Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"It" - For the Gals.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
jitterbugdoll said:
At the end of her career, Hollywood had pretty much stolen all that the little girl had to offer. Don’t forget, every starlet in Hollywood was packaged and marketed as the studio saw fit :):

I think that's the saddest part of her story, really -- that she didn't live long enough to break free of the packaging and image-managing to become something more than she'd been allowed to be. Had she lived thru the sixties, it would have been interesting to see where she ended up -- a productive career as a character actress, perhaps?

Feraud

Bartender
LizzieMaine said:
Had she lived thru the sixties, it would have been interesting to see where she ended up -- a productive career as a character actress, perhaps?
Or perhaps not the eternal sexy icon she has become? [huh]

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Can "it" be inherited?

JohnBarrymore.jpg

barrymore_e.jpg

lionelbarrymoreportrait.jpg

l_1741854.jpg

*Eight google images pages to find one with clothes on.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
LizzieMaine said:
Had she lived thru the sixties, it would have been interesting to see where she ended up -- a productive career as a character actress, perhaps?

Or always plugged in as the blowsy, no-longer-wanted dame, ala Shelly Winters?

As it is, she is forever young, forever sexy. Like James Dean, JFK.

Marilyn wannabe who did not have "it" or any variation of "it," nor talent nor looks: Jayne Mansfield.
Just ew.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Feraud said:
Or perhaps not the eternal sexy icon she has become? [huh]

Well, that's the thing -- if she'd tried to hang onto that persona as she aged, I get the feeling that she would have ended up a talk-show self parody like Shelley Winters, or a whatever-became-of obscurity like Mamie Van Doren. I think what makes her the eternal icon that she is is the tragedy of her story -- her life cut short, unfulfilled potential, and all that. If she'd lived out a normal lifespan -- if she was alive today -- I suspect her image would be quite different, whatever course she took.

Feraud

Bartender
jitterbugdoll said:
Beauty, or 'it', if you will, is in the eyes of the beholder...
Oh absolutely!! There are very little "correct" answers. This discussion is opinion supported by subjective facts. A fun exercise. :)

decodoll

Practically Family
Naama said:
..., but I don't understand why Audry became so famouse... I don't like "breakfast at tiffany", I don't think she's a good actress and I don't think that she's all that pretty or that she looks interesting in any way.... But that's just my opinion [huh]

I completely disagree with this. In addition to being a wonderful actress, Audrey Hepburn had more class, style and charm in her little pinky finger than most people have in their whole body. From everything I've ever read about her, excepting an apparently grumpy Bogart on the set of Sabrina, she was a genuinely lovely person...on the inside as well as the outside. Now that is it.

audrey.jpg

decodoll said:
I completely disagree with this. In addition to being a wonderful actress, Audrey Hepburn had more class, style and charm in her little pinky finger than most people have in their whole body. From everything I've ever read about her, excepting an apparently grumpy Bogart on the set of Sabrina, she was a genuinely lovely person...on the inside as well as the outside. Now that is it.

audrey.jpg

I think Audrey is an aquired taste. I didn't have much interest in her when I was younger, but I adore her now. I have to agree with your comments on her Decodoll, 100%. Sabrina is my favorite film of hers.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I think Audrey and Lucy both have "it". Audrey was definately not a sex symbol... but Lucy was in her earlier career from what I've been told. Some of the movies of her's from the 40's make her quite a siren and she looks fabulous in the clothing.
belly182.jpg

PBDAUHE_EC073_T.JPG

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
LizzieMaine said:
Well, that's the thing -- if she'd tried to hang onto that persona as she aged, I get the feeling that she would have ended up a talk-show self parody like Shelley Winters, or a whatever-became-of obscurity like Mamie Van Doren. I think what makes her the eternal icon that she is is the tragedy of her story -- her life cut short, unfulfilled potential, and all that. If she'd lived out a normal lifespan -- if she was alive today -- I suspect her image would be quite different, whatever course she took.

Oh dear, Mamie van Doren... has anyone seen her lately? I am certain that if Marilyn were still around, she would NOT look like the monstrosity that Mamie van Doren has become. She's tried to hang onto that blonde bomshell persona - through tons of makeup, clothing worthy of a streetwalker, and multiple surgeries - and it is just atrocious. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, google her.)

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
It or no it

I think to single Marilyn out as pre-packaged or the result of a corporate boardroom brainstorm meeting is a little unfair as all great movie stars have had to dream themselves up or have some one do it for them to a certain extent. It's all part of the fantasy and escape that cinema creates.

I would stand to her defence on several points raised here,
Firstly if you look at her early photo sessions with Andre de Diennes she has next to no make up on some of the beach shots and looks like an angel. She wore no more make up than Liz Taylor or Audrey Hepburn ( I love both of these ladies don't get me wrong but they both fall foul of the EXTRA heavy eye brow make up of the 50's)

Secondly she fought long and hard to get away from the dumb blonde that she was traditionally cast as, and was known to have thoroughly resented some the castings fox gave her under contract. Her death was just at a time when she was really starting to pull the punches, and make decisions for herself.

I can't see how you can be any less "it"!!!!
To me she was just built like no-one else, and there has been no-one built like her since. Not even close.

I think 'trollop" could be applied to a great many leading ladies if we did our research thoroughly.............don't you agree?????;) ;)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
AllaboutEve said:
I think 'trollop" could be applied to a great many leading ladies if we did our research thoroughly.............don't you agree?????;) ;)

I totally agree. I think I'm better not knowing about their private lives :D

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
AllaboutEve said:
I think to single Marilyn out as pre-packaged or the result of a corporate boardroom brainstorm meeting is a little unfair as all great movie stars have had to dream themselves up or have some one do it for them to a certain extent. It's all part of the fantasy and escape that cinema creates.

I would stand to her defence on several points raised here,
Firstly if you look at her early photo sessions with Andre de Diennes she has next to no make up on some of the beach shots and looks like an angel. She wore no more make up than Liz Taylor or Audrey Hepburn ( I love both of these ladies don't get me wrong but they both fall foul of the EXTRA heavy eye brow make up of the 50's)

Secondly she fought long and hard to get away from the dumb blonde that she was traditionally cast as, and was known to have thoroughly resented some the castings fox gave her under contract. Her death was just at a time when she was really starting to pull the punches, and make decisions for herself.

I can't see how you can be any less "it"!!!!
To me she was just built like no-one else, and there has been no-one built like her since. Not even close.

Eh, I didn't see her fighting hard to play the librabrian type. ;) Perhaps some of the It ladies were trollops behind the scenes, but it wasn't their selling point, or something they exploted for money. And I agree she played an active role in her roles, contracts or not. So in a sense I see her a victim, but a very little sense. I agree with Feraud when he said "She could have chosen or created a role of an intelligent sexy gal instead of that sad caricature she created."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy