Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Denim the new Leather - Collectable jackets?

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I feel in denim, they are more collectors who buy stuff to just collect them. And seeing the life of denim thing is probably around 5 years max if worn often, theoretically, so there is more reason to buy more especially since they are almost always a limited editionin one way or another... deadstock fabric, special order small batch fabric, or collaboration, or anniversary edition etc.
They are far more creative in marketing than mtm leather jacket, main reason i uninstalled IG is because i followed just local denim brands and i was bombarded daily with post of their limited run, preorder, or mtm brand have special cloth only to fit for x number of pairs so you have to reserve your spot NOW. Last call for this special thing, etc. Made me crazy. I hated it.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
You're right, it's peanuts!

View attachment 322217
This is 'Infinity', the world's most expensive denim jacket, created by designers Karl Mathers and Stuart Hughes.
It was commissioned by "a famous musician" for the price of £3.5-million ($4.6M US) and contains over 4.6 pounds of 24k gold and platinum studs, and 121 carats of flawless diamonds -- including gigantic ones for the button accents.

It is peanuts compared to that lol Rich people have weird expensive quirks

dwilson

A-List Customer
The Roy jacket is an exception but it does kind of prove the point that you can make some profit denim collecting. I think most people in the know saw mint Roy stuff already had a really high resale and then when he quit the scene things shot up. If you managed to scoop up a bunch of stock before he announced it you could be looking at a decent return.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Who is this Roy and why don’t I have anything by him?!?!?
I wish someone would’ve told me before he went and sold his sewing machines...
Oh well, I’ve fallen into most of the rabbit holes I found so I might’ve gotten lucky not learning about this one!

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Oh well, I’ve fallen into most of the rabbit holes I found so I might’ve gotten lucky not learning about this one!

and he was close to your hood too... somewhere in Oakland

dwilson

A-List Customer

I appreciated his work and really dug the scalloped pockets but honestly his jeans fits didn't look good to me. Kinda meh denim as well. The brand always felt a bit overhyped to me due to the one man aspect of it.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
denim sewing machine would do well on leather jacket I imagine, I don't know, just assumption, I imagine it would be fresh to have a leather jacket with different stitching, different thread color and gauge like on jeans.
very strange in denim, a one person operation choose to do series, rather than just truly bespoke full custom route.. but again perhaps in denim world they love more historical fit, or standard pattern and try to find their ideal size based on each brand's sizing chart and then shrink or stretch them rather than going custom fit for their body is considered part of their enjoyment from what I read in denim forums, and also since the fabrics is also shrink and stretch throughout their entire life.. going bespoke custom size denim would be a waste too since there are just simply too many of them in different fabrics and fit, and fly construction whatever to choose from, and some would just be exactly what you want already.
but man, I can see it gets boring doing the same thing over and over again all alone by yourself. and making pants is requiring a lot of concentration than making wristband, belt or wallets or keychain or whatever small leathercraft where you can just go automation with your muscle memory while daydreaming of something fun.

e0d.jpg

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
denim sewing machine would do well on leather jacket I imagine, I don't know, just assumption, I imagine it would be fresh to have a leather jacket with different stitching, different thread color and gauge like on jeans.
very strange in denim, a one person operation choose to do series, rather than just truly bespoke full custom route.. but again perhaps in denim world they love more historical fit, or standard pattern and try to find their ideal size based on each brand's sizing chart and then shrink or stretch them rather than going custom fit for their body is considered part of their enjoyment from what I read in denim forums, and also since the fabrics is also shrink and stretch throughout their entire life.. going bespoke custom size denim would be a waste too since there are just simply too many of them in different fabrics and fit, and fly construction whatever to choose from, and some would just be exactly what you want already.
but man, I can see it gets boring doing the same thing over and over again all alone by yourself. and making pants is requiring a lot of concentration than making wristband, belt or wallets or keychain or whatever small leathercraft where you can just go automation with your muscle memory while daydreaming of something fun.
He sold off all of his machines from what I understand, so even if this did work, he wouldn't be doing it. Also, I'm pretty sure he just got out of making clothes altogether.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
He sold off all of his machines from what I understand, so even if this did work, he wouldn't be doing it. Also, I'm pretty sure he just got out of making clothes altogether.
Yeah i saw it wrapped in celophane, just theoretically why don't denim brands make more leather jackets.

Mich486

One Too Many

LOL so true... at this point it’s a bit like wearing bell bottoms well into the 80s thinking they are the trend of the day.

The only thing missing in the above picture is some weirdly named coffee with a vaguely Italian name :)

mihai

A-List Customer
The denim collecting trend gained momentum the last 10-15 years.
Even Levi's has Authorized vintage collection - actually worn Levi denim that is recuperated, cleaned/mended and sold again. The prices are way higher than market average prices.
I've seen lately that there is a trend with the Wrangler jackets, even the ones from 70's, 80's with asking prices of 2-300$. I mean... seriously?!
And in general if you search ebay you'll see often whatever denim rags over evaluated (being listed as vintage, cool, rare...).

Personally I'm not into collabs/artist/creator things. For spare time/special occasions, I prefer reproduction/heritage denim. Also I wouldn't fade/wear a rare denim. Let it alone wear it till destruction when it's worth big $$$.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner