Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this what we, as a society have come to?

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Frankly, I'm surprised there hasn't been a voice of dissent; some devil's advocate who states people should be able to do whatever they please in whatever fashion, and just let it all hang out. Isn't there some kind of modern voice that wants to step forward and call us onto the carpet for acting like a bunch of stodgy old hillbillies?

Edward

Bartender
And please correct me if I'm wrong (can't get the video to play at work) but are there only satin accents on his lapel? Please forgive this comment coming from a gentleman that owns a modern notch-lapel evening jacket, but good lord...

They appear to be. They should not be there on daywear, but on balance it is a much lesser sin than what seems, looking in from this distance, to be fast becoming the norm in the US: black tie as default formal wear at any hour of the day. Ghastly.

Sorry to confuse, I was just talkin' out my butt on my earlier comment about updating the Facebook status. :)

Aha!

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if what you said turned out to be true - It seems the most likely option to me!

I agree. She very definitely reaches for her phone at a specific moment - there is nothing there that suggests to me this is someone who forgot to switch off her phone and is answering an unexpected communication. It's the sort of thing you hear of happening once, then lots of people think they'll be really funny / quirky / cool / all of the above by doing this. A guest at one wedding I went to slipped out of the service as soon as it was over, and rushed to a one-hour development place in order to be the first to present the bride and groom with a photo-album of their wedding. Soe folks sit in a bath of beans for charity, others twitter or facebook their weddings. [huh]

If you watch closely, that is where she gets her cellphone from and puts it back too.

I'm not sure I know a woman who doesn't store things in her bra at some point. A dear fried of mine who has crashed at my flat many times used to keep everything in her bra. I got to the point where I knew if she was getting undressed in the other room because of the noise of a large collection of stuff (mobile phone, coins, compact, lipstick.....) hitting the floor, presumably at the moment she removed said undergarment.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Frankly, I'm surprised there hasn't been a voice of dissent; some devil's advocate who states people should be able to do whatever they please in whatever fashion, and just let it all hang out. Isn't there some kind of modern voice that wants to step forward and call us onto the carpet for acting like a bunch of stodgy old hillbillies?
:nono:Undertow, Undertow, Undertow, frankly I'm surprised that you complain about people trolling in other threads yet you are doing exactly that here. ;)

Pompidou

One Too Many

There are people she has to answer to if texting during her wedding was a problem - primarily her husband, to a lesser extent her family, and to an even lesser extent, the guests and hired staff. She doesn't have to answer to the general public. My view is that if the marrying couple is okay with the behavior, it really is their day, and that makes it okay. It's not my wedding. So, I suppose I do espouse the view that people should be able to do largely whatever they please, with the caveat that in situations like this, both partners need to leave the wedding happy. She doesn't need society's approval, and never asked for it. Hopefully she has her husband's approval, because ruining his wedding would be uncalled for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred