Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there a way to safely soften vintage stiff leather jackets?

Raul

One of the Regulars
I was wondering if there is a way to soften a vintage leather jacket (horsehide or steerhide) that is both effective and safe for the hide.
Sometimes vintage jackets are stiff and being able to soften them a bit would make the wearing much more comfortable.
Any experience or idea? Thanks

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Yes:
https://www.urad.com/products/softener

I would suggest the Urad normal + Tenderly, and you may want a couple of them, as this product soaks in rapidly.
Expect to apply 2-3 coats of Tenderly first.

Don't use the Urad normal until you have it well softened up.

Ideally - place the jacket in a sunny area (not too hot) for ~ 10 minutes prior to applying the first coat of Tenderly. Work it in gently. Do NOT try and unnaturally heat the jacket other than sunlight, or be wearing the jacket (that's maybe even more effective).

Last edited:

zebedee

One Too Many
Wearing them in rainfall will do it. Putting them in a pillow case and cold wash with water only will soften leather up, but it's not really necessary.

I solved the problem completely by buying goatskin jackets.

This! Without fail. Softens leather up to 30% in my approximate estimate, sometimes more.

646_1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner