Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ISO Insert to reduce hat size

tortswon

Practically Family
I purchased a hat as a gift for a friend. it is slightly too large. Does anyone have, or know how I can find or fabricate, an insert to put along the sweatband that can reduce the size. Thanks, Sam

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Almost anything can be made to work. I'm using portions of paper towel folded over several times in my new Stylemasters.

Magus

Practically Family
I hve the PERFECT item. At a craft shop (Michaels or the like) look for a "bead pad" it is a thin open celled foam pad that folks who make bead jewelry place their bead on to keep them from rolling off onto the floor. With a piece of paper make a pattern with a gently curved bottom edge to fit behind your sweatband. Once you have the shape cut the floam and slip it in place.

M

RJCNTX

Familiar Face
I use Drywall tape/paper. It comes with a fold line already in place. I cut off the length of section I want and fold in half. Fits perfectly behind the band.

Wal-mart sales felt squares for 34 cents in their craft dept. You can cut strips length wise or fold over for double thickness. I get the white ones since I don't want any dyes to bleed thru if the hat gets wet. You can probably find them at Michael's or other craft type stores.

ValEag

One of the Regulars
Weather stripping

I've had great results using 3/4" wide by 1/8" thick foam weather stripping - the sort you would put around a door or window to keep the drafts out. You can buy it in a roll, then just cut off the length you need. Play around with the location until the fit is just right. I leave the backing on, rather than trying to stick in in place with the adhesive backing and put the foam side toward your head. Once it is inside the sweatband it won't come out, and if the hat shrinks a little and you need to remove it, it is easy to take out.

WEEGEE

Practically Family
Cork and felt

Craft stores sell 12 inch rolls of cork and often 12 inch squares of felt... Elmer's glue the two together...place under some phone books till dry and cut into 3/4 inch to and inch strips!!! cheap

tortswon

Practically Family
Thanks for the Tips

What a great group! Thanks so much for all your helpful and inventive suggestions. All of your help is greatly appreciated. My friend and I tip our hats to you. Best, Sam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner