Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it okay to be patriotic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Mad Hatter said:
Sure, here's the Google for "Democrat Party" slur.

There are 24,000 hits; you can wade through them at your leisure.

Only needed to go down to the 2nd. You're complaining way out of context. :rolleyes:

my die-hard Democrat husband

Is the quote you responded too. She was not describing the party but an individual supporter of it. Which matches both what I said and, ironically, the NYT article on your google search.

An alternative view is that it’s called the Democratic Party. The Democratic Party itself takes this view, and many nonpartisan authorities agree. The American Heritage College Dictionary, for example, defines the noun “Democratic Party” as “One of the two major US political parties, owing its origin to a split in the Democratic-Republican Party under Andrew Jackson in 1828.” (It defines “Democrat n” as “A Democratic Party member” and “Democratic adj” as “Of, relating to, or characteristic of the Democratic Party,” but gives no definition for—indeed, makes no mention of—“Democrat Party n” or “Democrat adj”.) Other dictionaries, and reference works generally, appear to be unanimous on these points. The broader literate public also comes down on the “Democratic” side, as indicated by frequency of usage. A Google search for “Democratic Party” yields around forty million hits. “Democrat Party” fetches fewer than two million.

She used it in the correct context, as apparently the Democratic Party does when referring to its member Democrats. Lighten up, Francis.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Donate blood

The Defense Department’s Armed Services Blood Program Office supplies all deployed forces with blood collected from the 21 military donor centers in the United States, and when necessary purchases some blood from civilian collection agencies.

Locations of local donor centers and other information is available at http://www.tricare.osd.mil/asbpo/.

If there is no military donor center nearby, Fitzpatrick said, people can still help the Armed Services Blood Program Office by supporting agencies where the Armed Services Blood Center purchases blood. These include America’s Blood Centers at http://www.americasblood.org/ and the American Red Cross at http://www.redcross.org/donate/give/.

If you have any questions about the entire blood donation process, go to the Armed Forces Blood Program Office Web site at http://www.tricare.osd.mil/asbpo/donor_info/donating.htm

deanglen

Phil said:
Today in my government class, our teachers had to go over some 9/11 topics. A lot of them were good questions that required deep thought. The one question that really struck me though is also the title of this thread, "Is okay to be patriotic?" There was a mix of answers, some no's, some yes', and the in-betweens. Now, I'm not saying I had the most moving speech ever, but patriotism is something I feel very strongly about. I know the Lounge has members overseas, so while I feel that you too should love your country, this patriotism pertains to American patriotism. I feel that every single American should love and care about America. I don't care what your lifestyle is, your loyalty to America should never come into question. You should be proud to wear red, white, and blue. If you don't love America, I want you out of my country, and do hurry before you choke on the sweet air of freedom. You love and respect this country that we fought England for. Many men fought and died so that this country could be what it is today, and to not be patriotic is just disgracing them and everything our country stands for.

Yes.

dean

carebear

From Geoffrey Household's "Rogue Male" (1939). About a British hunter who sets out to stalk Hitler and the consequences, great adventure.

After he meets one of his pursuers who is convinced he must be an agent of some sort.

"'... A gentleman like you wouldn't be against his own country.'

Wouldn't he? I don't know. I distrust patriotism; the reasonable man can find little enough in these days that is worth dying for. But dying against - there's enough iniquity in Europe to carry the most urbane or decadent into battle."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy