Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Input on Quality and Fit of Less Expensive A-2 Jackets

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer

Klaatu

New in Town
Talk about bargain bombers, for all of you leather jacket hoarders out there (I'm up to 9 and likely an even ten with an A-2 I'm considering), BargainOutfitters.com offers the Mossi Men's Leather Bomber Jacket for $79.97. Bag free shipping via coupon code "BH661".

This just might be good money chasing bad, though.

Last edited:

Klaatu

New in Town
For those interested, it appears a major drawback from ordering an A-2 from leathercoatsetc.com is that they take forever to ship. Ordered mine on 1-18-11 and although web site says delivery will be within 7-10 days, it hasn't arrived. According to CS representative, they use a Just-In-Time inventory method where items are manufactured as ordered even though they're shown as "in stock" on the web site. One consolation is that they don't charge your card until item is shipped. Beginning to wonder if the low price was just a Bait-and-Switch scam.

Fifty150

One Too Many
I guess it all depends on the item. I'm sure that they have some items in stock. I've had items from them delivered within one week of purchase. Thus far, I'm impressed by the Pakistani jacket that was for less than $100. Their motorcycle jacket isn't bad either.

Klaatu

New in Town
Took delivery of Excelled A-2 today and noticed immediately that unlike Cooper or Avirex jackets, this jacket features neither snaps nor fasteners at either the throat or the waste; the zipper cover flaps freely. Looks almost as if they're missing but a call to leathercoatsetc CS confirmed that this is normal and military-spec.

Also noticed that although the goatskin is good quality and both the color and sleeve length are fine, the body is baggy and the wrist and waste gathers as well as the lining are synthetic. Guess that's the trade-off with a two-hundred plus dollar jacket.

Square box-stitched epaulets and one-piece back is nice too. And the hand-warmer and inside pockets are handy. Can't imagine wearing a jacket with only two pockets.

Last edited:

Norsksea

New in Town
LL Bean makes nice goatskin A-2 you can get on ebay. The US versions are the older slim fit measurements and the newer versions made in Turkey using today's over sized measurements.
Frank

Fifty150

One Too Many
I have sent two jackets back to LL Bean. The snaps were broken. I'm sure that it happened because they are stamped on by machine, thousands at a time, and not every item gets a careful inspection. The price has gone up, and the quality has gone down.

MCrider

A-List Customer
As far as the Cooper A-2's go I'd look for one at least one and possible two sizes larger. I wear a 44R and have a 46 that is good for with a T shirt underneath. Plus the sleeves pull up short when I reach for something. So a 48 may be in my future.

Parkpiper

New in Town
I agree, just bought a used Cooper A-2 off ebay in a size 42. I normally wear a size 42 with some room to work with. My cooper 42 fits perfect with only a t-shirt on but will probably be tight with anything else. I don't think I will get rid of it, but let the search begin for a size 44!

p.s. This is my first A-2 and am kicking myself that I waited this long to buy one! Hopefully, we will get a few more chilly days so I can get some use out of it before it is time to hang it up for the season.

Klaatu

New in Town
Finally settled on an older, Thinsulate insulated LL Bean Flying Tiger from eBay. This is the one with a "Made in USA" tag and a one-piece back. Figured why buy new when there's a good used one in supposedly excellent, pre-owned condition available. Guess we'll see about that. It's a size 40R and features two fewer liner pockets than Excelled A-2 but don't expect it to be as baggy. Noticed a lot of Coopers available but stayed away.

GoodTimesGone

One of the Regulars
Excellent choice Klaatu! Although I own Eastmans, an Aero, Avirex a-2s, Coopers, the L.L. Bean is the one I reach for the most often. The dark seal goatskin looks great, doesn't scratch easily, fits great, and most importantly it keeps me warm. It's been a great jacket for the chilly windy mornings when I'm doing preflight. Mine is a size 40 Thinsulate version also. I recently acquired a non-insulated version on ebay. I have a vintage Eddie Bauer a-2 and it is identical to the L.L. Bean. I heard back in the day they were all made by Golden Bear in California. These vintage L.L. Bean a-2s are so much better than the version they sell today.

Klaatu

New in Town
Excellent choice Klaatu! These vintage L.L. Bean a-2s are so much better than the version they sell today.

Thanks, so I've read here.

Vintage jackets are usually only a fraction of a new jacket's price and are often of better quality. Clothing is one of the few items worth buying used. Trick is to wait long enough and to pull the trigger when one comes along. Ebay is good for this kind of stuff but it can be so hit and miss.

All makers have different cuts. Some are known to be slimmer (more period correct) and some are modern, fuller cuts. All depends on your body and comfort desires.
Do the research and you should be able to figure out what will work for you. What fits me well may look dopey on another fella. And vice-versa.

JEFF2468hall

New in Town
Finally settled on an older, Thinsulate insulated LL Bean Flying Tiger from eBay. This is the one with a "Made in USA" tag and a one-piece back. Figured why buy new when there's a good used one in supposedly excellent, pre-owned condition available. Guess we'll see about that. It's a size 40R and features two fewer liner pockets than Excelled A-2 but don't expect it to be as baggy. Noticed a lot of Coopers available but stayed away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran