Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introduction, fit pics and a reqiest for guidance!

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
IMO..and for my tastes...I think you need 'at least' 1 1/2 " in body length as well as the same in sleeve length for the jacket in your photos.
HD
I'm with HD on this one. You do not want a jacket that feels too short, especially with your first custom leather jacket.
I also agree with what others have said about the CXL leather. Both of my Aero's are FQHH CXL and they are great jackets. Red devil is spot on, if you don't get the CXL you will always wonder what if...
Welcome to the lounge!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I can see adding an inch or two to sleeve length to personal taste (though they don't look wrong to me). Lengthening the body would throw the proportions of the jacket off to my eye (those look like very low waisted jeans??).
Good point about the way the jeans look; don't want a short jacket that looks as long as a freight train. I have long admired the look of a Board Racer except I am not a fan of zip sleeves in the front but prefer zip sleeves in the back. I would also lose the zips in the handwarmer pockets unless you don't mind having the backs of your hands abraded.

Andrew Middleton

New in Town
You guys are sharp...those ARE jeans with a low rise. Every pair I own, with the exception of 1 pair of Levi’s STF, are slim fit. Additionally, I just worked off the last of the weight gained and have a ‘flat spot’ in my lumbar spine that is the result of a serious accident and subsequent spinal fusions. In those pics of my backside I now see my jeans are ill fitting in the waist.

I will ask my wife to confirm measurements from base of collar to the bottom of my belt.

Thanks Gents!!

bn1966

Surprised myself with how comfortable a higher waistline can be..low rise just doesn't cut it anymore :) Higher looks better with my 'Golden Age' smutter....

ProteinNerd

I respectfully disagree with the advice to go high waisted jeans, sorry gents but that is well and truely "dad jeans" and /or Steve Urkel territory right there.

There are plenty of mid rise options that are a happy medium and this is a custom jacket, get the length modded to suit your preferred jeans rise. An inch or two in the body length will make this jacket fine for low or mid rise jeans which you obviously prefer.

Edward

Bartender
Surprised myself with how comfortable a higher waistline can be..low rise just doesn't cut it anymore :) Higher looks better with my 'Golden Age' smutter....

Indeed, I've had the same experience. I've entirely stopped buying trousers on the high street because I don't care for the low waist. Makes it harder (not to mention slightly more expensive to find), but ultimately worth it - what's the point in wearing something uncomfortable, and that I don't like the look of?

I respectfully disagree with the advice to go high waisted jeans, sorry gents but that is well and truely "dad jeans" and /or Steve Urkel territory right there.

I'm not familiar with either of those reference points, but I think I get the gist.

There are plenty of mid rise options that are a happy medium and this is a custom jacket, get the length modded to suit your preferred jeans rise. An inch or two in the body length will make this jacket fine for low or mid rise jeans which you obviously prefer.

You'll find a wide range of viewpoints on this in Outerwear, as this seems to be uniquely a section of the Lounge which attracts a lot of folks who have little or no interest in the period clothing around which the Lounge was originally built. It's all subjective opinion in the end, of course.

Vezio

One of the Regulars
I think the style of this jacket is made for you.
Looking at the pictures you posted I would say that even the size 38 is the right one, obviously with some adjustments to the back and sleeve length.
The shoulder width is perfect, both front and back! In the pictures it is clearly seen, however, that you wear only a thin shirt, and I think I understood that problems appear when you zip the jacket.
If you feel your chest tighten only by wearing a shirt, you must surely choose a larger size: but you must also consider that, as a consequence, the width of the shoulders, the length of the sleeves and the back length will also increase.
In general, regarding the sleeves length, I would add only 1 ", considering also the increase of the shoulders for a possible size 40.
For the back length (and therefore anterior!) I have a dogma: sweaters, shirts, t-shirts and belts must always be covered by the jacket!
A procedure that you could implement to establish a length you like is: measure the distance between the lower edge of the jacket you are wearing (if you still own it) and the seam between the belt and the pocket of your jeans.
If you have already returned the jacket, not bad: you can do the same thing, you can clearly see where the edge arrives by your back photo.
You will have to add this measure to that of 24.75 " of the test jacket, obtaining the length you think is appropriate.
I think, however, that 26.5" is a right length for your height.
Premier Half Belt VezioPNG.png

This is the back length of my Premier Half Belt jacket: size 40, 24.5".
The jeans I wear is a Levi's 501 Original Fit model with a regular waist.
I could have also chosen a shorter length, like 24.00 ", but I didn't want to risk for my first Aero jacket: better a bit longer than too short!
This is obviously a personal consideration, but I suggest you to buy the Board Racer model. It's perfect for you!
Vezio.

A-1

One Too Many
Hi Andrew!!!
Great feedback here! Listen to these guys!
And wear the pants you want. Don’t let the jacket length dictate your pants, haha.
I don’t know if it has been mentioned before but if you go CXL, ask Carrie if you should adjust the measurements a little. Go a little wider in the chest maybe.
In the end, it’s all about your personal feeling wearing it. You have to feel badass and comfy in it, otherwise you won’t wear it.
In my opinion, this jacket in your size would be an awesome look!
Ah, and if I had the choice, handwarmer pockets, always!

Andrew Middleton

New in Town
PN and A-1 are right...I am a slim fit kind of guy. Couldn’t rock the high waisted pants if I wanted to! Love the look on others, but can’t do it...wish I could to justify some Viberg engineer boots! HA!

As far as the jacket, I think the feedback about back length is spot on. After being measured by a tailor this weekend and poring over pics and my measurement, I don’t think I need that much more length on the back. Those darn horizontal creases...wish I had asked my wife to pull them out and taken a pic then. I think 25.5” (+ getting the length back from the creases) would be perfect...would cover my belt but stay true to the style of the jacket (Board Racer/Seven).

Thanks again for the help fellas!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points