Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this what we, as a society have come to?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Not much different from this:

"I am happy now that George calls on my bedchamber less frequently than of old. As it is, I now endure but two calls a week, and when I hear his steps outside my door I lie down on my bed, close my eyes, open my legs, and think of England."

-- Diary of Lady Alice Hillingdon, 1912

HAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!

What the hell!?

Wow...

Granted, that's not the first video I've seen of people texting/updating statuses during weddings. Sometimes they do it as part of the ceremony as a joke. Here's one:

[video=youtube;VSkT5XykJzo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSkT5XykJzo[/video]

In 20 years, can you imagine what weddings will be like?

"Ladies and gentlemen. We are gathered today, via this Skype video conference-call, to witness the joining of Michael and Susan who have, in the eyes of God and of Online Social Networking Sites, agreed to join together in holy matrimony. Let us have a minute's silence for the Sacred Updating of Statuses....Thank you. We will now witness the holy exchanging of iPhones and the emailing of vows with their attachments of RING.gifs. You may now text the bride!"

Last edited:

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
There are people she has to answer to if texting during her wedding was a problem - primarily her husband, to a lesser extent her family, and to an even lesser extent, the guests and hired staff. She doesn't have to answer to the general public. My view is that if the marrying couple is okay with the behavior, it really is their day, and that makes it okay. It's not my wedding. So, I suppose I do espouse the view that people should be able to do largely whatever they please, with the caveat that in situations like this, both partners need to leave the wedding happy. She doesn't need society's approval, and never asked for it. Hopefully she has her husband's approval, because ruining his wedding would be uncalled for.

Many view weddings not just as events for the bride and groom, but as ceremonies that welcome a family into a faith and sometimes are even are seen as creating a sacred contract with a higher being.

The environment itself- be it a temple, church, chapel, etc.- is often itself considered hallowed ground where the person is in touch with a religious being. Because of that relationship, many behaviors that are considered "ok" by general society are not considered "ok" in that place of worship. By being married in a faith or within a place of worship, you have agreed to honor that faith's traditions during the ceremony. One should find another place and faith to be married under if they cannot abide by the standards of that faith for the ceremony itself.

Similarly, if a courthouse prohibits cell phones, then cell phone use by the bride or groom isn't acceptable by the standards of that ceremony. Again, find another place to get married.

Pompidou

One Too Many
Many view weddings not just as events for the bride and groom, but as ceremonies that welcome a family into a faith and sometimes are even are seen as creating a sacred contract with a higher being.

The environment itself- be it a temple, church, chapel, etc.- is often itself considered hallowed ground where the person is in touch with a religious being. Because of that relationship, many behaviors that are considered "ok" by general society are not considered "ok" in that place of worship. By being married in a faith or within a place of worship, you have agreed to honor that faith's traditions during the ceremony. One should find another place and faith to be married under if they cannot abide by the standards of that faith for the ceremony itself.

Similarly, if a courthouse prohibits cell phones, then cell phone use by the bride or groom isn't acceptable by the standards of that ceremony. Again, find another place to get married.

I'm not advocating breaking stated rules, IE: ignoring the "No cell phones" sign in a courthouse. In this case, as far as I can tell, the ceremony is in a park of some sort. It's true that many people believe marriage is all the stuff you talked about, but it's also true that not as many people believe that as used to. If these people don't, well, it's their afterlives. Most places that disallow cell phones declare so openly, like courthouses, movie theaters, hospitals, and top secret military installations. Once churches do too, then the whole nature of the argument changes, and I'd side with you. Following house rules is important. Doing things just because everybody else does isn't. It's the flip-side of the coin for the old phrase, "If everyone else jumped off a cliff, would you?". The solution to this problem is as simple as a sign saying, "No cell phones allowed." Walmart carries them.

Pompidou

One Too Many
Whatever floats your boat, I guess. I sure as heck wouldn't consider this acceptable, personally.

Pretty much my thoughts as well. The world is chock full of people doing things I wouldn't do. There's not enough time in the day to condemn them all. It's easier to just live and let live, shrug, say whatever, and go about my business.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
There's not enough time in the day to condemn them all. It's easier to just live and let live, shrug, say whatever, and go about my business.
Actually, this woman bothers me not one iota. Now if she were texting while driving (which I'm sure she does) I would have choice words for her.

Pompidou

One Too Many
Actually, this woman bothers me not one iota. Now if she were texting while driving (which I'm sure she does) I would have choice words for her.

I agree with you there. The right to do your own thing stops somewhere before killing others. I can't even walk and text - and I've tried. Driving and texting is incomprehensible to me. I'd be off the road before I hit send.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Modern weddings are full of tacky things. Just add one more to the list.
Kim Kardasian comes to mind....
edit: I wasn't actually aware that she got married until I saw the news reports today that she has applied for a divorce, 72 days after she was married (and made over 10 million dollars because of her nuptials). Now that's tacky.

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
edit: I wasn't actually aware that she got married until I saw the news reports today that she has applied for a divorce, 72 days after she was married (and made over 10 million dollars because of her nuptials). Now that's tacky.

That actually won me a $20.00 bet! I made a bet with my Wife that "Karsmashiem" would not stay married for even a year to the basketball star husband, and I was right. Cha Ching, pay up!

Edward

Bartender

I saw this in the news today. I also hear the family name mentioned, but I still don't quite get who they are? Why are these Kardashians famous?

Please note, I'm not being rhetorical here - I genuinely have no idea who they are. Were they on X Factor or something similar?

Feraud

Bartender
The Kardashians are famous because the daughter Kim had tons of plastic surgery and released a sex tape. The public cannot get enough of family's "fashionable" lifestyle.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Upon that was built retail fashion boutiques coinciding with their TV 'reality' show following their exploits. Kim's father, Robert Kardashian, was once of the defending attorneys in the OJ Simpson case many years ago. Later on, his wife divorced him and married Olympic hero Bruce Jenner (about 20 years ago - excuse me if my chronology is off. I only know what I have read or been told). The whole thing is complete trash. But it makes them millions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925