Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introductions and your help

swinggal

One Too Many
I agree, clip on suspenders are not a good look - anytime! They are especially dangerous if you plan to dance too. I once saw a girl get hit in the the face with a wild flyiing clip on brace.

crazylegsmurphy

One of the Regulars
Hey all,

Ok, so I think this thing is coming together. Here are the shoes I recently got...what do you think?

suit_02.jpg

suit_03.jpg

You can also see the pant leg, which is much closer to the actual suit color. It almost looks gray. There is just a hint of green in the suit, but it's not aqua, like the other pic.

Canadave said:
What THEY said about clip-ons. Many dry-cleaners will sew on the suspender buttons for free, if you get the pants cleaned.

All I can say is that clip ons are life savers for that rented tux that you wouldn't own on a dare. Saved me this weekend. :p
CL, the shoes look fine. They are not quite as tapered as those from the golden age but they will give it the right feel. The most important part is---are they comfortable? I won't even mention the rented shoes. PU! My feet still hurt. :kick: :rage:

Regards to all,

J

crazylegsmurphy

One of the Regulars
Ya, they are pretty wide...It's hard to find affordable vintage clothing in this city for some reason. These were about $45 from Sears.

They are comfy though. I tried a few pairs on and these were actually pretty nice.

I hope in the future, and with your guys' help I can get a few suits together that are as close as I can get...for now...if I get anything that looks too lame (keeping in mind this is my first attempt) then please let me know...I'll keep looking.

I have until June 29th to get something together...so I appreciate the comments! :)

Mr. Sable

A-List Customer
Murph, if you're interested (and if it works), I saw a store in the TD Square - ground floor across from the Starbucks that sells the white and black wingtips! Those might work with a pinstripe suit if you get one down the line.

I recently bought a new taupe suit, but it doesn't work with the Adventurebilt at all - looks swell with my Robert Hall fedora though.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
th_DSC01440.jpg

Here is a picture of my Dad taken in 1938 with a sharp looking suit. He said it was navy blue. Notice the shoes - I believe they are white.

Zach R.

Practically Family
Speaking of wingtips, how prevalent were black and white two-toned wingtips during the Golden era? Also, what do you think would look best with a pair(sportcoat combo, suit, etc)? I assume they are for a more casual look rather than a dressy one.

crazylegsmurphy

One of the Regulars
Hey again!

Thanks for all your input! So I was looking around today and I found this tie, and suspenders. What do you think? I was trying to find a tie that hinted at the yellow, the brown, and the gray/green of the suit...this has just about all of those colors. :D

suit_04.jpg

suit_06.jpg

suit_07.jpg

Cool?

Wild Root

Gone Home
First, I like to welcome you to the lounge. You’ll find that a lot of guys have very good info for you here and every one is more then happy to help a new comer.

I have to say that for a beginner you’re really doing well. As for the suspenders, I would choose a plane solid color and not something patterned. But, if you keep your coat on, you’ll be fine.

What I have found as a good source of reference is old Sears Catalogs and movies from the period. Yes, most of the movies are all black and white, but look at the cut and if it’s a real clear print, you can even see the fibers in the fabric. The neck tie you have there looks nice and will work well for what you’re going to do. But, one thing’s for sure, modern ties are very long. In the 30’s and 40’s ties were shorter because pants were worn higher and also most men wore three piece suits.

Two tones:

They wore them plenty in the old days! I have a movie with Bing Crosby and it’s from the early 30’s. Has him in them two tones through the whole film! Even when he’s working on building a house! Big Man, that photo of your father is great!!! And yes, those are white shoes he’s got on! Lots of men wore white bucks in the late 30’s and 40’s. Big Band leaders pioneered this look with a dark suit and white shoes. Very sharp!

Here are a few photos for you to look at and analyze.

Hope these help you!

Root.
searscat193663bt.jpg

58kw.jpg

71vq.jpg

magictown5ts.jpg

Alright, when is that Sears ad from? I have a pair of the white Breezy Comfort shoes. Never thought they were that old. :p
I would also like two pairs of each of the brown and gray suede. Where do I send my eight dollars?
CLM, I like the tie and handkerchief combo. They complement each other. I am not sure about the suspenders but Root is right they will be under your coat anyway. ;)
I love two tone shoes. I have a pair of the black and whites as well as a few of the brown and whites. The black was less common but the Blue and white and green and whites are by far the least common. I only know about the blue and whites because my uncle told me about having a pair. I have never actually seen a pair in person or in pictures. :cry: The green and whites are just odd. :eek:

Regards to all,

J

P.S. I know Root or Matt will post a picture of blue and whites as soon as I am done writing this. ;)

crazylegsmurphy

One of the Regulars
I realized on closer inspection...the suspenders looked too much like 80's Tom Cruise!

I went and got a pair of tan ones...so those should work better. I also got some fancy socks like I saw Matt D wearing...I remembered that they should continue the pants...so I hope they work.

I'll post pics when I get home.

Oh...question. I need to sew the buttons on the pants for the suspenders. Where should they be roughly? Do they go on the outside or inside of the pant?

Thanks!

Wild Root

Gone Home
(Oh...question. I need to sew the buttons on the pants for the suspenders. Where should they be roughly? Do they go on the outside or inside of the pant?)

Ok, you can have them on the out side, or the inside. You can also have the front set on the inside and the two in the back on the out side. I have a few suits with the buttons on the out side of the waistband. I like that look my self.

They should be about two or three inches apart and there should be six total. Here is a photo that might give you a better idea of where they are to go seeing I'm not always that good at describing things.

Root.

bulesuit24un.jpg

crazylegsmurphy

One of the Regulars
Ok sweet!

If the recent additions work with the suit then we are pretty much done. I got a white shirt, but it was insanely wide in the chest, so I need to take it back and see if I can get one that is tighter.

In the mean time, here are some pics of the suspenders and socks...If they are good, I'll sew on the buttons, and then take a pic of me actually wearing this bad boy!

suit_08.jpg

crazylegsmurphy

One of the Regulars
Hey!

Ok so I took back those other shoes and got these ones. I really like the wingtip style, but these are more tapered and look better.

suit_09.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
YES! I have to say I like the cap-toe shoes better. They look very smooth and also they were a popular style in the 30's and 40's.

You're going to look rather sharp I'm sure of that. But, let us see some photos of you in the threads!

Root.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21