Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ISOROKU - The truth about the Pacific War on the 70th anniversary

Story

I'll Lock Up
[video=youtube;vWT2ydFM8us]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWT2ydFM8us[/video]

“Isoroku,” a Japanese film about the life of Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, who orchestrated the Pearl Harbor attack and was commander-in-chief in the early years of what many Japanese call the Pacific War, will start showing in Japan on Dec 23.

The movie, subtitled “The truth about the Pacific War on the 70th anniversary” and starring Koji Yakusho in the title role, claims Yamamoto was opposed to war with the U.S. and attacked Pearl Harbor to end the Pacific War as quickly as possible.

The film, made on a budget of 1 billion yen, follows the life of Yamamoto, from his early days at Harvard University to his growth into a leader, and to his death in the Solomon Islands in 1943.

A spokesman for production company Toei said the film portrays Yamamoto as a man torn between war and Japan’s future. The spokesman said the film shows Yamamoto as an individual who had a global perspective, looked forward decisively and displayed real leadership.

http://www.japantoday.com/category/...e-shows-wartime-admiral-yamamoto-in-new-light

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Well, it's well known that Yamamoto said,after Pearl Harbor, "I fear we have awakened a sleeping giant, and filled him with a terrible resolve."

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

According to Yamamoto's biographies from the 1950's, 1960's, and 1970's, Yamamoto didn't want war with the US. Pearl Harbor was an attempt to get a mental and material edge over the US so that the Japanese could "win" a negotiated peace. Didn't work so well. I remember another quote that went something on the order of "I can run wild for 6 months to a year, then..."

Later

4spurs

One of the Regulars
"Win a negotiated peace"? Since there was no war until Pearl Harbor was bombed there was already peace w/ the U.S. wasn't there?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"Win a negotiated peace"? Since there was no war until Pearl Harbor was bombed there was already peace w/ the U.S. wasn't there?

Yes and no, we had an embargo on the Japanese since they had invaded China., so we weren't fighting them, but we were keeping them from getting our steel and other raw materials. They were also fighting the Chinese. They wanted all of the Malaysian oil. They were hoping that after they bombed Pearl, invaded the Philippines, Australia, Singapore, and most of the Pacific, we'd just decide that it wasn't worth our trouble.

Later

Effingham

A-List Customer

Not really, no. Although the US was supposedly at peace with Japan and a neutral party, we were arming the hell out of China -- remember the Flying Tigers, for example? Technically, that would have made us belligerents. Also, there was the Hull Note, which was a virtual declaration of war against Japan. As far as they were concerned, we WERE hostile to them already.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
USS Panay

The Flying Tigers did not see there first combat untile after December 7th, December 20th to be exact, so we were not fighting them. The Japanese did sink the USS Panay on the Yangtze river December 12, 1937, killing 3 and wounding 45 American sailors! We were hardily the aggressors. [video=youtube;WujTPNkjSeM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WujTPNkjSeM[/video]

Otter

One Too Many
Kind of surprises me they are making a film about this in Japan. As far as I am aware this is an area of history that is glossed over in the education of Japanese youngsters. Ask most younger and post school age kids and they will probably react with surprise that Japan was ever at war with the US. Not good for your film's demographic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner