Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Info on Gibson & Barnes 422A

Rmille6161

New in Town
I am looking at ordering a Gibson & barnes 422A and was wondering if anyone has pro's or Con's on there Goat skin jackets. I love the aero line of HH jackets but there 422A does not look good with the collor they offer so this is my next choice, Thanks for any input.

bobjones

A-List Customer
I have a goatskin G&B Expedition and it is a fantastic jacket. It is VERY lightweight, nothing at all like the aero FQHH, which I also love.

I would suggest calling G&B for sample of their various hides, they are happy to send out swatches when asked. Their customer service is excellent, and very easy to work with.

Daniel Hunter

One of the Regulars
I have several goatskin jackets from Gibson & Barnes. Their jackets are amazing. You won't regret it....

Goatskin requires no break in. It's soft from the very first time you wear it but it's also extremely strong. Another nice thing about goatskin is that it's fairly water resistant.

norton

One of the Regulars
Love my G&B goatskin expedition. The company has great quality and customer service. Goatskin is very tough.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I've got one of these, it's a swell jacket. Great materials, well-made, tough as nails.

Just keep in mind that G&B's sizing is MUCH larger than Aero's, and (unless you're a widebody like me who needs a bigger waist) you may have to go down a size, perhaps even two sizes, from your normal suit jacket size.

This picture is from when I first got it in 2005, but it looks virtually the same now (the leather finish hasn't faded anywhere, the knits are still solid):

MSGM422A.JPG

Kid Mac

Practically Family
The good Doctor is spot on about G&B sizes. Yesterday, I received a response to my question about A-2 chest sizes -- "the design department allows for ease an the finished measurements for the chest for a size 42 is 54" and the 44 is 56." :eek:

I was asking about A-2 sizing; the Navy jackets seem to have a trimmer fit, but you might be sure to ask about sizing.

Doctor Strange, very nice jacket! (I see you've been recruited by the FF.)

Cheers,
Mac

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
For what it's worth, I also have one of their Civil A-2s - and of the two, the M-422A is indeed cut a little trimmer in the arms and chest.

And Mac, I was first recruited by the FF back in 1965, when I read a couple of issues of the first Inhumans arc as a 10-year-old! Nuff said.

bobjones

A-List Customer
Hmmmm....I would have to disagree about G&B being larger sized, as my G&B Expedition is a spot on 44T, and is quite a trim fit. I would have to say that my Aero 44R stockman could swallow several of my 44T Expeditions. The Expo measures 26" across the chest, but tapers considerably downward. When zipped, it is a very snug fitting jacket.

Rmille6161

New in Town
Dr Strange, the jacket looks great! I just chatted on line today with a Co-worker that is back in afghanistan right now for a couple more weeks, He bought a 422A about 2 years ago and said the same thing, he had to go down 2 sizes, He is about my sz 6' 225 lbs and he went from a 52 to a 48, So I ordered one today in the same 48, she said if its small just send back for a 50. After seeing yours, can't wait :)

SamReu

One of the Regulars
G&B

Listen to the good Doc.

I ordered a G&B a few years ago, and it was cut biiiig. Putting it on, I had a keen appreciation of what Jonah must have felt when got up close to the whale. Lowball your size when ordering.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
gibby and barnes

incredible jacks...i had the privilege of wearing a new one for a few days...simply perfecto...g-1, sizing was roomy...the older 'ma' style g-1s would indeed have a trimmer, more milspec fit as they are repro style

but warning about the a-2s, they are all cut on current a-2 fit, so they will all be a bit fuller, which is ok, unless you like a trimmer milspec fit...but the g-1 was truly superb!

Razor

New in Town
G&B sizing

I have three G&B jackets, one M422a and two G-1s that are different colors and all are in a size 42 regular. G&B's quality is excellent but go down one size from what you normally wear. I highly recommend going down one size down from what you normally wear in either a suit or another G-1 since I wear a size 44 in a suit and a 44 in a Brill, Star or Mil Spec G-1 jacket. G&B G-1s are full cut. They also have a great exchange policy in case the jacket does not fit you properly.

Razor
:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou