Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IndyBlues needs some hat advice

IndyBlues

New in Town
Hey folks, I was wondering If you guys would be so kind to point me in the right direction for a new hat.
Pardon my hat ignorance, but I'm cherry when it comes to the world of Fedoras. I've always liked the look, but until recently, never wore one. I own an Akubra Federation, that Fedora bashed into a killer Raiders bash.
Now, as far my choice for a new hat, here goes:
I'd like to get a hat similar to the Indy style fedora, similar color, maybe a tad lighter than the Akubra Fed.
I'd like the brim to bit a bit narrower, maybe 2 1/4" on the sides,
2 1/2" on the front and back.
I'd also like a shorter crown, maybe 5 1/4"
Basically, a sized down Indy fedora.
I'd like to pet another Raiders bash on it, if the shorter crown can handle it.
Do these options seem normal? Like I said, I'm pretty new in the hat game, so any advice would be great.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
I don't know what to tell you buddy. Outside of going straight to a custom hatter, you are probably out of luck, unless you want to take something that Akubra makes that already fits these specs, then reblock and reshape it.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My suggestion

Please consider your face, build, height and weight, shapes etc etc.
Look at the MANY photos posted here of members in their vintage hats, Optimos, and other brands. Look at our faces, and the "balance" of the hat. You mentioned some sizes and measurements that ON ME would look stupid. 5 1/4 inches is a very tall crown on a hat (shaped or "bashed" as some say- it's really called the block of the hat). And the 1/4 or 1/2 inch difference in brim width front back vs. Side to side may be outlandish.

Look at vintage photos (Zohar has posted a bunch) and look at the Optimo page..and read prior posts. If you see someone's face that is same as your general build, and you like the hat...then there you GO!!

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
What Andykev said is exactly correct. Not every face shape looks great with every crown.
One thing, I've realized that I look better with the Park Avenue block/shaping than I do with the Indy shape. There needs to be some equity between the shape of your face and chin, and the shape of the crown of the hat.

Here are two pictures that show my Indy hat, and my Park Avenue, where I have outlined the shapes to show the equity between the hat, and my face.

equity-vi.jpg

equity2-vi.jpg

See how the bottom one is more evenly matched the shape of my face?

I hope that helps you.
-z

Edit:
BTW, if I look weird with my shoulders hunched, it's because my wife is 5'7", and I'm 6'6", so taking a picture of me that really shows the hat requires me to be kneeling or sitting a footstool.

IndyBlues

New in Town
Thanks for the input, guys. I made a mistake on measuring the front of my crown, from brim to top of pinch. Andykev is right, 5 1/4 is really tall. Mine measures that tall now, so I probably would need something like a 4 1/2" to 4 3/4" crown, from brim to top of pinch. I'll do a little more investigating, and start checking out some more pics. Thanks.

Cliffhanger

New in Town
Blues,

I currently own an '84 Indy Stetson (yeah, yeah, I know), with a 4 1/2 inch crown, 2 1/4" sides and 2 1/2" front/back. Odd huh, but it looks great on me. I kinda wish the sides were a little wider, but anyhoo. It ALL has to do with one's face. That is one reason why I don't like my Akubra Fed...it dwarfs my face. I look like I am wearing a novelty foam cowboy hat.

So good luck on your quest and let us know results. You may have the same "face" as I do.

Peace,
Cliffhanger

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Finding the right hat for you is sometimes a hit and miss prospect, and sometimes it all depends on the look you are going for.

Here is a page with many different Akubra styles, I am an Optimo wearer, though if I needed a hat in a pinch and vintage did not exixst, I would go for an Akubra. I have bought 2 military hats from this company. Their prices are great ( don't confuse Aussie dollar with US) though the shipping takes forever.

http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/displayproduct.asp?page=1

I'd also scour ebay to find a good vintage hat in your size, that may fit the bill. The biggest problem I see nowadays is lack of hat stores and if you do find a hat store, lack of variety.

When you know what you want and have the cash have a hat made by Optimo.

Do you have any pictures of you in your Indy?

rick5150

One of the Regulars
What Andykev said is exactly correct. Not every face shape looks great with every crown. One thing, I've realized that I look better with the Park Avenue block/shaping than I do with the Indy shape. There needs to be some equity between the shape of your face and chin, and the shape of the crown of the hat.

Zohar,
I have to respectfully disagree. I think that the Indy-styled hat adds balance to your facial shape, while the Park Avenue appears to be on the small side and almost mimics the shape of your face. Personally, I like the contrast between your face and the Indy. I do not care for the shape of the Park Avenue.

Maybe it is because I am so used to seeing you in the Indy fedora, but you are a tall guy. Do you have other pictures you wearing the Park Avenue that are from a distance? I have taken a lot of pictures of my own hats that due to the close-up aspect appear differently on "film" than in person.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Not at the moment, but I'll try to get some today. The Indy shape doesn't look bad on me (and not nearly as bad as it does on some guys... you're lucky, it looks great on you), I just think that the Park Avenue looks better (at least on that day I thought so :) )

Anyway, I'll try to get my wife to take some more pictures today.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Everyone has their preferences of course and if you really like the Park avenue style that's what you should wear. However I'm in the same boat with Rick though and like your look in the Indy fedora better. I have never gotten where I like a crown to look tapered. But to be sure, it is still a very nice fedora.

regards fedoralover

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
I like both the Indy, and the Park Avenue, but I like the Park Avenue better right now. With a crown that high and straight, the Indy is really a more "formal" hat to me. The Park Avenue seems easier to "dress down" because of the shape.

Here's my Phantom Blue Indy. It has a 5.5" crown bashed, the brim is 2 3/4 x 2 5/8, and has a bound edge. The ribbon is 1 5/8".

106_0644-vi.jpg

106_0645-vi.jpg

106_0646-vi.jpg

106_0651-vi.jpg

Here's my Natural Park Avenue. It has a 5.5" crown bashed, the brim is 2 5/8 all around, and it also has a bound edge. The ribbon is 1 1/8"

106_0638-vi.jpg

106_0639-vi.jpg

106_0641-vi.jpg

106_0642-vi.jpg

106_0643-vi.jpg

106_0648-vi.jpg

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well since this is "Judge Zohar" time:

I prefer the Indy hat, only because of the block, which is "teardrop" (ok ok I know it's INDY!!)

I personally DON'T like Center Dent hats...so that's that. However, the crown height and brim look splendid on our dapper guy! Quite the "upper classman" don't you agree?

The color of the Nutria hat (aka natural) is really nice.

I ordered mine with the "Mitchum" block, which is what you see me wearing in my photos on the Lounge's Optimo page.

I really kike the C crown or Teardrop look. Very 1940/s.

Just like the hat in my newest Avitar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy