Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JACKET - TRACKIT (For members burning to get their ordered jacket on their back)

HighandDry

A-List Customer
A year is a long time and I know how you feel.

I've been waiting for my Goodwear for a year. At this time, I figure I've already waited a year, so I might as well wait a little longer. I have enough jackets to play with, so the wait isn't too bad!

However, if I was going to buy an Aero Stewart/cafe racer/30's halfbelt, I would just buy it off the shelf from Insurrection. The wait time isn't worth it to me for a custom jacket from them.

If it's July and I'm still waiting, I would have to cancel and buy from another place ;)

frussell

One Too Many
The folks at Aero Scotland don't seem real pleased when Mark's customers call them to ask about progress. I tried several months ago to email them just to check on my wait time, and instead of answering me, they forwarded my email to Mark, who seemed mildly annoyed that I hadn't gone through him first. I had tried, but apparently my messages on eBay weren't getting through. Two days ago, I broke down and called Scotland and got a brief scolding for not dealing only with Mark. After the reprimand, I got the usual "two weeks," which is what I'd been getting from Mark since August, when he had initially (optimistically) said I "might" get delivery. I'm only at the 5 1/2 month mark so far, so I don't have much to complain about compared to several others here, but for the amount of money I'm spending, I would sure like to be treated like a valued customer, not an annoyance. I've contacted Mark perhaps twice by email since ordering in June, and only spoken to the folks at Aero once, so I don't feel like I've been overly needy. I'm hoping the "two weeks" estimate is accurate, because this part of Southern California doesn't stay cold very long. Frank

Good luck Frank. I'm down the road in Durham at the moment waiting to go over to Aero on Monday/Tuesday...
I know in my talking with Mark, he had some issues in the past with (TFL) forum members griping about deliveries online as opposed to talking with him, and it got him rightly upset. I've tried to be very understanding and aware of this when dealing with Mark and Aero, and it's worked out OK for me. I can't imagine how many emails he/they field on a daily basis, but it must be huge. A few idiots can sour one. I think that's what happened previously and it got to the point where he may have had enough. I know, you're (we're) paying a lot. We are. But all the small jacket makers do a good job without a huge staff and lots of work to do. I've had grumpy conversations with almost all of them. They warm up after they see you're not a tool (and I'm not saying you are/were)
Can't wait to see your and my jackets :)

frussell

One Too Many
Thanks for the good thoughts Scott. I'm not specifically griping about Mark, by the way. I purposefully left him alone for most of the last 5 1/2 months so I wouldn't be seen as a "pain." The few times I've heard from him after gentle prodding, I've gotten the same old "two weeks," "shouldn't be more than a few weeks," "couple more weeks" replies, going back to August. It would have been a bit more reassuring for the folks in Scotland to give me an answer that didn't sound exactly like the obviously not accurate replies I've been getting. I'm sure the jacket will be great, just don't want to wait until next year to be able to wear it. I've sold most of my good jackets in the meantime to pay for it! Have a good trip. Frank

borisna

A-List Customer
Just got notice from Mark that after 7 months my HWM is finally on it's way to him, so excited !!! :)

Mr. Paris

New in Town
Thanks to all for your input.
Having experienced the process a few times before I thought I was prepared for what certainly was going to be an exercise in patience...but I really wasn't.
The reason for this is not that I don't understand the nature of custom work...I do.
An easy jacket gets a quicker turn around time then a custom...that's a no brainer.
However I suspect that many first time buyers might be turned off over the average actual wait time for a basic jacket model, and perhaps the same could be said for veteran owners.
Waiting six months instead of twelve or sixteen weeks is not enjoyable but certainly easy to get over once that beauty arrives on your doorstep.
On the other hand, despite knowing first hand just how fine these jackets are; if I knew the cold hard facts meant I probably would not see my order for over a year might very well made me rethink the purchase altogether .
Realistic expectations and clear communication from those who purchase as well as the manufacturer is critical, but I suspect the business might be severely damaged if the true turn around times were clearly outlined.
Fact is at this point I'm in for the ride , and thankfully I'm still as anxious to put that jacket on for the first time as I was when I first ordered it.....I'm just glad I haven't gone off my diet !
Mr. Paris

If you saw the shop, it might help too. It's truly a small business in the sense that they're real humans making jackets by hand! I am so happy to support this type of business because in the states, it's all but impossible to find these places any longer.
I have to say that it's never easy to wait, but now I really get what they're doing there. We are too used to immediate gratification these days. Pt yourself in their place when you get anxious. I have been calm, and polite and I never had issues getting info or help. The wait was well worth it! Good luck to all in the queue.

Norwayman

New in Town
Helped a friend with sizing and the order of a FQHH Highwayman from Amanda at Aero Sept.14. - she told me delivery approx 16 weeks.
She was spot on! Jacket finished jan. 20. - Sent from Scotland yesterday, and delivered here in Norway today - superfast shipping!
The jacket was a 100% perfect fit - Excellent work and service!

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
The folks at Aero Scotland don't seem real pleased when Mark's customers call them to ask about progress. I tried several months ago to email them just to check on my wait time, and instead of answering me, they forwarded my email to Mark, who seemed mildly annoyed that I hadn't gone through him first. I had tried, but apparently my messages on eBay weren't getting through. Two days ago, I broke down and called Scotland and got a brief scolding for not dealing only with Mark. After the reprimand, I got the usual "two weeks," which is what I'd been getting from Mark since August, when he had initially (optimistically) said I "might" get delivery. I'm only at the 5 1/2 month mark so far, so I don't have much to complain about compared to several others here, but for the amount of money I'm spending, I would sure like to be treated like a valued customer, not an annoyance.

QFT that's why I decided to go with a Schott jacket from Legendary USA instead of giving my money to a certain NYC jacket maker with a similar attitude. I don't care how nice the product is, if they expect me to pay $1000 for a jacket and get dumped on for customer service they can get real. I will take my money somewhere else.

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
I collected my new Aero last week! I went up on 9th August to be measured and the jacket was made on Jan' 10 so my wait was very similar to Norwaymans, It's very tough waiting for a new Aero but when you finally get your new jacket all that wait suddenly seems worth it!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Wow... If I'd plopped down that kind of dosh for a custom made jacket I'd be havin' kittens. The only time I waited that long was for a custom made 4 string bass guitar. But the guy was making it down the street. I could pop in and check the progress. This is completely different. I plan to get fitted at FlightJacket (US Authentic I think) for my Black A2 when the tax check arrives. Wow... you guys ARE dedicated.

Worf

pauleway

Practically Family
Ordered a Custom Half Belt end of Dec 2009, received it Oct 2010. Was wrong color so I sent it back to Mark and he told me he would put a rush re-oreder in. Well it has been one full year and I still have not received my jacket. Have e-mailed Mark a few times, and he has been very nice, and I have been very patient but I know many of you have put in your order way after mine have received them much sooner! Hope to see it before the snow flies but at this point, I'm not counting on it.
Well, after 25 Months (original order Dec 2009, Re-Order Oct 2010) my jacket has finally arrived! It was a long wait and a little frustrating, but it's finally here. So you guys that have waited 5 to 6 months and are getting itchy, well that sounds like a cake walk to me!
The jacket is perfect and I am very pleased with the results. Here is some jacket specs:
1.50's Half Belt
2.Russet Goatskin
3.42 Short
4.Bi-Swing Back
5.Cargo Pockets w/ Button close
6.Wind (Storm Flap)
7.3-Season Cotton Berry Brown Tartan lining
8.No-Storm Cuffs
9.No-Chest Zip Pocket
10.Smaller sized collar (normal collar too large-Dracula size)
11.2-Inside pockets (1 map+1 vertical)
Will post some pics as soon as I can talk my brother into lending me his camera

GHQ1

One of the Regulars
Glad you got your jacket and that it's right this time . .but . .

25 months . .? How is that even fathomable as being OK?

pauleway

Practically Family
Glad you got your jacket and that it's right this time . .but . .

25 months . .? How is that even fathomable as being OK?

Didn't say it was OK! Just glad the wait is over. I actually received my initial order in 9 months, but was wrong color jacket. My re-order took another 16 months which is what i didn't understand. Sent e-mails and was polite, never got angry or never sent a hostile reply. Finally e-mailed Aero direct and I'm not sure if they lost my order or what. Guess I was too patient!!!
Anyway, just glad jacket is exactly what I ordered and I'm sure everyone waitng for their jacket won't have to wait as long, and will be glad when they only have to wait 4 to 6 months for their order to arrive. Good luck to everyone and I hope your jacket turns out as nice as mine did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran