Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there a good time to sell a basically unworn Size 40 Lost Worlds A2 on eBay?

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
Fanch was so right, if a jacket isn't comfortable and you don't wear it, what's the point? I have a Lost Worlds Seal Brown size 40 in goat that I only have worn out once and slept in a few times to see if it would stretch (crazy as that sounds, or is it?). It's a bummer in the summer that I didn't just return it the first week when I had a chance; but such is life. I liked the trim fit, although I must admit that for all the abuse he takes, Stuart warned me about small armhole "culture shock." I probably should have stuck with my original plan to drive to San Diego and get an A2, or similar weight jacket, at Gibson and Barnes AFTER I'VE TRIED IT ON; but I'm not going to jump off a bridge.
So anyway I figure I want to sell it on eBay. It cost a grand so what seems like the right price? There's a similar jacket that's been offered starting at a high price that's now down to $325 BIN. It's modified which probably ain't cool. Instead of LW's regular A2 design, this one has slash pockets with snaps. Also a size 40 is probably on the smallish side. Any help appreciated. I don't have to sell it this minute and if Fanch or some other knowledgable person says wait until September or something similar, I'll probably go that route.

Last edited:

majormajor

One Too Many
I have a whole bunch of stuff that I need to sell, but I won't bother now until the back end of the summer. Folks (IMHO) are simply less likely to bid for outerwear if they can't wear it immediately.

Pricewise, I guess you need to decide what you need back for it. I would aim for around $750. Sizewise, a 40 is pretty big in the Asian market, so make sure you post a few links to your sale on some of the Japanese blogs. Good luck:D;)

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I would tend to hold onto the A-2 until at least late August. Personally as an only occasional seller, I would rather sell for less money by restricting my sale to the US market rather than go through the hassle of dealing with an international shipment.

Vespizarre, on another note: If and when you are able to make the trip to G&B, be sure to look at their A-NJ-3, which has the comfort of the bi-swing back and underarm gussets, and is IMO the finest knit jacket on the market. If you must buy an A-2, consider their historic Mark 31 (goat) or Mark 41 or 43 (horse) rather than their "regular" Air Force or Civil A-2 jackets. When you visit the G&B factory, set aside at least a half day so you won't be rushed when you view and try on stuff there. :D

HorseHide

One of the Regulars
And now for a contrary view...

First, expecting to get $750 for the jacket is IMHO "wildly optimistic". I've found a good rule of thumb to be half of retail for a jacket in good shape.

Second, while there are more buyers in late summer early fall there are also more sellers. The potential buyer knows what you have and if it is a good jacket priced fairly it will sell in any season.

My 2 cents

After using eBay for selling and buying for 14 years, I'd recommend late summer / early fall. Seasonal items do in fact rely upon good timing.
Good luck.

Brettafett

One Too Many
Hi there,
Why not start by showcasing it here and then putting it up in the Classifieds?
Who knows, someone may like it and put in an offer, or know somebody who knows somebody...
No harm.
Pics and measurements please ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred