Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ISO: The Flat Head Double Rider Jacket Size 42

zjm1992

New in Town
Hey all, new member here, hailing from NYC :)

I'm in search of a size 42, The Flat Head double rider's horsehide jacket (FN-LJ-HW001). Also open to consider the Self Edge version 'Delraiser', but in truth I think I'd like to have the epaulettes. Lmk if anyone is willing to depart with theirs!

Also a couple of questions for owners of this jacket(s):

- I'm 5'11" 180-185lbs, 40" chest and 32" waist, with a reasonably athletic build. Would size 42 be somewhat of a good fit on me? I'm looking to layer a hoodie underneath but also open to rocking a tshirt. I'm a size 40 for a slim suit, 40-42 in most Schott jackets.

- does anyone have an example of a well-worn and well-loved example of a tea core jacket? Doesn't have to be this flat head specifically, but I've searched all over the web and somehow can't find an example with the tea core showing through.

Thank you in advance!

soundwavvves

Familiar Face
Welcome to TFL!

I’m a big fan of The Flat Head’s cross zips myself and it sounds like the 42 should fit you well on the current model if you’re going for a closer fit.

I know some prefer more ease in the chest, but for me around 2-2.5” is ideal because I can comfortably layer a hoodie or sweater underneath without it looking oversized on just a t-shirt.

Whatever you do, be sure to get the actual measurements of the individual jacket you intend to buy, as they tend to vary a bit from the published specs.

My theory on the lack of heavy patina pics is that a lot of these jackets tend to be babied due to the price tag and therefore age very slowly, aside from the usual cuff edge, zipper edge etc. At any rate, it will take a considerable amount of hard wear to produce the kind of results you would notice from a distance.

Here are a few photos for reference, though.

Attachments

• IMG_6881.jpeg
    IMG_6881.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_5037.png
    IMG_5037.png
    823.9 KB · Views: 123
  • 370739EF-B44D-4030-8087-4B21F6B4D694-2298-0000017C16AB6D74.jpeg
    370739EF-B44D-4030-8087-4B21F6B4D694-2298-0000017C16AB6D74.jpeg
    459.4 KB · Views: 121

mattmostlydragons

New in Town
Hey there, (im also new around here). You might want to keep an eye on Japanese Mercari and buyee.jp I just picked up a lightly used FN-LJ-HW001 from an auction for pretty cheap. Hasn't shipped yet and the language barrier is a little intimidating, but they seem to come up for sale a little more frequently in Japan.

zjm1992

New in Town
Welcome to TFL!

I’m a big fan of The Flat Head’s cross zips myself and it sounds like the 42 should fit you well on the current model if you’re going for a closer fit.

I know some prefer more ease in the chest, but for me around 2-2.5” is ideal because I can comfortably layer a hoodie or sweater underneath without it looking oversized on just a t-shirt.

Whatever you do, be sure to get the actual measurements of the individual jacket you intend to buy, as they tend to vary a bit from the published specs.

My theory on the lack of heavy patina pics is that a lot of these jackets tend to be babied due to the price tag and therefore age very slowly, aside from the usual cuff edge, zipper edge etc. At any rate, it will take a considerable amount of hard wear to produce the kind of results you would notice from a distance.

Here are a few photos for reference, though.
Hey man, thanks and great tips :) I think your theory regarding patina makes sense, honestly the pics you posted are the best examples I've seen so far. I went to Franklin and Poe in Philly on a spontaneous field trip to try the double rider in 42, it fit super well with room to layer a hoodie underneath, good movement, and the leather felt... sensational.

Although one thing I can't believe I missed from all the pictures of the jacket I've drooled over is - there's no handwarmer pocket on the left, which makes sense given it would break the jacket's clean look with the D pocket on the left already, but I guess that's something I need to come to terms with :D

zjm1992

New in Town

zjm1992

New in Town
Hey there, (im also new around here). You might want to keep an eye on Japanese Mercari and buyee.jp I just picked up a lightly used FN-LJ-HW001 from an auction for pretty cheap. Hasn't shipped yet and the language barrier is a little intimidating, but they seem to come up for sale a little more frequently in Japan.
Oh nice, awesome tips, I appreciate it! I've never heard of these 2 sites and I'll look there. Do you mind sharing how much you ended up paying, just so I have an expectation of the ballpark range? And please share some pics when it arrives!

mattmostlydragons

New in Town
So buyee.jp is a proxy service where you can buy things on different auction websites. You pay through buyee, and they pay the seller and receive the package at their warehouse- from there you need to pay for the international shipping to where you live.

I started hunting for RMC j-24s on these websites because they're listed around $700-1000, but settled on the flat head after handling one at franklin and poe during the denim hang. The leather is actually nicer than RMC and I'll stand by that. The auction ended up closing at $800, followed by a $45 dollar tax, and then $60 shipping from buyee. So all-in just over $900.

I won the auction Sunday morning and the package landed on my porch in west philly today, Friday afternoon. Pretty shocking, I expected it to take weeks. Unfortunately I'm in Europe for another week and a half so can't post any pics lol. Unless the jacket is catastrophic (unlikely), I'm pretty happy with my first venture on the Japanese auction sites.

Mr. Hide

Familiar Face
Hey there neighbor!

Also hailing from NYC and thought I'd give my 2 cents regarding my Delraiser in 42. I'm 5'8", around 175 lbs., with a shapely dad-bod lol. The 42 fits me impeccably compared to a lot of others I've tried including the RMC J-24. I'm not aware of any difference in pattern between the Double Rider and the Delraiser but from your measurements my first instinct was to say a 44 Delraiser for you. Pretty interesting to hear that the 42 DR you tried at F&P fit the way you wanted. Were you able to get your hands on a 44 at Self Edge?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner