Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indy jacket: Wested vs. Gibson & Barnes/lfightsuits

icecold

One of the Regulars
Hi there, I was able to find some useful discussion of the indy jackets made by these two companies, but I'm curious if somebody have been able to make a direct comparison between the two.
Until today, I had a Gibson/Barnes indy jacked (in goatskin), but my dog destroyed it and now I need a replacement :( . I was very happy with the leather on the Gibson/Barnes, but did now like the fit - it felt oversized *even though i sized down* from my true chest size...

So now I'm debating whether or not to go with a wested instead. It costs half the price, but does it mean that it is twice as 'crappy' as far as materials and wormanship is concerned??? If it's comparable to gibson?barnes, then of course there is no point in paing twice as much...

kojax

Practically Family
stay with gibson barnes i have the a2 goatskin very nice....coming nexet week from gibson barnes nice dark seal lambskin g-1 jacket. i love there leather they are very picky about there leather......i am very friendly with 2 of there sale-people there.......

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
You should really look into this question over at Club Obi-Wan, where it's been debated into the ground!

I have a Wested lambskin Raiders. And while I don't have an Expedition, I've got two goatskin FS/G&B jackets - an A-2 and a M-422A.

The Wested is a gorgeous jacket, and being custom-sized, it fits me better than the FS jackets. But even if it were goatskin instead of lambskin, I doubt that it would be as tough or solidly made as the FS jackets. It just isn't built for hard use: Wested doesn't make military jackets, they make MOVIE WARDROBE.

But again, I love my Wested. It's reasonably well-made for ordinary use purposes, the materials are fine, it's amazingly low-priced for a custom-size jacket, and its pedigree as a "real" Indy jacket is hard to argue with. And Wested is a great company: when I tore the back panel of the jacket on my car door (yup, lambskin IS fragile!), they repaired it FOR FREE.

So... Westeds and FS jackets are on different levels of construction. But they also satisfy in different ways: my Wested feels "handmade" in a way that my FS jackets just don't, and then there's the whole "they made the original jackets in the 80s films" thing.

If your main concern is getting a tough-as-nails jacket, stick with FS. But if you want to try something a little different this time, consider Wested...

bobjones

A-List Customer
icecold said:
Thanks guys, that pretty much solves it. Gaah, another 400 $ lol

I haven't handled a Wested, but own a G&B goat just purchased a few months ago, and it is a wonderful piece. With my Aero Stockman, I have 2 "go-to" jackets that I actually have a problem deciding which to wear if the weather is 45 degrees or up.

That being said, I highly recommend a G&B, their goat is fantastic - but I did speak to the Wested owner once, and he is a super doll of a guy. Tough call, no doubt.

Get both, in different hides? :D

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Odd. I always thought of the jackets by Wested as The Standard and G&B et al as me-too's.

Are you wearing it under really really tough conditions? Even so, I'd go for the original maker, and save the dough as a plus.

GHQ1

One of the Regulars
I bought a Wested in lambskin

and found it light and fragile . . .

Beautifully done overall . . and certainly LOOKED the part . . .but for my knock-a-day world . . .lamb, while supple, was ill-suited to my reqs . . .

I've several mil jackets in goat (G&B) and horse (Aero). .and grab the goat most of the time . .

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
scotrace said:
Odd. I always thought of the jackets by Wested as The Standard and G&B et al as me-too's.
Even so, I'd go for the original maker, and save the dough as a plus.

There's no denying, Wested is the "original," and high quality. But that doesn't necessarily make it the best option in all cases. And as far as money goes, I read about a LOT of returns and exchanges of Wested over at COW. Wested doesn't cover that cost, and some people have paid $700+ all totaled. The loyalty remains, but it seems at least semi-blind. They have service issues that repeat and never get solved, and I've noticed a rise in the number of custom jackets that don't actually match the orders.

Even if those reports are exaggerated, I've seen far more Westeds in need of repair than G&Bs.

I think that, when G&B is an option, it's quality vs. even more quality. If I knew I would actually fit into a G&B (they really aren't cut for a guy like me), I wouldn't mind paying the price tag at all. "Original" just doesn't provide an edge over an increase in quality. And I've never been very worried about exact screen accuracy. [huh]

On the other hand, when one has personal experience with any brand that is particularly favorable, then loyalty is earned. So I know that Wested has it's justified fans. My own experiences have been middle-of-the-road. I have no personal reason to favor either Wested or G&B.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

I have owned several of both. There is no comparison in quality. G&B make military grade flight jackets. Peter makes costumes for actors to look good on camera. If you are tight on cash, Wested is you answer. If you going on a real adventure, go with the G&B.

Edward

Bartender
I can't comment on the Wested jackets directly, but it is worth I think throwing in to the discussion that Wested will make you one in goat or horse, not only lamb, so I wouldn't necessarily base a decision to go with an alternative purely on the fragility of lambskin.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This may be beating a dead horse

GHQ1 said:
and found it light and fragile . . .

Beautifully done overall . . and certainly LOOKED the part . . .but for my knock-a-day world . . .lamb, while supple, was ill-suited to my reqs . . .

I've several mil jackets in goat (G&B) and horse (Aero). .and grab the goat most of the time . .

I returned the lambskin and bought Goatskin I just need to be worried about the leather when I am gallivanting.:cool2:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
I can't comment on the Wested jackets directly, but it is worth I think throwing in to the discussion that Wested will make you one in goat or horse, not only lamb, so I wouldn't necessarily base a decision to go with an alternative purely on the fragility of lambskin.
Edward, I'm sure that Wested's goat, horse, and cow are all much tougher hides than the lamb.

But to amplify what MK and I both said, Wested's jackets are designed and built for making actors look good, not for rugged conditions. The amount of stitching, the quality of the thread, and the finer points of construction (like how much leather or fabric overlap at the seams, what unseen internal engineering of material exists to maintain the garment's shape, etc.) are at a much lower level of execution than what you typically see in military jackets from the likes of FS.

So, even when made with tougher leathers, Westeds aren't in the same league as real military/motorcycle jackets, construction-wise.

With that in mind, Wested's jackets are flattering and fine for ordinary day to day around-town use. But they're just not made to take the stresses of hiking, riding, fighting, and, uh, adventuring.

I've been visiting COW daily for years, and the endless complaints about Wested typically fall into two categories:

1-A specific requested customization (usually in the endless quest for "screen accuracy") wasn't done right. People complain about a pocket being placed 1/8" wrongly, or sloppy X-box stitches, or the zipper starting 1/4" too high on the jacket. By and large, these are things that wouldn't be noticed by average wearers, but drive obssessive Indygear fans into a loud rage. To my mind, this is a small minority overreacting to small errors, but the sheer amount of noise may convince one that Wested never does anything right! This simply isn't the case: many folks are thrilled with their Wested jackets.

2-Seams break open when the jackets are stressed. This goes right back to what MK and I said: these jackets aren't built to take such stress, the stitching and thread simply aren't intended for tough use.

The reason to choose a Wested is for the very reasonable custom fit and Peter's connection to the original 80s films. Their jackets do just fine in average wear. I should point out that I've had mine since 2003, and have worn it plenty, and even hiked in it, with no broken seams. It's true that I had a problem with the lambskin tearing, but that's becase it's very thin (and wonderfully comfortable!) lambskin. And when that happened, Wested repaired it for free and even paid the return shipping to the US!

As I already said here many times, I love my Wested. With its beautiful thin lambskin, soft cotton lining, and no knits, it's my summer-weight leather jacket: it's perfect when it's too warm to wear an A-2. And I love that it's darn close to the original 1980 Raiders jackets before they were aged. Plus, it fits me better than any off-the-shelf size ever could... (Someday, I'll probably get another one - but in goatskin!)

This isn't to say anything against my two FS goatskin jackets: they're great, but much heavier, and obviously built to withstand hard use... and they feel it. Wearing the Wested is a DIFFERENT experience from a flight jacket, and that's the reason that I think it may be worth trying one. You know, variety is the spice of life...

matei

One Too Many
I've got a goatskin Wested. It looks great, and it gets many compliments, however the fit and finish is not what you would find in a high-end jacket.

Interbak

One of the Regulars
I got a authentic brown lamb Wested a few years back figuring it was the original, and supposedly the exact color of the Raiders jacket. By the time I paid the exchange rate, the shipping, and the duty it certainly didn't come out any cheaper than a G&B, and I've never been so disappointed with a purchase upon opening a long anticipated delivery. This thing is so light an wimpy, the "authentic brown" color is way lighter than anything on screen. I wore it for a while and it never seem to feel like a balanced fit, so I started taking some measurements, the sleeves were different lengths! Since I'd been wearing it for a couple months I didn't try sending it back. There was enough material in the sleeve to adjust the cuff and equalize the length, so it's OK now, but I never wear it. I picked up a used G&B lamb Expedition (Indy) from a Club Obe Wan member and it's a much nicer jacket. The color is darker and more like what you see on screen. It's still a very light jacket, nothing like a horsehide A-2, or any where near a heavy horse Aero, or a good motorcycle jacket, but still a much better jacket.
Anybody interested in a slightly used Authentic Brown Wested in size 44? Make an offer!

Brian

garzo

One of the Regulars
Wested orders a variety of leathers. I ordered a horsehide Indy jacket from them a few years ago and it's a great jacket. But they are hit and miss. I later ordered a lamb in the same size but it was just too small, at least compared to the horsehide. The horsehide is not as thick as Aero's but still considerably thicker and warmer than the lamb, so unless you want a light summer jacket, you can get a Wested in horse, goat and cowhide, all of which are much thicker and sturdier than the lamb.
I don't own a G&B Expedition, but I do own a G&B Horsehide A2 and a goatskin ANJ 3, both of which are very well made. The A2 came with a minor defect but I didn't send it back for repair because I'm in Germany and it didn't bother me that bad -- the collar hook at the throat is punctured through the leather and lining, and on the inside, the back plate of the hook, instead of laying flat on the lining, has has come up and over it a bit, as if it tore through the lining. I just put a bit of cloth tape to make sure it doesn't tear wider.
One thing that I noticed about the G&B leather, while it's obviously strong stuff, it seems so overly treated that it almost doesn't feel natural anymore, not compared to say Aero's leather or even the Wested horsehide.
The goatskin is similar, it's really soft and pliable yet very tough, but still feels like some kind of thick vinyl to me. Might just be my personal taste. Nevertheless, if you go with a G&B Expedition, I'd recommend getting the goatskin rather than the lamb.
If you're in the US you might be better off ordering from G&B, just less hassle in case you need to return it or whatever. If you're in Europe, Wested is cheaper and not that much inferior, at least not if you get one of their better leathers.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Doctor Strange said:
I've been visiting COW daily for years, and the endless complaints about Wested typically fall into two categories:

1-A specific requested customization (usually in the endless quest for "screen accuracy") wasn't done right. People complain about a pocket being placed 1/8" wrongly, or sloppy X-box stitches, or the zipper starting 1/4" too high on the jacket. By and large, these are things that wouldn't be noticed by average wearers, but drive obssessive Indygear fans into a loud rage. To my mind, this is a small minority overreacting to small errors, but the sheer amount of noise may convince one that Wested never does anything right! This simply isn't the case: many folks are thrilled with their Wested jackets.

Being a daily COW poster myself, I can honestly say that this was a common problem for some time. But Peter finally put his foot down and said that "custom" referred to the options that he offered, not to all those exacting details. It has cut down on the nit-picking this past year.

But I have to say, in defense of the reasonable COW members, that there are still many complaints that are far from that psychotic! Wrong body lengths, uneven sleeves (see above), wrong hides, non-delivery, inaccurate communications, etc. So, while Wested isn't as bad as some Indy fans would have you believe, not all Indy fans are as bad as Wested fans would have you believe! lol lol

newsboy

New in Town
Just picked up a G&B off ebay for $155. Just hope it fits well. After reading this thread, I'm REALLY looking forward to getting it.
If it's near the quality of my historic A-2(another steal at auction), I'll be thrilled.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
NB, I was just pointing out that MANY of these complaints seem a bit extreme to folks who aren't Indy obsessives. Some of the "mistakes" are real and the complaints justified... But honestly, not enough folks give Peter credit for the degree of customization he attempts to satisfy, and just how DIFFICULT it is for his workers to accomplish the most exacting ones correctly. Everyone seems to forget that making a thousand Raiders jackets a year for the Internet is his SIDELINE, not his primary biz.

And I think that for every unsatisfied Indygear freak raging at Wested, there's someone like me, who got a magnificent repair (unexpectedly) for free!

(Hey, if you want to talk about really crappy quality control, minimal customer service satisfaction, and seriously bizarre sizing in Indy jackets, there's always US Wings!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy