Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"It's Indiana Depp! Johnny... in brown fedora and leather jacket."

Richard Warren

Practically Family
Two actors, one dressed by a studio wardrobe department to look like a hyper-masculine hero, the other apparently dressed by himself to look like.....a what?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
This is an illustration of the sartorial malady which plagues our culture today. You have a well turned out woman with a man who has not met her level of dress. This is seen all over the world; it's pandemic.

article-0-0C001E8E00000578-401_468x750.jpg

And it's not like Johnny don't know the drill.............

article-1270274-03CAEC980000044D-119_468x552.jpg

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Depp's got a lot more style than IJ.

Personally I quite like IJ's style (even if he's just a fictional character). Aside from his 'adventure gear' I quite like the suits the character wears at other times. His brown three piece in Raiders of the Lost Ark even has a belted back.

However Depp does have more style but that's only natural for an actor promoting a film.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Unconventional, but better than jeans and a t-shirt.
:arated:plus better than a modern boring 2 piece business suit with über long blue tie.

I like it even better than the open collar zoot suit (?). it's plain black and the arms are too long. black and red. metalheads who went suit love this combination. I avoid it

this are far better:

jdepp.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
This is an illustration of the sartorial malady which plagues our culture today. You have a well turned out woman with a man who has not met her level of dress. This is seen all over the world; it's pandemic.

If I was to change anything, maybe a blazer or 3/4 length leather car coat, in a complementary shade of brown

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Sorry for the stereotype, but I think Johnny Depp here comes off as pretty steampunk/dieselpunk looking, more like that anyway than Indiana Jones. The pinstripe vest, trousers, and scarf have a lot to do with my perception...

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I agree, TG. Sort of a 'steampunk IJ with a biker jacket,' if thats even possible. Its been said here already, but I have to say it again. Anytime anyone 'not in the know' sees a fedora with just about any leather or sometimes non-leather jacket, they think Indiana Jones, if they dont say it.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
this are far better:

jdepp.jpg

It is indeed better, though the overly long arms and the bad trouser break in the left photo suggest that it may be a rented suit. In fact a lot of the time when Depp wears a proper suit or dinner jacket off screen the fit is so awful that one can only assume he dislikes dressing up so much that he does not own any formal clothing and rents it. Don't get me wrong, I like Depp as an actor and as a person and I like his style but he is a complete failure at dressing formally.

scottyrocks said:
Its been said here already, but I have to say it again. Anytime anyone 'not in the know' sees a fedora with just about any leather or sometimes non-leather jacket, they think Indiana Jones, if they dont say it.
What I found bad was that the Daily Mail didn't even call it "reminiscient of Indiana Jones" but a "spitting image of Indiana Jones". Now whilst Depp's outfit may remind the stylistically uneducated of IJ, anyone should be able to spot the differences. But then the Daily Mail has always been a tabloid newspaper and likes to make sweeping generalisations which are often far from accurate (in fact it's account of the Russian Revolution in 1917 is little more than sensationalist rubbish).

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

I don't particularly care for Johnny Depp as an actor (I don't hate him, he just makes no impression) I like his taste in hats a great deal, but I really, really hate the look of this outfit - especially the silly biker jacket.

Edward

Bartender
I just did a quick image search and didn't see anything horrendous.[huh]

Check out the Ally MacBeal era where he's clearly trying to dressed like someone thirty years younger.... and sports an earring. Mutton, lamb...

What I found bad was that the Daily Mail didn't even call it "reminiscient of Indiana Jones" but a "spitting image of Indiana Jones". Now whilst Depp's outfit may remind the stylistically uneducated of IJ, anyone should be able to spot the differences. But then the Daily Mail has always been a tabloid newspaper and likes to make sweeping generalisations which are often far from accurate (in fact it's account of the Russian Revolution in 1917 is little more than sensationalist rubbish).

My favourite ever Daily Mail headline is from the mid Thirties, and reads simple "Hooray for the Blackshirts!"

mattfink

Practically Family
I think the vest and pants are fantastic...Mister Freedom Les Apaches collection, but the boots and MC are truly mismatched.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
<Groan>
Really, I have no desire to offend. Just throwing out my honest tuppence.

(1) This is, to a great extent, a style forum. Nothing at all wrong with that. However, that colors what some see.

(2) Depp has great personal style, if that matters to you. A good actor with flair in his private life. Which, clearly, is slanted toward making some sort of impression that affects his public persona. OK by me.

(3) I.J. is a fictional character outfitted by a costuming department - I get that. However, give them due credit: they paid some attention to what real adventuring types and explorers of that era were wearing. Now wearing a leather jacket in steamy South American jungles is ludicrous, but if you like these flicks you have to buy into the cartoon aspect to some extent IMO.

(4) I've been wearing clothes reminiscent of I.J. from time to time since the 1970s, before the movies. In the outdoors. As a geologist. As someone who likes to hike and camp. Plus high-tech stuff, but coming back to elements of this era this as the most practical overall.

Really, I know what you mean and have gotten the comments, but it ain't worth my time. I dress like I want and it's OK whatever they think. And from that perspective...Depp's alright in my book too.

- Bill

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
<Groan>
Really, I have no desire to offend. Just throwing out my honest tuppence.

(1) This is, to a great extent, a style forum. Nothing at all wrong with that. However, that colors what some see.

(2) Depp has great personal style, if that matters to you. A good actor with flair in his private life. Which, clearly, is slanted toward making some sort of impression that affects his public persona. OK by me.

(3) I.J. is a fictional character outfitted by a costuming department - I get that. However, give them due credit: they paid some attention to what real adventuring types and explorers of that era were wearing. Now wearing a leather jacket in steamy South American jungles is ludicrous, but if you like these flicks you have to buy into the cartoon aspect to some extent IMO.

(4) I've been wearing clothes reminiscent of I.J. from time to time since the 1970s, before the movies. In the outdoors. As a geologist. As someone who likes to hike and camp. Plus high-tech stuff, but coming back to elements of this era this as the most practical overall.

Really, I know what you mean and have gotten the comments, but it ain't worth my time. I dress like I want and it's OK whatever they think. And from that perspective...Depp's alright in my book too.

- Bill

Bill, I agree with most of what you say. A couple of things. This is not just a style site. It's also a quality site which may be on par or more significant to style here. It's a celebration of what was and is really well made. At any rate, that's my key interest in being here.

Re Mr Depp. I personally think his style is usually a try-hard boho-chic and I agree, it seems to work for him but I don't engage with it much at all. But I love his hats. Style is subjective. There's a more empircially based element to quality - when something is well made you're talking facts, not taste. ;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy