Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

is the hat too small?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think the hat looks great! Sounds like you have the same problems I do. The best for me is 7 1/4 sort of. My Borsalino and Dobbs are on the small side which I can still wear. My 7 1/4 Stetsons are on the large side and so is my Dobbs Lords Hat. If I go to 7 3/8 they are way too large. I am interested in one of them stretchers that are talked about. What brand and where do you buy them? Thanks
her

Hi

If you can stretch a hat, one whole size, you're lucky. Hat Stretchers all seem to be the same. I bought one from Shepler's for $11.00 and two at Harbor Freight for $2.00 and they're exactly the same as far as I can tell. A few people make stretchers that touch more of the hat band, but I haven't seem one for sale at any local hat places.

Later

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I think your hat might be a little too small, but it isn't a lot too small. This photo shows what might be considered a little too small.

jfkhat-1.jpg

And this photo shows what a lot too small looks like. Check out the guy on Oswald's right side. It looks like he's wearing his little brother's Resistol.

RubyOswald60.jpg

AF

howardeye

Practically Family
Hi

If you can stretch a hat, one whole size, you're lucky. Hat Stretchers all seem to be the same. I bought one from Shepler's for $11.00 and two at Harbor Freight for $2.00 and they're exactly the same as far as I can tell. A few people make stretchers that touch more of the hat band, but I haven't seem one for sale at any local hat places.
Later

Thank you

Detective_Noir

One of the Regulars
Even the Great Humphrey Bogart Himself had a fedora that sat above his ears
T175662~Humphrey-Bogart-Posters.jpg

blog-post-4-Humphrey-Bogart.jpg

Humphrey+Bogart.jpg

38528-3_humphrey_bogart.jpg

guess it was normal back then to have a raised up hat... although there are exclusions because most of his films and photos showed him cocking his hat to the side

Detective_Noir

One of the Regulars
Speaking of which, you almost never see hats in old pictures that sit as low as people these days seem to think they should.
Youre Right!
public_enemies_c.jpg

9a4ffbb5c44ae1000cb311f56a9eef5f.jpg

Mickey_Cohen_real_life_2.jpg
(Look At the Bash on that Hat!)
couldnt find a photo of the actual john dillinger so i used depps presentation of him. the only time i see the hat down to the ears

Walt

One of the Regulars
As long as you like how the hat looks on you and it doesn't hurt your head to get it to where you want it or go past your ears then that's all that matters--that is to say, with the exception of those two things as long as you like the look of it and are happy then it is neither too small or too big.

My personal opinion is it looks just fine. That's all it is, my opinion and that's all anyone else can give. There is no perfect or single correct answer other than the one to the question, Do you like the look of it?

Cheers!

Frankie Lamb

One of the Regulars
Then of course there's always that question; "Does it make my butt look too big?"
In other words, wear the hat, don't let the hat wear you !!
Frank lamb
Just my opinion, I could be wrong

TomS

One Too Many
I think its pretty close to a *good* fit. As other Loungers have suggested, just put it on a hat jack for a bit and it should be fine.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Sir; As many others have opined the definition of fit, or specifically too small, belongs to you to define. The fit that each of us see as appropirate is ours to own. I do not see any opinion as having more weight than another. This of course begets the obvious visuals of "Too small" or "Too big." These visuals do not need additonal clarifications as generally we agree upon these. I see your hat as fine. Fine as based upon your pic conveying comfort in wearing the hat. If you look uncomfortable, we surely see you as uncomfortable.

I get the comment on occasion that my hats need to be bigger. PM's I have recieved suggest that the hats I have need to touch my ears. Truthfully I do have hats that fit that way and find them uncomfortable. I enjoy my definition of "fits." I presume that my pics show me comfortably wearing my chosen size. Normally, I do not defend what I find comfortable, I like it, and as I am an older gentleman and do not depend on many others opinions as what is "good" for me. Below is an example of one of my custom hats that I am excited to wear each time. Love the fit and features. It obviousely does not touch my ears or rest low on the forehead. It is totally comfortbale. No marks on my scalp when I remove the hat. I can snug it down a bit more, in the advent of a big breezy day.
IMG_3331-M.jpg

I hope that my response, encouraging you to define for youself what is a "fit" is helpfull. Previous folks havs opined that the hat is in the general range of fit. Take heed that a couple of the recent pics showing famous historic movie folks wearing hats do show hats worn higher than the top of the ears. If I could meet those characters, I would have a hard time teling those historic figures that they are wearing mis-sized hats. They do the hats justice, IMO.

It remains to you to decide - DOES THE HAT FIT? What do you think at this point? DOES THE HAT FIT?

Best wishes, Eric -

Last edited:
A hat touching my ears would drive me nuts, some say it is more of a short putt if that. My hats fit me comfortably with about a thumbs width between ear top and brim. Most head measuring instructions for hat sizing say to measure 3/4 to an inch above your ears & eyebrows. That is a guideline for most folks. Lots of photos show hats cocked to one side = Bogey & Capone. They seldom show the low side which is probably close to touching that ear. A small hat is easily determined by the marks on my forehead when I take it off....HTH

Mystic

Practically Family
Then of course there's always that question; "Does it make my butt look too big?"
In other words, wear the hat, don't let the hat wear you !!
Frank lamb
Just my opinion, I could be wrong

Wheee...

If your hat makes your butt look to big....
It's a safe bet that your butt is too BIG......:rofl:

This hat looks fine to me.......

if it's comfortable to wear....it fits.

I think the brim flange and sweat placement of some hats can make a hat look too big or too small while actually fitting the head rather well.

I also think the hat wearer is usually more critical of the looks of a hat and the way it looks on them than others that see them wearing it.

Ok, I'm done thinking for today :p

Preacher Man

A-List Customer
Hey Detective, I have to whole heartedly agree with Short Balding Guy. He's exactly right, if your hat looks good on you, to you, and if it feels good on your head, then you've got a winning combination which means a fit that suits you. Go for it. You can't really tell from those old movie pics just where their hats really came down to their ears or not, they're all cocked way over to one side. One side is way above their ear, the other has to be touching or near touching their other ear. In one way I wear my hats much like Short Balding Guy, sitting pretty much straight across, not tilted much toward either side, but a little different from him, I wear my hats lower on my head. It's all up to the wearer. Short Balding Guy's hats look great on him, he looks good wearing 'em. I like the way my hats look on me. So like Short Balding Guy, I encourage you to "define for yourself" what fit works for you. When you do that, you won't be wrong!
Take care and enjoy wearing your hats!

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
Hey Detective, I have to whole heartedly agree with Short Balding Guy. He's exactly right, if your hat looks good on you, to you, and if it feels good on your head, then you've got a winning combination which means a fit that suits you. Go for it. You can't really tell from those old movie pics just where their hats really came down to their ears or not, they're all cocked way over to one side. One side is way above their ear, the other has to be touching or near touching their other ear. In one way I wear my hats much like Short Balding Guy, sitting pretty much straight across, not tilted much toward either side, but a little different from him, I wear my hats lower on my head. It's all up to the wearer. Short Balding Guy's hats look great on him, he looks good wearing 'em. I like the way my hats look on me. So like Short Balding Guy, I encourage you to "define for yourself" what fit works for you. When you do that, you won't be wrong!
Take care and enjoy wearing your hats!

This is off topic and really none of my business so please excuse me for being so forward,I was just wondering where abouts in Kentucky you were as I have a brother that lives just outside of Louisville?

Preacher Man

A-List Customer
This is off topic and really none of my business so please excuse me for being so forward,I was just wondering where abouts in Kentucky you were as I have a brother that lives just outside of Louisville?

Good Morning Nice Hat!
You're not forward sir, just asking a question and there's no harm in that. I live in Lincoln County, about 80 miles south east of Louisville, in Stanford, KY. I pastor Willow Grove Baptist Church just outside of Danville, KY on US 150 East. Glad you asked! Nice talking with you. Anytime!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic