mind, I've been tempted to explore the option of a cloth Indy from Wested, though I'd definitely prefer something more period, along the lines of a drill cotton as opposed to the "stonewashed denim" option they offer.
Edward, I've been considering the same option. Actually what I was thinking was to purchase the denim Wested jacket, perhaps dye it a darker brown, then give it a waxed-cotton treatment with the end result of having a more weather resistant jacket that looks a lot like leather (but much cooler).

Does anyone have experience with the Wested denim Indy jacket? If the leather ones are constructed more like prop/costume apparel rather than real knockabout jackets, I'm somewhat concerned about the durability of even the denim one.

Edward

Bartender
Mike K. said:
Edward, I've been considering the same option. Actually what I was thinking was to purchase the denim Wested jacket, perhaps dye it a darker brown, then give it a waxed-cotton treatment with the end result of having a more weather resistant jacket that looks a lot like leather (but much cooler).

A waxed cotton Indy would be a superbly practical adventuring jacket! Great idea.

newsboy

New in Town
Recieved the goatskin Indy by G&B. Great jacket. I can't fathom why anyone would want this in lamb. IMO one of my best buys at $170 shipped, barely used. I feel it was a great score.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy