Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inexpensive shampoo/conditioner recommendations?

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
So I'm revising our budget, and am tired of spending $9 each on tiny bottles of shampoo and conditioner. I'm looking for recommendations for inexpensive (drugstore or Sally Beauty type) shampoos and conditioners. My hair is color treated, very thick, and tends to be dry, so I like something with good hydration that will help control frizz.

Last night I picked up Herbal Essences shampoo & conditioner for colored hair. After 1 use this morning I like it, but the scent is a tad strong.

What do you ladies like?

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the suggestions, Miss Neecerie! I've used Vive Pro products before (I like their color line and the scent is fabulous), but haven't tried the Nutri Gloss. The labels all say for long hair, but I don't see why it would not work on shorter hair.

Bubbly

New in Town
I had a friend recently give me some recipes for a apple cider vinegar rinse and a sugar conditioning treatment that she uses practically exclusively now. She will occasionally shampoo with store bought brands, but more often then not she's cut it out of her beauty regime.

She has very think and curly hair as well and she swears by it.

If I can find the recipes, I'll post them.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
Suave Humectant Shampoo and Conditioner. It's good and cheap. And good. My hair tends to be very dry, and this stuff shapes it right up.

Suave is good and cheap, but a bad choice for color-treated hair, as it tends to strip the color.

I like Aussie products. They are frequently on sale at our local CVS and usually cost around $4/bottle. I like the Moist Shampoo for my horribly dry and bleached hair. Also, I will not use products made by companies that engage in animal testing, so Aussie is a good, high quality (yet affordable) option for me.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I love Suave lotions, body washes, and hairspray, but for some reason I've never had good luck with their shampoos & conditioners. They always seem to fry my hair. Maybe I'll try them again? I do love their prices!

I looked at the Aussie line last night, but didn't buy anything. I'm so paranoid about stripping or fading color (like Garnier Fructis which practically turned me blonde) that oftentimes I won't buy something unless it specifically notes safe for color-treated hair. How does the moist line work for color-treated hair?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
fortworthgal said:
I looked at the Aussie line last night, but didn't buy anything. I'm so paranoid about stripping or fading color (like Garnier Fructis which practically turned me blonde) that oftentimes I won't buy something unless it specifically notes safe for color-treated hair. How does the moist line work for color-treated hair?

It's great! I've been using it for a long time now and have never had any problems with it. I've also trying the Sun-Touched Shine shampoo and do not like it as well - it tends to leave my hair feeling kind of oily, but I have not had that problem with the Moist. I also use the 3-Minute Miracle conditioner as my normal conditioner (I was my hair maybe 2-3 times per week) and it is great for my dry hair.

perfectredlips

New in Town
My "on a budget" go-to shampoo and cond is from Trader Joes....its their "Nourish" line. Its $2.50 a bottle (poo/cond) and its heavenly. Sometimes I find the need to try something expensive but I always come back to this stuff.

sixsexsix

Practically Family
I second Aussie products - they are cheap and fab. I use the 3-min miracle as my usual conditioner and have never had any problems on my colour ravaged hair

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Sally's has the generic versions of most of the salon shampoos/conditioners.

However the bottles are smaller than say, supermarket brands.

I do swear by the SLS - free shampoos. I found them at Walmart. Since they dont' have the higher concentration of detergents, no stripping of hair color or hair oils. (and really how DIRTY does your hair get?) If I find my scalp needs an extra cleaning, I dump a Bud Light on it.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
perfectredlips said:
My "on a budget" go-to shampoo and cond is from Trader Joes....its their "Nourish" line. Its $2.50 a bottle (poo/cond) and its heavenly. Sometimes I find the need to try something expensive but I always come back to this stuff.

We don't have Trader Joe's here. :(

I have tried several "generic" items from Sally. Had good luck with some, poor luck with others. Some are just as costly as the salon brands, though! I love the Aura line they carry, but they have discontinued many of the products I liked.

desi_de_lu_lu said:
If I find my scalp needs an extra cleaning, I dump a Bud Light on it.

I am SO trying this.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I am a HUGE fan of the Soft-Sheen Carson Optimum Oil Therapy line!! It is in the ethnic aisle. It is the best thing I have ever used and costs less than $5 for your average sized bottle. I heart that stuff like mad!

artful dodgette

One of the Regulars
i love afro carribean products too! such as LeKair Cholesterol shampoo and conditioner...dirt cheap and probably the best products ive ever used regardless of price! try it! all my housemates are addicted too!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Anybody use Main and Tail? I'm not really sure if it's really cheap, but it comes in BIG containers. If I use soap on my hair I get soap scum in my hair, and my scalp turns into one big flake.

lillielil

Familiar Face
dhermann1 said:
Anybody use Main and Tail? I'm not really sure if it's really cheap, but it comes in BIG containers. If I use soap on my hair I get soap scum in my hair, and my scalp turns into one big flake.

I've used it and thought it was fine. I kept dropping the bottle on my toes, though.

I think the moral of my story is that my hair is not picky at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael