Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese brands rejecting Shinki

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah, but if I needed a raincoat, I wouldn't use any leather jacket. That would have nothing to do with veg tanned vs. Chrome tanned.

I'm just saying your experience of rain is pretty different from that of people in other places. Correct, a leather jacket is never a raincoat, but in many places you need to be ready for the possibility of unexpected rain (that's harder than anything in SoCal). The versatility is pretty crucial in most places.

And chrome tanned leather is inherently more water resistant.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I'm just saying your experience of rain is pretty different from that of people in other places. Correct, a leather jacket is never a raincoat, but in many places you need to be ready for the possibility of unexpected rain (that's harder than anything in SoCal). The versatility is pretty crucial in most places.

And chrome tanned leather is inherently more water resistant.
There's people on this forum from other areas who agree with me on this. Not saying everyone will. We don't have to agree on this. I've gotten a couple of my jackets absolutely soaked and they came out just fine. And when I say soaked, I mean really soaked. I have lived in other places besides socal so I know what rain is.

Aloysius

FWIW I've worn veg tan jackets wet as well. I'm not saying you can't.

I was just saying a chrome tanned Shinki hide without a topcoat could be a nice middle ground option (naked, grainy hide + boosted water resistance.)

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
FWIW I've worn veg tan jackets wet as well. I'm not saying you can't.

I was just saying a chrome tanned Shinki hide without a topcoat could be a nice middle ground option (naked, grainy hide + boosted water resistance.)
Certainly could be. I'm not disagreeing either. I'm not a chrome tanned guy, but I do think the chrome tan stuff iron heart uses in their fourspeed collabs actually looks great. I'd be interested in that leather if those jackets weren't all way too long for me haha

JCSD

Practically Family
One more to show off Greg's exceptional skill

View attachment 396723
clip_image001.jpg
That jacket is absolute perfection

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
In my experience, veg tan jackets don't even need the protection of these coatings. Just wear them in the rain. They get better from it.

Don't mean to sound rude, but you live in an area with 30 days of rain a year.
As someone living in a country with more than 200 rainy days a year i can tell you veg tan sucks in the rain.

I wear leather jackets in the rain, but not veg tanned ones.

MrProper

Don't mean to sound rude, but you live in an area with 30 days of rain a year.
As someone living in a country with more than 200 rainy days a year i can tell you veg tan sucks in the rain.

I wear leather jackets in the rain, but not veg tanned ones.

I don't even know how many rainy days there are on average in my area. It feels like far too many. But since I no longer ride a motorcycle, the moments when I come unexpectedly in the rain are almost zero. And the few raindrops from the building to the car or subway holds out any jacket. For longer distances I have an umbrella with me when the weather forecast predicts rain.
My veg tan aniline shinki has been completely wet before. Has the jacket made no difference, but it is then cool and clammy. So not so pleasant. Better leave dry.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I don't even know how many rainy days there are on average in my area. It feels like far too many. But since I no longer ride a motorcycle, the moments when I come unexpectedly in the rain are almost zero. And the few raindrops from the building to the car or subway holds out any jacket. For longer distances I have an umbrella with me when the weather forecast predicts rain.
My veg tan aniline shinki has been completely wet before. Has the jacket made no difference, but it is then cool and clammy. So not so pleasant. Better leave dry.

It's easy to find information, just google "average days of rain in ..."
I'm not saying wearing veg tanned in the rain will damage the jacket, just that i have never worn a veg tanned leather jacket that has kept me dry in Belgian rain.
Even my Thedi and it's waxed finish was fully soaked after 10 minutes out in the rain.
I personally don't believe in umbrellas (i would make them illegal if i had the power to do so), so for me it's chrome tanned jackets most days.

Proffset

New in Town
I'm not saying wearing veg tanned in the rain will damage the jacket, just that i have never worn a veg tanned leather jacket that has kept me dry in Belgian rain.
Even my Thedi and it's waxed finish was fully soaked after 10 minutes out in the rain.
I personally don't believe in umbrellas (i would make them illegal if i had the power to do so), so for me it's chrome tanned jackets most days.

I really had to laugh out loud at your last sentence. Purely out of curiosity, what do you have against umbrellas?

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
My point is that veg tan won't get damaged in the rain, not that it will protect you equally. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that. As I had said before, if I wanted to be protected from rain, I'd buy something different anyway.

El Marro

Certainly could be. I'm not disagreeing either. I'm not a chrome tanned guy, but I do think the chrome tan stuff iron heart uses in their fourspeed collabs actually looks great. I'd be interested in that leather if those jackets weren't all way too long for me haha
That is my one gripe with almost everything IH makes. I’m 6’1” and most of it is too long for me!

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I really had to laugh out loud at your last sentence. Purely out of curiosity, what do you have against umbrellas?

I'm pretty sure anyone who is above 6' and had to walk on sidewalks at rush hour when it is raining has similar vues...
People are too careless to handle an umbrella without poking all the tall people's eyes out.

I also value the use of my hands, and to me the the umbrella trade-off is not worth it.
I would rather have both my hands free and a hat + jacket than having to dedicate one hand to holding an umbrella.
Maybe if we had three hands it would make more sens, but i'm not giving up 50% of my hands to try to stay dry.

Also i freaking hate umbrellas, burn em all i say!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Veg tan shrinks, or tightens is the better word. At least all mine does, regardless of tannery. Will add photos later. But a bird dropped a bomb on my veggie Thedi, this will get washed and I will try my best to perform his signature wash and wax method which sadly my markos didn’t come with.

Chrome tan was invented after the trench wars for a very good reason. No respectable motorist jacket would be made from veg tan leather.

Im not saying which one is better or worse because in reality even the leather suppliers can’t tell the difference between pure veg tan and combi tan, without invasive test like burning.

I also HATE umbrellas. Visit Vancouver and you will understand. We could use some tourist money.

Here’s an interesting read on Himeji leather. My money is that one of the major Japanese brand will make a Himeji white leather jacket as their Grail, very soon. Sucks to be Shinki, they did nothing wrong but a pawn in the game of how business is run.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Leathercraft/comments/m65jmc/do_you_know_japanese_himeji_leather_its_very/

effing birds, I wish I had their aim
D33F2C0E-5A74-4D65-A95A-4E4141D41C11.jpeg

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
But a bird dropped a bomb on my veggie Thedi, this will get washed and I will try my best to perform his signature wash and wax method which sadly my markos didn’t come with.

Are you planning on washing the jacket entirely, getting it soaking wet? I soaked the sleeves of my hh Thedi using a spray bottle. They held up perfectly fine but when I touched them when they were wet my hands got completely orange from the tannines. Therefore I'm not sure washing it will be a good idea, you might flush out the tannines/color.

I did apply beeswax to bring back the lustre because the leather looked a bit dull afterwards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB