Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introducing "Bluesmen" series from VS

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Please meet "Gatemouth"
Gatemouth2-vi.jpg

I like the twisted VS stripe very much. A possible candidate for a monochrome VS stripe as well. :)

He played in several cities. He was even up in Canada. But he was a notorious rambler, never staying in one place for long. I didn't mean a Johnson hat should be in a backwoods country style. But he wasn't exactly a star making huge amounts of money at that time. He was playing for tips on street corners. And being a rambler he probably didn't have a huge wardrobe. I wouldn't be surprised if they lend him a sharp suit and hat for this 1936 promo picture. In my mind I always envision him in a kind of disheveled look. No rags, but a well worn suit and hat probably not of the latest style.

I actually like the look of his stingy very much. I have a beat up English hat, probably early 30s or even earlier, with a two inch brim and straight crown that looks very similar.

It was common for these guys to blow what little money they had on clothes. A good night of gambling could lead to some new threads.

Last edited:

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Ill Go For a "Po BOB" Hat !
bring it on Art !:cool:

Oh yea the Honey Boy is Crazy Cool !

Last edited:

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
It was common for these guys to blow what little money they had on clothes. A good night of gambling could lead to some new threads.

Maybe. Still, I am thinking along the same lines as Art. I just don't see Robert Johnson being as posh as T-Bone Walker, Big Bill Broonzy or other urban bluesmen.

I'm thinking along the same lines Dan as far as pure '30s design. Where I get stuck is his lifestyle was so rural and "day to day" that it wouldn't be clean, wouldn't be new, wouldn't be fancy, so I can see what it wouldn't be, just not what it SHOULD be. Does that make sense? It will most likely be in charcoal or dark brown, it will definitely have a wide ribbon, most likely welted edge and not very distinctive. Remember, "Po Bob". I would love to build something grandiose but it wouldn't fit the character. For me one of the keys is fitting the character of the man to the hat and asking myself, "Would he wear this given the chance"

He also gambled so it was an up and down (mostly down) situation. When guys like him came into money they would buy new clothes. Appearance was a really big deal.

Last edited:

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
He also gambled so it was an up and down (mostly down) situation. When guys like him came into money they would buy new clothes. Appearance was a really big deal.
The more I read the more I know you are right Sir. Having grown up in an African American community your words strike true for a Friday night, but not Sunday morning after getting out of jail ( think juke joints and prohibition LOL). I might have to make two versions, using the classy image in my head first. Thanks for the input, I'm putting it on the block in a few minutes..I've got it!!! yee haw!!!

The more I read the more I know you are right Sir. Having grown up in an African American community your words strike true for a Friday night, but not Sunday morning after getting out of jail ( think juke joints and prohibition LOL). I might have to make two versions, using the classy image in my head first. Thanks for the input, I'm putting it on the block in a few minutes..I've got it!!! yee haw!!!

Same here, I live between DC and Baltimore. :) Guys like Johnson lived in the moment. If they came into money (the more of it the longer the binges) they would buy new clothes and drink and gamble the money away.

Blewbyou

New in Town
Lovin the pinetop, Art.

As you've seen in my pics I've sent you I'm big into music with the blues being the top of the heap in my eyes/ears. I've had a good year this year for concerts. Saw BB King and Buddy Guy both fantastic concerts!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points