Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is anyone big on wearing clothing from the 1920's...or 1930's?

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
marquise said:
147159948_0c11185e7e.jpg

Magnificent!! I totally agree with you about the 30s. If I had to narrow it down to a favourite span of 10 years I'd pick 1927-1937. The clothes, the art deco, the slang, the hair, the movies, the music -- what's not to love!!??

Mojito

One Too Many
Those are all great looks, Marquise - Dustbowl or no, absolutely chic! I particularly like the dress in what looks like a rust coloured red - wonderfully shot in the contrasting green bathroom. Another brilliant blue velvet as well...I think I've mentioned elsewhere how much I love the sapphires, midnights and cobalts of the 20s/30s.

marquise

Familiar Face
Jitterbugdoll--
That's the Streamliner diner, one of my favorite places in town. It's originally from Massachusetts, but SCAD brought it down here & landed it smack in the ghetto, in a parking lot on Henry street.. Being owned & operated by the college makes for odd hours & mediocre food, but I love to sit there & have a chocolate malt on occasion. It's been restored to its 1938 goodness, with original stained glass & deco woodwork!

streamliner_1.jpg

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
marquise said:
Jitterbugdoll--
That's the Streamliner diner, one of my favorite places in town. It's originally from Massachusetts, but SCAD brought it down here & landed it smack in the ghetto, in a parking lot on Henry street.. Being owned & operated by the college makes for odd hours & mediocre food, but I love to sit there & have a chocolate malt on occasion. It's been restored to its 1938 goodness, with original stained glass & deco woodwork!

streamliner_1.jpg

I am definitely going to stop by there when I visit--it makes a perfect backdrop for photos!

marquise

Familiar Face
Pigeon Toe--

We've only just started writing songs, so won't be out & about for a bit! The only things we're playing now are our friends' parties, but give us about three months & a homemade album will probably be out. Mostly Woody Guthrie & Bessie Smith covers, along with our own songs of floods plains, gin, Jesus, corrupt politics, trainhopping, and sawed-off shotguns. ;)

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Your band sounds kind of like my friend's! They used to have a myspace, I think, but now it's no longer, probably since they graduated high school last year and all went off to separate colleges. It was two guys (who both sang), one on guitar, one on banjo, a female drummer and a female singer. They wrote the craziest songs about the same sort of things you mentioned, I love it. And one of the guys has the DEEPEST voice ever, it was so strange and perfect for their music. It's too bad they don't have a myspace anymore, cos they were great!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Marquise, your pictures are absolutely stunning! You have the look down, and very artistically. Miss Sis, I adore the pics you posted as well, especially the maid one! I have been wanting to make one of those outfits for a while :)

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Lauren, unfortunately you can't see the front of the bodice but it has a sort of inset dickey that has pleats either side of the centre placket. The skirt has two inverted pleats at the front and one at the centre back. I was really pleased with how it came out and will have to post a pic of the pattern I used which is an original 30s one.

The aprons, hats and collars I just made up the pattern. Actually I need to finish the cuffs. They weren't finished in time for the event. I had the typical British 'Nippy' in mind. They were waitresses who worked in the famous Lyons Corner Tea Houses in the 1930s - ???? and were very iconic. They were famous for looking really smart and giving excellent service. There were rules about exactly how they could wear their hair and hats etc!

Only Sleeping

New in Town

I subscribe what I like to refer to as a faux 1930s aesthetic.
I'm a poor graduate student, so I don't go all out with gowns and such, but I dress in vintage everyday, so I need something functional that will hold up but still contain the atmosphere of the 1930s.

Below I'll showcase my 1920s and 1930s items that I mix with 1940s & 1950s items.

Croched Red Dress - late 1930s

Lace Dress with matching peach slip

1930s teal cape with metal clasps on neck

On to the hats!
Cloche
My most prized possession: my cloche hat. My first ebay purchase back in 1999... for $45!

Straw Cloche
Straw cloche (with spit curl "for good luck", as Amy_Jeanne says!)

Butter
Butter yellow cloche.

Felt Gray
Cloche hat I felted myself.

Red Beret
I also have about 10 berets that I wear on a rotating basis, mostly because I commute by bicycle and because my pincurls always turn out best in the front.

yay! Thanks for letting me share.

**I don't know what's up with the html, so I linked each one.

P

Paul

You got some really nice outfits.
I like how you writen what your wearing below the photo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy