Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I've taken up drinkin'

davestlouis

Practically Family
I hadn't had even a sip of alcohol from 2000 to 2008. I just didn't feel like it. I had a couple of beers during 2008 and 2009. In 2010 I've rediscovered the joy of having a beer or two in the evening, in moderation of course. I'm enjoying some Schlafly No.15 pale ale, brewed in St Louis. Schlafly Brewery now claims they are the largest locally owned brewery in Missouri, since Inbev bought Anheuser-Busch. Yummy stuff.

At any rate, I'm on a mission to try interesting beers. My next step will be to try Cincinnati delicacies that I remember from my misspent youth: Hudepohl 14K, Hudy Delight and Burger Beer. Those brands are back in production by a contract brewer of some sort, I wonder if they taste the same? I wonder if I'd know it if they didn't?

What defunct local/regional brands of beer do other forum members recall fondly and miss?

Cody Pendant

One of the Regulars
Welcome ba(hic'up)ak!

;)

Not much on long defunct beers, their are so many new interesting ones,
but how 'bout pre 1980 Coors before it was dropped down to banquet.
Anyone got a can they kept in a refrigerated vault?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Western New York had Simon Pure Beer, made in Buffalo. That's gone. And in Dunkirk NY there was Koch's. They had a great brew, Koch's Holiday, that is still talked about. In Erie PA there was Koehler, another excellent beer. In New York there was Piels, and Rheingold (tho it seems Rheingold has been revived in some form). In the Pacific Northwest there was Olympia, and in Hawaii they had Primo. (According to what I just read, Primo is back as of a couple of years ago, but it was gone for a long time.)
Cleveland had P.O.C, aka Pride of Cleveland for many years.
Pearl Brewery was in San Antonio, Texas, and stopped producing beer in 2001.
So very many defunct brands. And many regional brands were bought out by the big congloms, which sold inferior products under the old names.
For example Blatz, the first Milwaukee beer to be sold nationally, is now produced by Miller under license from Pabst.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Probably won't mean much to most here but I really miss Burton's Creamy Ale which was brewed in NZ in the mid/late 90s by Lion Nathan Breweries. It got pulled because Lion Nathan also had the licence to brew Guinness in NZ and Burton's was eating an enormous hole in the local market share for Guinness. So what do they do? They discontinue Burton's which was an absolute bloody travesty. In all honesty it was one of the best beers I have ever tasted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran