Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

James Dean Jacket

alfa

Familiar Face
Thanks Johhny R.

I cant seem to find the price of the Hideout jacket. It looks to be a good remake of the McGregor.
Hopefully McGregor comes out with a new jacket soon. The online shopping doesnt work on their site.
I like my King replica.. but the cutting is still kind of off.....but it just might be my body is off. Dean wore his jacket large, tight waist push up to the top of his jeans... with the body of the jacket puff up. Sleeves aren't tight either. My original McGregor is very stiff and I dont think it can do that look. I think the lining makes a big difference. Deans just looks like it's a heavier jacket or worn in.. when he hands the jacket to plato it looks heavier and a softer jacket. My McGregor doesnt do that. But my King does with it's thicker fleece lining.

I also saw a pic of the King jacket with a dark brown linining, which I like much better than my black lining.

alfa

Familiar Face
I contacted Martijn the sales director of the new McGregor collection.
It looks like the online store is not available to Canada. I'm guessing the US as well.

This is what she had to say:

Quote: Unfortunately is it for us not allowed to sell in Canada. We do not own the brand rights in Canada. So in that case I can not help you.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martijn Wijnen
McGregor
Sales Director Netherlands
Mmartijn.wijnen@mcgregor.nl

polocoat

One of the Regulars
Did I read that the original jacket was 100% nylon? Also, I read a few posts here that mentioned a "King" jacket, what is that and where can it be seen and ordered?

alfa

Familiar Face

alfa

Familiar Face
Your my hero CeeBee! thats awesome! Thanks so much for the screen cap.
Do they list anymore sizes on the site?

What do you guys think of the jacket? it seems they made some updates.
(adding a McGregor logo in the underside back collar.)

It looks to be $265 US
Any buyers?

polocoat

One of the Regulars
The Mcgregor jacket shown is polyester. Wasn't the original Dean jacket made using 100% nylon? If so, isn't nylon available to manufacturers today?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
The Mcgregor jacket shown is polyester. Wasn't the original Dean jacket made using 100% nylon? If so, isn't nylon available to manufacturers today?

Of course nylon is available. The one in the film is as shiny as an MA-1. But was it a Mcgregor? Remember the stories about it being a custom job - I'm a sceptic about these - but it is another angle.

alfa

Familiar Face
McGregor

I think at this point.. we assume the McGregor Anti Freeze is the closest to a production version of theDean jacket we can find. It is most likely the jacket was custom fitted to Dean.

If anyone can find any other info on this new McGregor jacket that would be great.
I would also consider buying it if someone can help with the transitional shipping.

McCoy

New in Town
527521_10150720745509248_772984247_9150876_1362516694_n.jpg

You can see the graceful arcs instead of straight lines for the collar piece. Brown alpaca lining and green flannel sleeve lining. Thin DuPont Nylon twill shell. Twelve stitches per inch construction.

530855_10150720746669248_772984247_9150882_812694346_n.jpg

Cuff detail. Darker red buttons.

555615_10150720747264248_33742307_n.jpg

Nomenclature tag. Brass Talon #5 zipper with rectangular slide pull. Jack Russell hair/alpaca lining. This jacket is worn.

380698_10150720748179248_772984247_9150892_2110966839_n.jpg

Full view of the "Rebel" jacket.
Short torso comparatively to modern sizes. McGregors "Bread & butter" offering is pretty far off on accuracy. Pocket flaps are not accurate as well as torso length.

530636_10150720748854248_772984247_9150898_909683811_n.jpg

One piece back. Very nice.

I have enjoyed this thread a lot and have searched for an accurate as well as an affordable knock around "Rebel" jacket. I have retired this jacket and have a thicker Nylon "Rebel" style jacket made by Sportscaster here in Seattle in the early sixties. It boasts an aluminum Crown zipper that is larger toothed and a quilted Rayon lining. Both great jackets.
The red color of the McCoys jacket is toned down and not a bright "look at me, look at me" hue. Of course any garment that is not dark nor Earth toned will be noticed in modern society. I do not feel like a "dick" wearing it out in public but the ladies do turn and look back.
I am 6'2" and 185 lbs. Usually with Japanese reproduction jackets I wear an XL, but this jacket fits well. I picked it up on another forum in 2006 for a couple hundred dollars - I would speculate I paid a third of it's original asking price.
Other accurate jackets on this thread were the McGregors with the off-white lining and the King Japan jacket with the inner breast pocket.

Last edited:

alfa

Familiar Face
McCoy

Hey McCoy!
That is one nice looking jacket! Thanks so much for sharing.
Japanese are pretty crazy about Dean, and they made a nice replica.
I would say your McCoy is a better representation compared to the King Jacket.
But I guess thats why the search is so much fun.

Thanks!

McCoy

New in Town
Hey McCoy!
That is one nice looking jacket! Thanks so much for sharing.
Japanese are pretty crazy about Dean, and they made a nice replica.
I would say your McCoy is a better representation compared to the King Jacket.
But I guess thats why the search is so much fun.

Thanks!

You are welcome! It's fun to surf eBay in search of this type of jacket. I was bit by the nylon bug many years ago and have collected several nylon flight jackets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot