Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

James Stewart today? Tom Hanks!

Caledonia

Practically Family
Doc" Devereux]What? Oh. Um. Oops. Corrected said:
Arrrr![/COLOR]

Not to worry Doc, I didn't notice a mistake. Mine if any - I was replying to Cabinetman one post too late. :)

And Danny L, those pictures say it all really. Mr Stewart commands the screen exactly as he always did!

Hadn't thought of Clooney as Gable, but now I come to think of it there is something there. But I'd have to agree with another post that there isn't really a "new" anybody. They all have their own charisma and talents. Recently Pitt was the "new" Redford. Ok, some similarity, and Redford definitely used him in that role for a couple of films, but in reality - they've all got their own.

That said:

Ewan McGregor

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
Caledonia said:
Ewan McGregor

Doesn't hurt that he's a fellow countryman either, I suppose. Well, I say that as if I really know. I'm afraid I couldn't pick him out of line-up, much less do I know his lineage. His name is traditionally Scottish, though, right?

:eek:fftopic:

When describing things or people from Scotland, is "Scottish" always used or is "Scotch" ever acceptable?

I am now reminded of a Mike Myers character and skit from Saturday Night Live..."If it's not Scottish, it's crap!"

Haversack

One Too Many
The Clooney-Gable comparison jumped our at me when I first saw _O Brother Where Art Thou?_. It seemed very clear that Clooney was channeling Gable through the latter's role of Peter Warne in _It Happened One Night_. There was the glibness, the patter, and the optimism. What clinched it was when the three were all thumbing to hitch a ride, each one was using one the three methods of thumbing that Gable was teaching Colbert before she used her own.

Haversack.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Cabinetman said:
Doesn't hurt that he's a fellow countryman either, I suppose. Well, I say that as if I really know. I'm afraid I couldn't pick him out of line-up, much less do I know his lineage. His name is traditionally Scottish, though, right?

:eek:fftopic:

When describing things or people from Scotland, is "Scottish" always used or is "Scotch" ever acceptable?

I am now reminded of a Mike Myers character and skit from Saturday Night Live..."If it's not Scottish, it's crap!"

lol Love the last quote - totally accurate. And never ever ever refer to things as Scotch. You will be sat on very hard by a very big Scottish rugby player and forced to eat thistles! His name is about as Scottish as they come. Try IMDB for a quick rundown. He's not a huge Hollywood name, but he is an A-list celeb, and he's a generally pretty down to earth and nice guy. Not that I've had the pleasure of meeting him, sad to say. :)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Caledonia said:
lol Love the last quote - totally accurate. And never ever ever refer to things as Scotch. You will be sat on very hard by a very big Scottish rugby player and forced to eat thistles!

But the important question here is...do they still do that to me if I call Scotch eggs Scotch eggs?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Nicolas Cage is, in my opinion a pretty good actor, but doesn't exactly give you the warm fuzzies. Anthony Hopkins: It seems a lot of people only think of his acting career pertaining to the films he did involving the cannibal (or whatever it was), his movies go far beyond that. He's extremely talented, and just looking at him, makes me want to run up and give him a great big bear hug :D

Caledonia

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
But the important question here is...do they still do that to me if I call Scotch eggs Scotch eggs?

I was trying to ignore Scotch eggs lol . They are the exception that proves the rule! I think as long as you can eat as many as Steve McQueen in the Great Escape you'll be safe, but don't bank on it. I can hear the thunder of an entire scrum running your way as we speak. :D

Mystery. I thought about Nicholas Cage too, but had to reject him on the warm and fuzzy ground. Although I watched Matchstick Men the other night, and I have to admit if there's one role I'd overdub James Stewart on, that'd be it. JS would have been great in that. Bad man with a conscience turns good.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Caledonia said:
I was trying to ignore Scotch eggs lol . They are the exception that proves the rule! I think as long as you can eat as many as Steve McQueen in the Great Escape you'll be safe, but don't bank on it. I can hear the thunder of an entire scrum running your way as we speak. :D

As long as the scrum brings me some Irn Bru to wash the eggs down with, I should be fine. Tell them to each carry a family sized bottle and life will be merry. :p

Caledonia

Practically Family
Here they come!!!!!! AAARRRRGH, Cruuunch, SNap, GRRRRiiiind, YEEEAARARRRRG, Batter, SMMMASSSH, Squish, FLLLLOp..........Fiiiiiiiiizzzzzzzz. Shhhhhhhh, Glup, glup, glup, Aaaaahhhh. Sigh, Irn Bru. Your other national drink!

Sorry for the blatent advertisement.
:D

Wild Root

Gone Home
Hanks...

I really enjoy Tom Hanks, a fine actor! Loved his roll in all the period films he made, love the Green Mile and Road to Perdition. He’s a fantastic actor. Compared with James Stewart, I don't see it. Today, there really isn't any actor that I see who's like Stewart. James was a great, he knew how to capture an audience. I'm a die hard Stewart fan, I don't think anyone comes close today as being as great as Stewart. Now, I have seen Jim Carry do a very good impersonation of Stewart... very good but, that's different.

Any way, there will only be ONE James Stewart.

Rest in peace Mr. Stewart Sir,

=WR=

0422%20james%20stewart.jpg

ClassicIsBetter

One of the Regulars
Wildroot, I too was thinking Jim Carrey. I didn't the guts to say it. I can actually see Jim Carrey playing Stewart if there was ever a move made about him... Yes, Jim *can* do drama that doesn't even talking buttocks.

Caledonia

Practically Family
ClassicIsBetter said:
Wildroot, I too was thinking Jim Carrey. I didn't the guts to say it. I can actually see Jim Carrey playing Stewart if there was ever a move made about him... Yes, Jim *can* do drama that doesn't even talking buttocks.

Wild card, but could work.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
I'll hold off on crowning Hanks the "new" Stewart until I see him in some truly dark, tormented roles. Stewart, on the other hand, was not a very nice character in many of those Anthony Mann westerns. Hanks, even in Road To Perdition, was still "good", even if he was a mob enforcer! I'm still holding out hope that he'll sink into a role where he can really stretch.

Naphtali

Practically Family
Though near the end of his career, I think you have overlooked James Garner.

While most of his characterizations have been affable, folksy, whimsical James Stewart-ish, see James Garner's portrayal in "Hour of the Gun" and compare it with James Stewart's in "Man From Laramie" and "Flight of the Phoenix."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran