Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this hat too tall for me?

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Torpedo,

I would agee with with DonCarlos and follow the advice of HarpPlayerGene.

The hats per se look good but your face is not full enough to wear them well.

Tom

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hello everybody,

Well, I think you did not make a good appraisal of the real meaning of the thread: I just wanted you to say the hat was perfect, so getting reassurance. Thanks for ruining my day :D :D :D

Now seriously, I want to thank all of you for all of the opinions and assessments, which was the reason I put the question in the first place: in order to confirm the impression I had about the hat not suiting me.

I do not think it is a question of me not being used to tall crowns or wide brims - I have other hats with the same, or similar, dimensions (and you have seen many of them in the "What hat are you wearing today" thread), but in this case I felt there was something wrong with the dimensions/crease/style combination.

I have been tweaking the hat, and have implemented a couple of the suggestions you made: lowering the frontal "V" a little bit, and deepening the center dent; I lowered the rear "V" a little too, in order to keep the rake balanced.

I think the changes are noticeable enough as to improve the hat's appearance on my head, but not so radical as to change the overall look, so keeping the original style.

I will post photos as soon as possible.

BTW, I understand some of you still thought the hat was fine as it came, but I really felt like it could be improved - or at least, that it could be altered to something I could be more comfortable with in this particular instance of hat. I value your opinions too, because they are as sincere as the others.

Regards!

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
IMHO, as it were, so to speak. There is way too much concern over this hat. Folks, it's a hat! It looks great! Torpedo has a face - and a head. It's his face and head. It looks great with that hat on top of it!

All this reminds my of the "stitch counters" involved in reenacting; nothing is ever good enough or perfect, there is always some stitch to be found that ruins the authenticity of the look. Geesh! Some people!

Torpedo, take it from me, when you go out into the world no one is going to give notice to you and your hat and give a critical analysis. Most people will ignore it; some will say "great hat!". The rare few will say, "What the......"! Just yesterday I was told my hat was "crazy", then quickly amended to "crazy cool!" I agreed either way - it's my hat!

Next time you have questions about whether a hat "looks right" take a gander at any full length photo of Howard Hughes in his fedora. Tall, skinny, gaunt and drawn, his hats dominate the picture ....and they look great! Be assured that Mr. Hughes never asked, "Hey!..does this hat look ok on me?!"

hrh1.jpg

"Hey guys, before going flying, does this hat look ok on me? Come on, really!?
I have pictures of my other hats in this envelope, will you look at them? Be honest now!"

Wear your hat with pride and confidence anyway you darn well want to. Be assured it will look great on you - simply because you are you! :eusa_clap

Now, do I have the final word on this issue? lol

-dixon cannon

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Dixon Cannon said:
IMHO, as it were, so to speak. There is way too much concern over this hat. Folks, it's a hat! It looks great! Torpedo has a face - and a head. It's his face and head. It looks great with that hat on top of it!

[snip]

Now, do I have the final word on this issue? lol

-dixon cannon

Well, if Torpedo hadn't asked, I don't think any of us would have said anything. But he asked for honest opinions and as friends-helping-friends we gave that to him. I find that I'm more likely to wear my hat with confidence when I think it looks good on me, and the opinions of other knowledgable folk help. That's why I'm here on the Lounge. Of course, this is just IMHO. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing the new bash.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi Dixon,

Although I understand your meaning, I think we are talking different things here.

I do not feel like I am not confident wearing hats - I wear hats regularly, and in many shapes and sizes - and I have found I like best those along the lines of the hat under discussion, that is, larger, untapered crowns (about 5 1/2'' open) and wideish brims (around 2 1/2''). In my own time, I experienced the sensation about adapting from wearing modernly proportioned hats (generally shorter, tapered and with narrower brims) to wearing Golden era-styled larger proportioned hats, and yes, at the beginning I felt odd, but soon those larger hats grew on me, and became my favourites, and I tend to wear these in preference to stingies and the like, although I do wear them on occassion.

But I thought this one hat was a little off; I have been wearing it often for a couple of months, and I was not really satisfied with the overall effect, so the growing-on-you phase was complied with, too.

Hence my question - which in part was prompted by the recent thread, started by Duggap, about sincere assessment. And I specifically asked for opinions and suggestions. I could pay attention to these, or not, but I was ready to listen.

I listened, then I experimented a little with the hat, and I would say I got a better result, at least better to my eyes - so, if I like it better now, I think it is a step forward. Now I will wear it and see if I am comfortable.

Some people said they liked the hat as it was, no doubt sincerely, and so do you, which is fine, too.

Thanks, and regards!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
As long as you don't look like this, you're fine.

On the other hand, the look seems to attract the ladies.

stetsonmascotn.jpg

thecoolmiester

New in Town
Lefty said:
As long as you don't look like this, you're fine.

On the other hand, the look seems to attract the ladies.

stetsonmascotn.jpg

:eek: DAMN, would you look at that chick.
That hat guy sure doesn't have it rough. lol

Torpedo

One Too Many
Lefty, those were GREAT! :eusa_clap

Well, as promised, hera you have some photos showing the retouched crease.
As explained, I just deepened the crease a little and lowered the fore-and-aft "vees" a small bt - certainly less than a little inger's width; but I believe this has made a difference for the better, while, at the same time, the original style is conserved. I would say I sort of "scaled down" the crown to adjust it to my features.

To my eyes at least, it is improved now. :) I understand the hat as it came could sit well on other people's heads, but it did not work on mine, I felt.

I will be happy to hear opinions, both from those who proposed the change and from those who liked the hat as it was.

DSC_0350.jpg

DSC_0343.jpg

DSC_0346.jpg

DSC_0348.jpg

Regards!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Agreed. I like a big hat.

On that note...
S04007.jpg

knox1880s1.jpg

hatcard2.jpg

schaefer1923.jpg

Of course, any hat can be worn with confidence if you're the bathing suit inspector.
bathingsuitpolice1922.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland