Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interesting finds in hats

Omne

Familiar Face
I just received a Stetson 3X beaver that I purchased on eBay and found something very interesting in the hat band. The initials JWF are on the band and there was a folded piece of paper in to tighten it a bit. I unfolded the paper and found this:

img001.jpg

Just finding this made the purchase worth it.

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I just received a Stetson 3X beaver that I purchased on eBay and found something very interesting in the hat band. The initials JWF are on the band and there was a folded piece of paper in to tighten it a bit. I unfolded the paper and found this:
That's a nice little surprise, isn't it. It's nice to have some idea of the provenance of the pre-owned items we acquire. Though I tend to think that the paper was there for identification purposes rather than for sizing.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
That seemed to be more of a thread on what people put in their own bands so I didn't add to it.

You're right. I seem to remember a thread devoted to stuff found behind the vintage sweatband, but I obviously located the wrong thread. Maybe someone else knows where it is. Or maybe I am thinking of scattered posts rather than a thread.

HatsEnough

Banned
Found:

Well in a late 40s Adams Executive I found in the sweatband an envelope for the United Telephone Company of Harrisburg, Pen. stamped 1952, an offering envelope stamped 1952 from the Christ Evangelical and Reformed Church of Roaring Spring, Penn., and a receipt for heating oil from the Gulf Oil Company of Altoona, Penn. made out to a Mr. Hensley in... you guessed it... 1952.

In a 1930s era Schenley Homburg I found pages 5 thru 12 of a religious newsletter called The Watchword from 1938.

In a 1950s Stetson I found bandaids stuck inside the sweatband used as spacers.

In another 1940s era hat I found a steel spring thingamajig that is used to keep the opening of the hat in shape.

In several hats I found felts strips used as spacers.

In one I found a wick from an oil lamp used as a spacer.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
One of the most interesting things I've found was part of an early Social Security Claim Form in a 1936-1941:
SSClaim.jpg

SSClaim2.jpg

Brad

Omne

Familiar Face
Found:

Well in a late 40s Adams Executive I found in the sweatband an envelope for the United Telephone Company of Harrisburg, Pen. stamped 1952, an offering envelope stamped 1952 from the Christ Evangelical and Reformed Church of Roaring Spring, Penn., and a receipt for heating oil from the Gulf Oil Company of Altoona, Penn. made out to a Mr. Hensley in... you guessed it... 1952.

In a 1930s era Schenley Homburg I found pages 5 thru 12 of a religious newsletter called The Watchword from 1938.

That stuff would be fun to find. I guess I'll just keep looking....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24