Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IT'S HERE!!!

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Sharpe said:
Nice Jacket. Though looks a touch too big at the top and too short overall - but perhaps that's just the style?

Man, I love everything about "nice [item], but..." posts, apart from the fact that they detract from the FL atmosphere and contribute little or nothing to the reader's general knowledge.

Just my view from over here, of course.

bobjones

A-List Customer
Creeping Past said:
Man, I love everything about "nice [item], but..." posts, apart from the fact that they detract from the FL atmosphere and contribute little or nothing to the reader's general knowledge.

Just my view from over here, of course.

Hmmm....a few thoughts on this point:

We should not discourage new posters from speaking openly and freely in giving their opinion. I would not want TFL to become a clique/club where only "certain" types of opinions can be made.

Second, isn't the point of the forum the opportunity for (mostly) anonymous people to acquire knowledge - and both positive and negative criticism and opinions on jackets they own/plan to buy?

I think we would doing people a disservice if the forum were to be conducted in a cheeky/happy face style where only positive, breathless comments could be given.

I for one, desperately want to be criticized - even if it is harshly negative - for a poorly fitting jacket, for instance since I trust the people here more than I do the not-so-knowledge friends and family I have, most of whom couldn't tell the difference between an Aero Barnstormer and a pea coat.

I recall over at obi-wan they had the same type of debate, and even though some people's feelings might get a bit insulted if they disagree with someone else's opinions on fit, styling, etc., I personally believe that it is worth the trade-off to acquire good, (mostly) unbiased advice on how something fits/looks, etc.

GHQ1

One of the Regulars
That's a "nice jacket but"

Creeping Past said:
That's a fantastic jacket. Cordings shop in Piccadilly, London, has a very similar pattern linen jacket in stock at the moment. Obviously, nowhere near as bright as that beautifully woven wool fabric, but in the spirit.
from The Fedora Lounge > General Attire & Accouterments What are you wearing today??

Quid pro quo

and LIBBY . . .that's a helluva nice jacket . . .but I want one too!!

Creeping Past

One Too Many
GHQ1, comparing the tone and brightness of one fabric against another is not the same thing as saying "Nice jacket, but..." I really like both the fabrics I was referring to, but... linen, beautiful as it is in its own right, doesn't have the same depth and lustre as wool tweed.

Having said all that, on reflection, my recent post in this thread seems a little grumpy, so please feel free to ignore it.

libby

New in Town
Hi Windward,
I haven't forgotten your request. Im having trouble uploading the pdf format drawing i promised you. Does any one have any advice on how to attach a pdf to my message? Cheers.:)

tudo

New in Town
Libby ,that is a such cool looking jacket you've got there and looks a perfect fit.I'm would love one myself but don't think I've got the correct physique. Congratulations!

Cooperson

One Too Many
libby said:
Hi Windward,
I haven't forgotten your request. Im having trouble uploading the pdf format drawing i promised you. Does any one have any advice on how to attach a pdf to my message? Cheers.:)

Hi libby - not sure about attaching pdf files but I suppose you could always take a photo of the drawing an post that. Just a thought.

Windward

Practically Family
pdf

libby said:
Hi Windward,

Hi Libby, I think you have to convert the pdf into jpeg. This could be the way to go.
WW

libby

New in Town
:) Hi Windward,
I Have every I.T boffin and nurd in the office at the moment trying to attach my drawing to this thread but we are not having much luck. The drawing was prepared in AutoCad originally, then i converted it to a pdf but still couldn't attach so converted the pdf to a jpeg and i still can't upload the image. If all else fails friend i could email it to you personally? Is there any one out there that could shed some light on this usually very simple procedure?

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
If it's a .jpg, all you have to do is upload it to a server, either your own personal ISP (they all provide storage space) or a commercial site like Photo Bucket. Then you need the actual URL of the image.
When you make your post here, just use the "Insert Image" icon at the top of the msg field, paste the URL in, and Submit.
That should do it.
Lenny

AEH

One of the Regulars
Lining?

Great looking, well fitting, Libby. I am about to order a Highwayman myself, I got my first Aero a couple of months ago (50's halfbelt), and I believe that I may have become addicted :)

Can I ask what kind of lining you chose for your jacket?

libby

New in Town
Hi AEH,
The lining of my highwayman is Black Cotton Drill. The jacket itself is a real good peice of kit. Outstanding quality!!:)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay