Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Info. on Eastman zipper?

tweedydon

Call Me a Cab
I took in my Eastman Irvin for some repairs last week, and the chap who runs the leather shop was very excited about the Eastman zipper, which needs some further anchoring. So, can anyone tell me more about this zipper--other than it was made for (by?) Eastman?

Thanks!

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Your zip was made by Riri for Eastman and is based on a WW2 Dot zip, which had a slider bucket. The slider/puller is based on a Lightning one. I'ts a shame they did not copy a Dot slider/puller, however you can fit an original one on the Riri zip track.

tweedydon

Call Me a Cab
Your zip was made by Riri for Eastman and is based on a WW2 Dot zip, which had a slider bucket. The slider/puller is based on a Lightning one. I'ts a shame they did not copy a Dot slider/puller, however you can fit an original one on the Riri zip track.

That's very helpful, thank you! :)

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Aswatland, I've a small question. AL has RiRi zips as an "upgrade" on their jackets... Do you consider them as such? Thanks in advance...

Worf

Hi all
there is an Irvin expert in UK selling original ww2 lightning and dot zips as spares.
He also restaures Irvin jackets...An ELC Irvin jacket deserves it.
Nice gentleman and very skilled with Irvin jackets.
On the other hand ELC also sells zips for restauration, but its again an ELC zip.
Please revert if contacts for both are needed.
Cheers

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Hi all
there is an Irvin expert in UK selling original ww2 lightning and dot zips as spares.
He also restaures Irvin jackets...An ELC Irvin jacket deserves it.
Nice gentleman and very skilled with Irvin jackets.
On the other hand ELC also sells zips for restauration, but its again an ELC zip.
Please revert if contacts for both are needed.
Cheers
Are you talking about Stephen Silburn? His resto work is excellent but he can get busy though may fit the odd small job in now and then.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Aswatland, I've a small question. AL has RiRi zips as an "upgrade" on their jackets... Do you consider them as such? Thanks in advance...

Worf

Riri zips are very robust and great quality. Have no opinion as to up grade for AL as I'm not sure what brand the previous zips were.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Std AL zips are Talon No. 6 ( not sure if it's called a No. 6, size 6 or just 6) ... or Talon No. 8's for heavier duty e.g. Bike Jackets ( in chrome, brass or antique brass) - the No. 8 Talon has a custom AL slider with a bigger puller ( I have this on my brown Roadster).

The RiRi's (Italian) are a better zip IMHO ( based on their usage in the motorcycle and outdoor products more than vintage experience) much more rhobust and used on some of the finest jackets today ( zip of choice for Goretex for example). It also has an easier puller to use IMHO. I also think YKK make some superb zips which are equivalent quality to the modern Talons ... just MHO.

What Riri don't have is the Talon "bell" puller and the heritage look ... but quality is exceptional.

I haven't had any as an upgrade but I did have RiRi zips on my ELC Irvine and they were very good.

There are a number of zipper experts on the lounge and I'm sure they can add more .... but RiRi have a great reputation.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Thanks PL and Aswatland, you gave me just the information I was looking for. I've YKK's on some jackets and lots of Talons, I like YKK's a lot but never had any experience with RiRi.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran