Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inverness Cape

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I got this Inverness Cape a couple of months ago, and am just getting around to posting a picture of it. I had wanted a cape, and got a nice wool one from Casco Bay Woolens. But I kept searching and finally found this. It's made by Mister Antony, in Glasgow, Scotland. Here is the link: http://www.misterantony.com/ I've only worn it once so far, during a huge rainstorm here in New York, and I must say, it's sensational. Kept me completely dry, at least as far down as it reached. It's made from light waterproof polyester, and is very light weight. Amazingly, it breathes very well, so you don't feel like you're wearing a rubber suit. I added the top hat because how often do you get to wear a top hat, after all?

InvernessCape.jpg

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Those type of raincoats....

....Are the same type they use at West Point, The Citadel, and VMI. I had one when I was a cadet and they are awesome. The would keep you totally dry and not clammy even in Charleston S.C. When we wore it, we'd wear a "wheel" hat with a rain cover. You could carry a double load of books under your arms and never get a drop on them even in sheets of rain.

The sell them at the Scotland store in Williamsburg.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
I bought one o those some years ago after a long search, and it's great. You do get some glances and the inevitable stupid Holmes remark, but it looks nice, keeps you dry, and you can freely move your arms.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Rather improvident. If somebody cracks a Holmes joke, their risk is limited to our flabbergasting them by stating what they are by profession, what the state of their marriage is, and that they were in the tropics 37 days ago.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Smashing!

Wow, that's a beaut. I've wanted one of these ever since I went through a whole Sherlock Holmes/Jekyll & Hyde/Dorian Grey/general Victoriana phase when I was teenager. This is me in 1968!

master_detective.jpg

(I've still got that deerstalker cap - which one of my parents' friends had purchased for me on a trip to the UK - but it's now two sizes too small for me.)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Doctor Strange said:
Wow, that's a beaut. I've wanted one of these ever since I went through a whole Sherlock Holmes/Jekyll & Hyde/Dorian Grey/general Victoriana phase when I was teenager. This is me in 1968!

(I've still got that deerstalker cap - which one of my parents' friends had purchased for me on a trip to the UK - but it's now two sizes too small for me.)
It was only about $110, plus shipping. A bargain!

Panache

A-List Customer
To revive an older thread

Last Fall I tried on of the lightweight Mr Anthony band Inverness capes and found them to be a very good raincoat for the money, they also fold into a very small tidy package which makes them ideal for carrying with one when the weather is uncertain.

I was tempted to buy it but decided against it.

Recently I had the opportunity to purchase an Inverness Cape from a friend of mine who had sewn it for himself. On its completion he found it was too large so I got a great deal on it. I must say that I like it more than even my old London Fog Trench coat. The design is great for carrying things under the protection of the top part of the cape.

I would post a picture but the ones I have are it being worn with Highland Attire.

Cheers

Panache

Dr Kilroy

One of the Regulars
I hope this is not a crime to revive the thread. :)

What exactly is the difference between an Inverness coat and Inverness cape? The article on Wikipedia on this subject is very unclear and I have found nothing in more authoritative places. ;)

Best regards, Dr

CircuitRider

One of the Regulars
I got this Inverness Cape a couple of months ago, and am just getting around to posting a picture of it. I had wanted a cape, and got a nice wool one from Casco Bay Woolens. But I kept searching and finally found this. It's made by Mister Antony, in Glasgow, Scotland. Here is the link: http://www.misterantony.com/ I've only worn it once so far, during a huge rainstorm here in New York, and I must say, it's sensational. Kept me completely dry, at least as far down as it reached. It's made from light waterproof polyester, and is very light weight. Amazingly, it breathes very well, so you don't feel like you're wearing a rubber suit. I added the top hat because how often do you get to wear a top hat, after all?

InvernessCape.jpg

Top Hat nails it!:cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo