Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jame Dean Double Bash Fedora?

zeus36

A-List Customer
I shot this pic of a pic at the Monterrey Aquarium. There is a display that that is an old 50's cafe with vintage photos on the wall. The reason I took it was the rear bash on James Dean's fedora. Anyone seen this double bashing before?

929770.jpg
[/IMG]

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i've got about 6 books on james dean and have never seen a picture of him before in a fedora. seems he wasn't a hat wearer at all.are you sure it's not just a bashed up old hat he's clowning about in for the photo ?

zeus36

A-List Customer
The way it's pulled down in front makes me agree with you. Maybe just goofing around. Except that it is signed by Dean. If it were today, with instant pictures, I could see him signing a polaroid when it was shot, while clowning around. This photo would have been developed and presented to him at a later date. Don't know if that would have made a difference..... Maybe it is not his signature?

ufguy11

One of the Regulars
Wether it is him or not, yes I have seen the double bashing. If you watch old movies, sometimes you'll see that the hat wearers have all different types of "bashings" in their hats. Back then, I think, that a fedora was just considered like a baseball cap is considered today, just a hat. The wearer in this photo probably wasn't even paying attention to the fact he hat a double bashing in his hat.

J.J.

classyguy

Familiar Face
This is an old post...but thought id reply anyhow.

The photo in question is featured in the book "James Dean" by George Perry.

The photo came from the collection of David Loehr, used to be the official James Dean Archivist, however, sold most of his collection including a peice of the '55 porsche spyder Jimmy died in, the Lee Evans Jeans from Giant, a blazer, pants and shirt from East of Eden, and the T-shirt from Rebel amoungst many other items.

It looks to me that it was taken on the set of Rebel. He's wearing the same brown-fleck blazer and white dress shirt.

As for him not wearing hats...he was very fond of the cowboy hat during and after the filming of Giant. Also, he often wore Ivy League Caps.

Just more of my James Dean knowledge.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
I've seen the double side dents, before. I think I've even worn it, at least once. (Crown treatments were a sign of creativity and individualism. There are
many that have been forgotten. Thanks for discovering this one.) :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ