Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interior pockets on a leather jacket

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I'm just in the process of finalising the last details of a custom leather jacket and was wanting some opinions about interior pocket fastenings.

The pockets will be through the lining and I have the options for either stud or zipper fastenings. All my recent jackets have not had interior pockets and I have no idea whether either option has plus or minuses so just wanted some heads-ups from some members if there were any issues to be aware of.

Any experiences either way would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Tim

Last edited:

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I ony have studs and I have never dropped anything out of the pocket. The studs can be very hard to open tho, so a zip might be smoother, but I have none so dont know if its bulkier, more prone to break or whatever :)

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I have one with a zipper in mine, it's great, only problem is that it makes putting in large things like a wallet a bit harder...
Can't think of any other problems with it.

DSC_3926_zps9abcd562.jpg

Last edited:

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
One of my jackets has a gun pocket with a stud closure and while the stud is solid and secure, I am constantly surprised at how easily the jacket can open it just from the natural torque of moving around. Luckily the pocket is deep and nothing could ever fall out but it would go just as well with an open pocket.

thor

One Too Many
And it may seem obvious, but if the pocket is in the lining the leather facings around the border of the pocket may eventually show an imprint onto the front of the jacket. There was a thread on this "phenomenon" somewhere on TFL where people chimed in on whether this was "normal" or detracted from the jacket in some way. "Gun" or G-1 style pockets probably will not have this same issue.

reeks1

One of the Regulars
I'm waiting for my jacket to be delivered. I ordered a single "gun pocket" on the inside left with a ball and chain zipper. This type pocket is cut vertically into the leather next to the zipper. Someone will probably post a pic of what I'm talking about.

schitzo

Suspended
Smithy is that an AL jacket per chance?

I've had all kinds of pockets and I have to say the ones I've been happiest about are those I had sewn onto the lining for this Dakota http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...rs-light-brown-kudu-Dakota-size-42&highlight=
My wallet fits snugly into the button closure pocket and the other one is very handy for stashing loose bits of paper etc

But if you are intent on having one of those in the facing jobbies then I'd think seriously about no closure at all, as they are quite deep. Or if one is deemed necessary then consider the button loop option (if it's on the table). I had AL do that for my roadster and I anticipate that it's not going to show through like the press stud/zipper head would

Peacoat

Bartender
I will never get another jacket with the zipper closure. All I get now are the stud fasteners, which I never snap. Just no need for it, even with a pistol in the G-1 pocket.

Edward

Bartender
And it may seem obvious, but if the pocket is in the lining the leather facings around the border of the pocket may eventually show an imprint onto the front of the jacket. There was a thread on this "phenomenon" somewhere on TFL where people chimed in on whether this was "normal" or detracted from the jacket in some way. "Gun" or G-1 style pockets probably will not have this same issue.

As I recall, most of the pockets in question in that thread were exterior pockets, not interior; it's less likely for one in the inner facing to show thorugh than one which is accesible via the outer. Personally, I prefer them over inner pockets that are through the lining: I find the G1 style of pocket much more easily accessible, and less likely for things to drop out of (absent a zip fastener). Another thing worth bearing in mind is that a pocket in the lining has the potential to cause the lining to sag over time - may be an issue if you want a lighter lining for a warmer weather jacket.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Snaps. I've got a zip and snap on the inside pockets of my LHB and the former is a pain to use in cold weather.

Surferbruce

Familiar Face
This is really a thread about liners! The two jackets above have awesome liners!
On topic- i do notice after about 6 months of hard wear the liner snaps on my Vanson PLU-3 do leave a ghost mark on the outside. I don't really care as my goal is to beat this thing up, but i'd probably go zipper if i was doing a custom. Or no closure actually as stuff really doesn't fall out of the inside pockets.

technovox

One Too Many
One drawback I've experienced with the zippered inside verticle pocket is that I have to unzip my jacket all the way down to be able to unzip the inner pocket so I can access it. Somewhat frustrating (wouldn't be a problem with a horizontal pocket.) But I like the added security of storing my cell phone in a zipped pocket- so when I lay my jacket on a chair, the cell phone won't fall out.

pocket.JPG

Plumbline

One Too Many
I generally have two inside pockets in my jackets ( a la G-1 rather than in the lining on waist length jackets, in the lining in longer jackets e.g. Vest De Rally).

G-1 style pockets ... single stud fastener .... never had it show through but never really been bothered if it does either. Chest pockets are generally used for decoration only. Handwarmers are used for ... er ... warming hands :D

On longer jackets generally LHS - single stud, RHS zip closeure

I've tried many combinations and these are the ones which work for me .... .but it's a personal thing ( aren't all jacket modifications )

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
The inside pocket is the only pocket I use in jackets. Snaps are good and necessary as heavier things can, in my experience, fall out of the pocket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner