Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Input on Quality and Fit of Less Expensive A-2 Jackets

442RCT

One of the Regulars
Silver Dollar said:
What is the right way to break in a leather jacket? I've just worn mine when the weather is right for the A2. If there's a way to get them to look better on me, that's for me.

When I received the first jacket, a horsehide Aero, I marveled how soft and supple it was, it felt like I'd been wearing this jacket for years and it'd grown on me, it still had that new leather smell. I e-mailed the seller and asked what kind of conditioner he used. Mind you, I own 2 other Aeros, 3 ELCs, and a couple of RMs, and 2 Seftons...but none of them were this 'broken-in'...probably because I have so many, none received enough wear to break them in...:eusa_doh: [huh]. Later this same seller offered me another one of his jackets, an ELC Warhorse hide. It's just as well broken in as the first I bought from him. Both are currently my favorite 'wearers'.

His response:
Jay,
No conditioners.
Just wear and .....
Many an hour kneeding and twisting it with my fingers.
You watch a football game or a movie and spent the time with the jacket in your hands twisting and turning.

And just wearing it to work and back etc etc

I had a Sears Leather Connection off-brand A-2 that was satisfactory, bearing in mind that I needed to go a little bigger than normal (I ordered a size large because I wanted it a little loose) to accommodate "aftermarket radiator core" plus shoulder-holsters. Purists would snark about the three-piece back and hand-warmer pockets, but it served me well right up until a bloody-nuisance rat infiltrated my place and decided to munch on it, and I'm planning to order another once I deal with a few annoying bills I gotta pay.

Annixter

Practically Family
It looks like I'll be giving the Cooper A-2 a try, as I just scored a supposedly brand new one off eBay for $75 shipped! $200 off list price makes for a surprisingly easy choice when it comes down to it. :D

The ad wasn't specific on whether it is a current issue A-2 or a 1987 version, but I'm willing to go either way for the price.

Hopefully we can get some detailed pictures of a few different brands for comparison. I'll post up photos once I get the jacket.

Fifty150

One Too Many
If Republic Flier has an opinion on fit, he/she is entitled to it without any need for your cross examination and waffling that one has no valid opinion unless he owns an original A2 and agrees with your opinion of them.

Fit is a funny thing. My chest measures at 48". When issued uniform items, I myself and many others, routinely choose 50" & 52" tops because there is no place for a tight shirt, sweater, or jacket in the field. I only need one set of tight uniforms for parades & ceremonies. Other than that, my work clothes have to be big enough for me to do actual work in. Imagine my tailored dress uniform ripping with every movement. I just don't understand the want for tight clothes.

Fit is a funny thing. My chest measures at 48". When issued uniform items, I myself and many others, routinely choose 50" & 52" tops because there is no place for a tight shirt, sweater, or jacket in the field. I only need one set of tight uniforms for parades & ceremonies. Other than that, my work clothes have to be big enough for me to do actual work in. Imagine my tailored dress uniform ripping with every movement. I just don't understand the want for tight clothes.

Cont me in on that. I guess tight clothes are for those whom are skinnier/smaller folks or models. I am neither! :)

derleicaman

One of the Regulars
I've owned a US Authentic briefly and it wasn't a bad jacket. The leather is too thick and the fit is a bit odd with very long arms. I've had Gibson and Barnes in the past, and they make a very good jacket, especially their historic A-2's. I would have one again. Have not heard good things about the US Wings A-2. I have also owned Aero, Good Wear, Lost Worlds, RMNZ and ELC. Of that bunch Good Wear is the best and most accurate followed by RMNZ and ELC. Aero's are beautiful with great hides and they smell great too, but their A-2 pattern never fit me right and their hides are too thick as well. One thing you need to know is that all of these manufacturers have very different fits to their jacket patterns. Find a jacket that fits you well, take down the measurements and use those while shopping a jacket with any of these outfits. Good Wear, ELC and Aero are more true to the WWII type of cut, while the rest are cut for the "current physique". With the WWII pattern cut you may need to go up a size or two from your sport jacket size, the opposite is true with the modern cut patterns. Buyer beware and communicate with the seller!

Fifty150

One Too Many
The best way to buy shoes, pants, tops, hats, et cetera.....try it on. This is just about impossible to do with A-2 jackets. Who is able to walk into a local vendor, and try on all these jackets? Is there even a store that carries all of these "boutique" brands, and is convenient to visit? Most of us are lucky to find a couple of good local leather shops and then work with them to get what we want. In some areas (SF Bay Area) leather seems to be a sexual fetish. So while there are decent shops, the "artisan" keeps trying to measure your inseam for leather pants.

Klaatu

New in Town
In the $200 price range, Excelled sells a US made A-2 through leathercoatsetc.com

Just ordered a couple of goat skin A-2 jackets today from leathercoatsetc.com as the site has a sale on them in addition to an extra 25% off. Read in some post how Excelled is considered by many to be a low-end manufacturer. Can always return them within 30 days.

Have been in the market for goat skin A-2 and in addition to Excelled, looked at US Authentic, US Wings, and Cockpit USA's offerings. Appears most lean toward US A for medium-quality jackets but US A never seems to have a sale.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
That's because they're a really small operation - three or four people working in an old carriage house - not a big factory in NJ that makes thousands of jackets per year that are marketed under a bunch of different brand names (all of which claim to be somehow different/better than the "competition").

kojax

Practically Family
i think for the money us flightjacket makes a nice a2 jacket i had many over the years. i just got a real mccoy a2 jacket horsehide nice jacket they do run small i take a size 38 this jacket i got a size 40

Fifty150

One Too Many
Just ordered a couple of goat skin A-2 jackets today from leathercoatsetc.com as the site has a sale on them in addition to an extra 25% off. Read in some post how Excelled is considered by many to be a low-end manufacturer. Can always return them within 30 days.

Have been in the market for goat skin A-2 and in addition to Excelled, looked at US Authentic, US Wings, and Cockpit USA's offerings. Appears most lean toward US A for medium-quality jackets but US A never seems to have a sale.

The best deal currently has to be Excelled Leather Bomber Jacket. $111.99 - 15% w/ coupon code SVNG15NJ + you get free shipping. If you use a Discover Card, you'll also earn an additional 10% back.

There is nothing authentic and vintage about this jacket. But it is a very good jacket. Durable. Warm. Good fit. Has a polyester insulated lining. Two inside pockets on left side (for right handed user). YKK slide fastener. Side entry handwarmer pockets. Three piece yoked back. Button down collar. Storm flap has 1 button at top and 2 buttons on bottom. Jacket comes with the 2 page inspection sheet that shows which factory it came from, the name of the inspector, all measurements, inspection of threads & stitching, leather quality, et cetera. Excelled is also known as the Excelled Sheepskin and Leather Coat Company. Inspection report / quality checklist shows "Quality Control Dept, M/S H. SADAR ALI AKHTAR ALI (PVT) LTD". Jacket is leather from Pakistan.

For less than $100, this is the best deal, period, for someone who is not looking for an authentic detailed jacket.

Klaatu

New in Town
Yeah, leathercoatsetc.com has that one too. With the 25% off, comes to a little over $97 for regular size but their $17 shipping charge puts them over Kohls. And then there's sales tax. This is the style I ordered.

Anyway, been considering used Cooper goatskin A-2s on ebay. Most can be had for around $100, shipped. Since these are military-specified, I suppose they run a little smaller than consumer-specified jackets. Does that mean one who normally wears a size 40R jacket should buy a 42R Cooper? Anyone?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran