Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jadite Fire King wear.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Jadeite is the stuff some of you may remember Grandmother having in her kitchen. Or, some of you remember even eating your breakfast serial out of the stuff. Or drinking tea, or coffee out of a D handled jadeite mug. This was a very inexpensive and common dish wear in the 30’s and was still being used, and made in the 50’s. The cool creamy green color was very popular and is today rather collectable. I would like to buy more, but it’s hard to buy it in large quantities seeing that one plate can cost $18. to $20. Even a butter dish with a crystal cover can be over $50. Bucks! I think Jadeite, Depression glass and Fiesta Wear are good kitchen wear for that correct period look in any vintage kitchen.

So, I was in an antique store today, (big surprise) LOL and I came across a late 30's or early 40's Jadeite vase. I thought to my self: I need to get some Jadeite in my collection! I'm now looking for any that is on ebay and that I can manage to afford. It can get expensive as with Depression glass.

Any one here collect Jadeite? Here is a photo of the vase I just got.

Root.

Feraud

Bartender
Great post Wild Root!
My wife loves and collects Jadeite. It is very beautiful to view in person(the wife and the Jadeite!;) ) . Some time ago my wife purchased in auction a whole dinner set, complete with original box and stickers on the plates and cups! I want to use this stuff but it is too valuable to her.
You are correct, Jadeite is somewhat expensive to buy.
From what my better half tells me, the domestic guru Martha Stewart has bought up tons of the antique Jadeite! I believe you can view some of the pieces in the background if you watch her show.
I think FireKing is still making Jadeite pieces. I have seen mixing bows, platters and some other items new in stores.
Interesting stuff! :)

Retro Grouch

One of the Regulars
Good stuff, Root. :cool:

I have four Jadeite coffee mugs in the cupboard. They were left in the cabin along with an interesting collection of Tupperware. These are my favorite coffee mugs. I can remember going to my great aunt's house and drinking hot chocolate out of Jadeite mugs. Talk about nostalgia...! I've also seen some Jadeite type dishware in department stores. Hmmm, maybe time to add to the collection.

Interesting that you mentioned Fiestaware. I had to replace my 30 old and dying pfaltzgraff dishes. The first thing I thought of was a mixed set (all ten settings are different colors) of Fiesta ware. Great stuff! There is lots of old dish pieces around too. Just what I need, something else to collect. :rolleyes: :)

Fiestaware

Tom

Wild Root

Gone Home
I just knew some one here remembered drinking hot coco out of one of those mugs!

I know how it can run a bit high priced when it's a full set with the original labels still intact! I wouldn't use them my self!

Fiesta ware is almost every where in Antique stores! But, they want a lot of cash for a whole set if you can find one.

I would buy new Fiesta wear since the old stuff had led in it.

But, sure would be fun to have some originals to display in a nice 40's china hutch.

Wow, we haven’t had any ladies post to a thread about dishes! Aahaha, that's a hot one.LOL

Keepn’ it vintage,

Root.

Retro Grouch

One of the Regulars
It's interesting how something that was made to be affordable is commanding such a high price. There is a lot of Fiestware in antique shops here too. Some of it is brand new. :confused: I'm heading to Tennessee for Xmas, to see my parents. There is a shop near them that has old Fiestaware and other dishes. I might just have to do a little looking.

Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran