Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hooked on jackets? Why?

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I believe you and have said so above; It absolutely can be but I think your relationship with leather jackets was more of a fixation than an addiction. As you said, you had it under control, your learned enough through your journey to realize exactly what you wanted out of it & once you reached the end of the road, which you basically did, you recognized it as such & knew it is time to stop and move on to the next thing.

I don't know, the way you collected leather jackets, especially Lost Worlds, always struck me as perfectionism, rather than addiction.

IMO what you describe: "It would be addiction if we were to compulsively buy & hoard on any & all leather jackets available, with no planning, use or purpose" is exactly what i was doing with LW and Vanson Jackets.
It was hidden by the classic "i am studying jackets and their history", but deep down i was like a mad Pokemon hunter trying to catch them all... And trying to rationalize it any way i could.

That period of my life was also the peak of my alcohol intake, both my alcohol consumption and my jacket hoarding where extremely compulsive and where two sides of the same coin.
It took my dad passing away for me to realise i was on the same tracks he had been on, and that made me open my eyes at my own drinking and mycompulsive jacket buying.

So you could say i was "still in control" cause i wasn't blowing dudes in public toilets to pay for my jackets, but i wouldn't say i was in control of much at that time.
Nowadays i look at my jacket racks and wonder how i got there!
I think i'm almost ready for a big clasified sale...

Last edited:
IMO what you describe: "It would be addiction if we were to compulsively buy & hoard on any & all leather jackets available, with no planning, use or purpose" is exactly what i was doing with LW and Vanson Jackets.
It was hidden by the classic "i am studying jackets and their history", but deep down i was like a mad Pokemon hunter trying to catch them all... And trying to rationalize it any way i could.

That period of my life was also the peak of my alcohol intake, both my alcohol consumption and my jacket hoarding where extremely compulsive and where two sides of the same coin.
It took my dad passing away for me to realise i was on the same tracks he had been on, and that made me open my eyes at my own drinking and mycompulsive jacket buying.

So you could say i was "still in controle" cause i wasn't blowing dudes in public toilets to pay for my jackets, but i wouldn't say i was in controle of much at that time.

I understand.

So you could say i was "still in control" cause i wasn't blowing dudes in public toilets to pay for my jackets, but i wouldn't say i was in control of much at that time.

It’s good when a hardship can be channeled into some positivity. Not the least of which is keeping you out of those public bathrooms, where I too draw the line.

As a fellow LW and Vanson traveler, I best be invited to your pre-sale party! Partly because I’ll try to talk you out of some sales. Shedding jackets is great, but also some jackets are a part of us and the journey. Those should stay imo.

mumpy

A-List Customer
I think community is a big part of it as well. Collecting on my own without being able to share the experience with someone else would certainly make all this a lot less appealing.

As an example, in the late 90s/early 2000s I was learning how to program a computer. My uncle was a mathematician so he taught me the basics. I was going to the local library, looking for programming books and then I would copy the programs from the book to the computer and tweak them to learn. I then came across a computer magazine that had an installation disc for a Linux distribution that was popular back then (within the open source tech community). I installed it on a spare machine and was trying to explore it and understand how basic things worked.

However, I had no one in real life to share this information with (apart of my uncle who soon after passed away) so I was online on various IRC channels at the time where these topics were being discussed. I met some other people that were from my city through the internet and we decided to meet up. Fast forward a few years later, we had an organised event that was happening once a month to discuss about open source software. Upwards of 20-30 people would sometimes join (this was 2003-2004 so going to online meetups wasn't really a thing then).

I have done the same thing with many of my other hobbies. I have created local meet-up events or attended existing clubs etc.

My point is that even though this could be an addiction for some, it can also have life changing consequences (beyond an empty wallet), like meeting people, relocating to other countries etc. etc. All of this happened to me through similar endeavours.

Last edited:

MickeyPunch

Familiar Face
It is not an addiction.

It might not be for you. In my post I didn’t say everyone was addicted. I also said some who are won’t admit to it.

I know I have a problem and I probably have a fraction of the jackets some do here (although I’m more addicted to boots, I’d say). And no, I don’t buy every jacket I come across. But I lurk, I browse, I check forums, and even though I might like one jacket out of a hundred (or more) I see, when I find that one then I need it. And I need it now. I don’t need a new jacket, I wouldn’t even if I lived 500 years.

If it’s not an addiction for you then good for you, I’m glad it isn’t, I sincerely hope I’m wrong and nobody here is addicted. But IMO it’s a topic that’s not discussed enough in hobbyist forums.

I’ll leave a link here to the goodyearwelt subreddit, it’s one of the highest ranked posts of all time. If you don’t relate to any of it at all, then great. I hope you don’t.

https://www.reddit.com/r/goodyearwelt/comments/hqs99q

Last edited:

AHP91

Practically Family
It might not be for you. In my post I didn’t say everyone was addicted. I also said some who are won’t admit to it.

I know I have a problem and I probably have a fraction of the jackets some do here (although I’m more addicted to boots, I’d say). And no, I don’t buy every jacket I come across. But I lurk, I browse, I check forums, and even though I might like one jacket out of a hundred (or more) I see, when I find that one then I need it. And I need it now. I don’t need a new jacket, I wouldn’t even if I lived 500 years.

If it’s not an addiction for you then good for you, I’m glad it isn’t, I sincerely hope I’m wrong and nobody here is addicted. But IMO it’s a topic that’s not discussed enough in hobbyist forums.

I’ll leave a link here to the goodyearwelt subreddit, it’s one of the highest ranked posts of all time. If you don’t relate to any of it at all, then great. I hope you don’t.

https://www.reddit.com/r/goodyearwelt/comments/hqs99q

A fair topic that is undoubtedly different for every one. It’s fair to say that if it affects you monetarily at a point you can’t control, it’s an addiction.

I will say that seeking out vintage makes everything more difficult - in terms of available inventory. Has to show up in the marketplace, has to be listed for not an astronomical price, has to be in a condition that suits you, has to be in a wearable size.

I have pretty much zero desire to seek out newly made jackets, so that puts a big barrier up to what I’m looking for. Might be worth looking into if vintage appeals to someone in any way.

Vintage hunting in Nashville. Some great stuff but they aren’t fools and the prices are high.
IMG_0838.jpeg

IMG_0839.jpeg

Back at our airb&b I grab a coaster, without paying any attention. Coincidence? I think not.
IMG_0840.jpeg

MickeyPunch

Familiar Face
A fair topic that is undoubtedly different for every one. It’s fair to say that if it affects you monetarily at a point you can’t control, it’s an addiction.
I on the other hand don’t think the monetary aspect is what determines whether it’s an addiction or not. The impact in one’s finances is just a side effect that might not be present for all.

A Hollywood star can be addicted to alcohol and drugs with zero impact to their finances.

It’s the obsession.

mumpy

A-List Customer
I on the other hand don’t think the monetary aspect is what determines whether it’s an addiction or not. The impact in one’s finances is just a side effect that might not be present for all.

A Hollywood star can be addicted to alcohol and drugs with zero impact to their finances.

It’s the obsession.
I think it is the toll it has on one’s life. If someone ends up only caring about jackets and has lost interest in what used to be enjoyable and important things in their life before for example. Or if it is the first thing they turn to when they want to tune out instead of exploring something new etc.

zebedee

One Too Many
Out of curiosity what is that one aero you wear most?
Nowadays, a cordovan Maxwell (tumbled, fqhh) gets most wear overall as I can wear it into work on colder days. Outside of work, a brown Highwayman (brown fqhh); there was a three-year period where I wore it for entire Shanghai winters.

If I had my 'buying time' again, I'd have gotten a brown fqhh mid-weight 50s Half-Belt; it would have suited most purposes.

Viking752

Practically Family
I wish that I could articulate my thoughts as well of some of you have posted here. My reasons for obsessing, wanting, needing jackets, shoes and boots of all types are deeply personal. And that I will keep as my own. What I can say is what I have posted on this forum in previous years, the journey to me is as important or more so than the destination. Fill in the blanks with what I have sought after In my life. In 2005 that one Panerai I traveled many miles and spent many hours to obtain. Or the Hunter green Range Rover with the reverse Luxe interior that very few made it to the US. The HK USP tactical that was no longer in production and was told could not be found. And so many other “things” that I believed would bring me happiness. And in a lot of ways did give me satisfaction but the journey was always the best part.

In the case of leather jackets, I like them always have always will. Truth is , other than my wife and children I don’t run in circles of people that can truly appreciate what a great leather jacket is or what it took to acquire it. The group of people in this forum have the unique understanding of what that means. Is it addiction? I don’t know. I smoked 40 cigarettes a day for awhile and by definition was a Nicotine addiction. I quit that 24 years ago. Does finding a cool, hard to find leather jacket that fits me give a Dopamine dump? Hell yes. Am I going to stop that? Hell no. Obsession, addiction…..or appreciation . To each his or her own.

zebedee

One Too Many
That's a good point and part of the cycle. I am really happy whenever I quit smoking and then someone mentions dark tobacco and/or rum and I feel deprived. If I surrender to the deprivation, it takes me two or three months to quit the smoking again.

Jackets are interesting - the Cordovan Maxwell I have would definitely look better in Vicenza with olive stitching, but I wouldn't modify and re-purchase. I need there to be some variety to purchases (I have a goat 50s HB in dark seal and a Plainsman in black jerky, which are somewhat different, although I have three café racers in tan, blackened brown and battered seal, so I duplicated there, even though only the black one fits comfortably) and I think, rationally, that I have enough jackets, now.

Addictions have been described as stemming from a sense of insufficiency, and I think there's something in that, even though I also think that, at times, wine has definitely improved the quality of life. It's a problem when you realise that some people go to parties and get drunk, but you get drunk and go to parties.

Xopher

A-List Customer
To me it's some sort of hunting/gathering thing, it was jackets for a decade, now i am back into musical gear, before that it was something else, i did it when i was a kid with rocks, coins and stamps, tools in my teenage years, musical instruments in my 20s, jackets in my 30s, right now i am obsessed with snare drums, there is always something.
I do have an addictive personality, come from a familly of multi generational alcoholics, had an OCPD father, struggled with both issues myself but I have that more under controle now, not sure if related...
Hunting for the next "thing" can sometimes feel like a need similar to smoking or drinking so it might well be related.
To me it feels like a very basic "need", that's how i ended up with 60+ leather jackets...

I have been doing this for so long, i can't tell if it was built in me from the start or if it is a consequence of my childhood.

Have you only ever done that with jackets or other things too?
Come to think of it, I have begun keeping a list of things I hyper fixate on, and about how long the phase lasts.

There was about a year and a half long period I was buying vintage Vietnam jungle boots. I wanted to have a never ending ending supply of them because they are the perfect boot for me. So I bought about a dozen pair of them. I then started researching the history of them and started collecting one from every year, and every pattern variation. Which turned into my buying all the repros available to compare. I ended up doing a review comparison video on YouTube that got a lot of views. Fast forward, I stated selling some of my jungle boots and don’t feel the need to keep buying them….but I still look sometimes on eBay.

The next hyper fixation was A-1 jackets. I was relentlessly shopping around for the “perfect one”. What I wanted was a Bill Kelso custom but I didn’t have the money so about 10 months of fighting with myself I settled on the less expensive Headwinds MFG….which later turned out to be a bit of a scam. (The jacket never showed up months past due, and they stopped answering my all emails and calls. So I assumed it was a scam and filed a credit card claim on the very last day of the window to do so.)
Anyway I was so pissed about it that I went and ordered the Bill Kelso A-1 and put my name on the list for a Goodwear. I should have just done that in the first place. But anyway my A-1 fixation is over a year and counting at this point.

Then began collecting silver coins, because I felt I was spending too much on jackets and I ought to at least salt away something worthwhile, Morgan Silver Dollars became a fixation.

The 1930s Zippers, and 1930s Woolrich, back to flight jackets, back to silver…and so on.
It seems to go in cycles.

I did notice that when I quit drinking, just about 8 years ago, my spending on other thing like jackets went up a lot!

What do they call that when you quit one addiction and move into another? Sublimation?

Let’s not disregard the endless search for perfection.
Not quite sure if this is a guy thing or just a compulsion.
I’ve purchased many jackets trying to get “just the right fit” or “just the right details.” Cafe Racers were the ultimate challenge for me. I convinced myself I needed one, and then I went hunting…It took a number of years before I found “the one” which now hangs in my closet unworn. I’ve sworn off new purchases, but a recent post in Finds and Deals has me bidding on another green one (even though I never wore mine and sold it).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner