Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this Japanese jacket based on an actual vintage design?

hughesovka

One of the Regulars
I believe its a collaboration between two Japanese companies, Toyo and Style Eyes. Its almost like an all leather grizzly turned into a half belt, but it actually has side laces, which you can't really see.

158772270648095_8e9ca741-9672-4248-a4e8-f0ef669932a7.jpg

A vintage inspired piece of pure imagination I suspect. I can’t imagine a worse use of a grizzly jacket than on a motorcycle. I like laces like that on a CHP. Thats where those laces were born and thats where they belong. On a grizzly there should be engraved buckles IMO.

Jasonissm

Practically Family
Style Eyes is a brand underneath the Toyo Enterprise umbrella rather than a collaboration between them. Like how Sugar Cane, Kosho and Co. and Buzz Rickson are all Toyo brands. Probably made in the same factory, but Toyo also has their lower quality leathers under Indian Motorcycle brand that they got the rights for.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
maybe the lacing is inspired by old timey sports perhaps when there is still lacing on leather cased inflatable bladder they use as ball.

Edward

Bartender
LOL. Looks cool parked, still a horrible riding jacket.

It wouldn't surprise me to see it back in those days when folks still rode competitively in wool sweaters; over here, Irvins and Irvin type jackets were commonly worn on motorcycles right up into the Sixties. These days with much more MC PPE available, it wouldn't be my first choice. That said, with the quality of slim underarmour available these days, I wouldn't rule it out. The bigger issue would be that it's probably not the most pleasant thing to wear riding in driving rain...

It wouldn't surprise me to see it back in those days when folks still rode competitively in wool sweaters; over here, Irvins and Irvin type jackets were commonly worn on motorcycles right up into the Sixties. These days with much more MC PPE available, it wouldn't be my first choice. That said, with the quality of slim underarmour available these days, I wouldn't rule it out. The bigger issue would be that it's probably not the most pleasant thing to wear riding in driving rain...
Picking bugs and dirt out of mouton probably no picnic either!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Not to derail the thread but the Grizzly jacket photo Marc posted above has the wing (unibody) collar which is really cool. Had I seen that pic I would've asked for that on my Aero Grizzlies. Same collar construction as their Speedway. Very pre-war and cooler looking than the regular set in type collar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy