Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket Fit Opinion Needed.

ldmax

Familiar Face
I would like an expert opinion on the fit of an A2. It is a size 42 from US Authentic. I wondering weather or not I should go down a size. I don't like the way the jacket sags creating those folds above the pockets. Also, the shoulders seem a little slack. However, the jacket is very comfortable. I don't want to go too much smaller due to my obvious gut!lol What do you guys think?
http://render2.snapfish.com/render2...?*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gXP0P|Rup6aQQ|/of=50,434,442
http://render2.snapfish.com/render2...?*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gXPn0|Rup6lQQ|/of=50,590,442
http://render2.snapfish.com/render2...?*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gXP00|Rup6lnl|/of=50,509,443
Thanks,

Tony

Rob

Familiar Face
Well, I think you recognise, via your question, that it's not a traditional A2 fit. My opinion is that, to go down a size in this make of jacket, you're going to find it even harder to zip up -- and you're not going to solve the way the arms are gathering up, anyway. So you'd be making the jacket less comfortable, and not solving the problem. That is illogical, Captain. My advice is to enjoy the jacket as it stands. It's a beaut :eusa_clap

kevinblack

New in Town
Idmax,

Concur with Rob's observations. It seems to me it's the old 22 yro fighter pilot jacket in a not so 22 yro fighter pilot body. I have exactly the same problem (give or tke 30 years and an additional largish number of inches around the mid section).

I realised that the 'authentic' A-2 with the 'authentic' fit wouldn't work. I'm about to buy a G&B Civil A-2 (as they say with the more relaxed fit, ie. to suit my more relaxed body shape). I'm hoping that their fit will accommodate my shape. I'm more into functionality than form so the G&B option looks like a plan.

Again, looking at the pics you supplied, my guess is going down a size may make it uncomfortable around the mid section and a possible challenge every time you zip it up (but I don't know what their measurements are).

Cheers,
Kevin

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
A-2 sizing is a struggle!

I'm 5'8", 215 lbs... and neither a US A or a G&B A-2 fit me perfectly!

US A's jackets are cut narrow but long. I've got a size 44 horsehide A-2: the shoulders and chest are perfect, the gut is tight (even worse now than when I got it, my having gained 10 lbs!), the sleeves and body are both long.

Flight Suits jackets are cut wide but short. I've got a size 46(!) Civil A-2. It is too big in the shoulders and chest, the gut is perfect, the sleeves are long... but - surprisingly - the body length is borderline short.

The only jacket I have that fits me perfectly is my Wested Raiders jacket - 'cause it was made to measure!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Rob said:
Well, I think you recognise, via your question, that it's not a traditional A2 fit.
But it's way closer than anything you could find on the mass market. The shoulders only get slacker and the armholes lower (which I think is causing the pulls across the chest.)

<plug>
Tony, you might be an ideal candidate for my Good Wear Bronco 44. It's a test copy of a 1942 government contract by a small shop which is doing extremely faithful reproductions. The notable thing about it is that the shoulders and sleeves are unusually slender for the chest size -almost like a 40 in other coats.

In comparison, my size 42 US-A goatskin A-2 is a good bit freer in the shoulders and sleeves. (Its sleeves are also longer than the Bronco's - you look as tho you could use 'em a bit shorter.)
Bronco pix and details here
</plug>

ldmax

Familiar Face
Thanks!

Thanks for the replies, guys. I would love to get an Eastman or Goodwear, but can't sink a grand into a jacket right now. Five hundred US$ is about my maximum jacket budget. I'm considering a US Authentic in their 'vintage' goat. Shaul sent me a sample, it is a beautiful dark russet brown. Cost is $378 or $450 for a custom size. If I can just get the sizing right, it will be a great jacket until the day I can plunk down the big dough for "1942 in a box". For now, I just want a reasonably priced daily wearer with some degree of authenticity.

Tony

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Go for the US Authentic!

It really is the best (non-used) A-2 repro you're going to find in the under-$500 category (now that G&B's prices are a hundred dollars higher than what's shown on their site). These jackets are pretty accurate - nice cotton lining and tough wool knits, reasonably good cut and detailing... And mega-tough horsehide, thicker than average, very springy and squeaky, which develops loads of character. And they have a rough-hewn, handmade feel that sets them apart from factory made products. (I have two G&B jackets, and they're very nice... but they're too "perfectly made" and they somehow lack the *soul* that my US A has in spades.)

I've had mine for over five years, and it remains a favorite. Like you, I dream of getting a first-class repro from one of the premium makers sometime, but dropping $700-900 simply isn't possible, not when I'm supporting two households (the joys of divorce!) and have two kids headed to college...

Anyway, best of luck... especially with getting the sizing issues straightened out. (I'm sure that if you provide Shaul with accurate measurements he can make you a jacket that will fit beautifully... and it won't take months of waiting.)

green papaya

One Too Many
no, I think it fits you fine

going down a size will make the shoulders and back fit tighter, restricting your freedom of movement while driving or operating aircraft, you need the room so you can move around in the driver's seat or cock pit.

pod0425.jpg

Gen McArthur's A2 has a full fit for freedom of movement

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
I have a US Authentic myself in 42, and that jacket is just too big for you. They can certainly accommodate a gut (as evidenced by mine 30lbs ago) but those shoulders are just too wide and the sleeves are too long. I expect a 40 would fit right.

Tom

Feraud

Bartender
The most important point in jacket fit is how comfortable the jacket feels when you wear it.
There is a slight debate on how snug an a2 should fit. Photographic evidence points to loose and snug fitting jackets. We have to consider the age and physical difference between a 20 yr. old pilot(them) and a 40 year old desk jockey (some of us) when viewing WWII photographs for reference.
Each person must decide what feels best for them or you will have a tight and expensive jacket sitting unworn in your closet.

fishmeok

Vendor
I think you could lose an inch in the shoulders and arms but that might make the belly too tight. As for the "authentic fit' I can show you pictures of every imaginable fit on guys (and girls) during the war, from obviously too bit to far too small. The majority were in between, with some snug-trim fitting jackets and others with a baggier appearance. A lot depended on who made the jacket contracts and the size.

Some things are pretty consistant though, high armholes, overall square look to the front of the jacket, shoulders that don't droop down 4 inches onto the arms when the jacket is zipped up, etc.

John Chapman has many pre-production and experimental Goodwears- he probably has something your size for under $500-

Here's a link to some photo's I scanned from the 95th BG postwar yearbook. Chck out the variety in sizing and fitment.
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p208/fishmeok/linux dump/95th BG/

Cheers
Mark

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
fishmeok said:
Some things are pretty consistant though, high armholes, overall square look to the front of the jacket, shoulders that don't droop down 4 inches onto the arms when the jacket is zipped up, etc.
Etc., to this wearer anyway, also includes pockets no more than a hand's length deep and placed well away from the zip flap, and a collar that doesn't hang down too far off your neck. You want it comfy when zipped high, but no baggier.

fishmeok

Vendor
Fletch said:
Etc., to this wearer anyway, also includes pockets no more than a hand's length deep and placed well away from the zip flap, and a collar that doesn't hang down too far off your neck. You want it comfy when zipped high, but no baggier.

Yeppers- it really gets fun (and is maybe just a little disturbing) when a person gathers enough knowlege about these things to be able to spot the little details a mile off...:)
Cheers
Mark

kampkatz

Practically Family
Fishmeok's photos provide a good variety of fits. There appears to be no rigid standard. Remember there were so many different manufacturers that there was no absolute uniformity. The clue may be : if it has a comfy fit and the look is acceptable to you then go for it.

Rob

Familiar Face
VetPsychWars said:
I have a US Authentic myself in 42, and that jacket is just too big for you. They can certainly accommodate a gut (as evidenced by mine 30lbs ago) but those shoulders are just too wide and the sleeves are too long. I expect a 40 would fit right.

Nope. ldmax, I want you to consider whether you'd like that jacket two inches tighter across your belly for the sake of having shoulders that look slightly better to A2 purists, or a comfortable jacket? When you have that answer worked out in your mind, you'll know what you should do.

Marv

A-List Customer
As you can see from the WW2 photos in the link, jackets sizes and fittings were all over the place so there isn't really a definitive cut, shape etc. it was just a case of you got what you got which looked about right.
My advice would be, if you like the jacket and it is comfortable then you made the correct choice and stick with it.
No sense in spending all that $$$$ on a jacket that is tight and uncomfortable to wear trying to find that elusive WW2 fit.......enjoy your A2 :)

ldmax

Familiar Face
Sleeves

Yeah, obviously the sleeves are too long. How much too long is another question. One inch, two inches? Also I think maybe the body of the jacket should be an inch shorter. This is maddening!

By the way, my user name is LDMAX not IDMAX. L/D Max is a sailplane term. The speed for maximum lift to drag ratio aka best glide speed. I am a glider pilot.

Tony

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot