Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jfk bomber jacket

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
The G-1 was then, and still is, issued by the US Navy. While it wouldn't be my personal first choice for a sailing trip, it is, after all, still a Navy jacket. It does not surprise me at all to see JFK…a former Naval officer…wearing a G-1 out on the water.

The G-1 has a long history of being used by many different USN personnel other than just aviators. Carrier deck crews wore them (perhaps illegally), bridge officers wore them (perhaps illegally), gun boat crews wore them (perhaps illegally). Generally, anyone who had to work outside in a cool, windy environment might be seen (perhaps illegally) wearing one. In fact, it wasn't until the mid 1970's that the Navy seriously cracked down on the unauthorized use of G-1s. And when that happened, the pendulum swung completely the other way. Even aviators had difficulty getting G-1s, and those that could get them were severely restricted as to when and where they could wear their jackets.

AF

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Apparently at least one person has set sail in a leather jacket: JFK.

Yeah, there's been a few G-1 sailors over the years. (OK, purists...I know...Errol's jacket is actually a M-422).

SailingErrol20Zaca_yachts_zps6cece047.jpg

AF

pauleway

Practically Family
The G-1 was always one of my favorite jackets. In 1980 my wife had a friend in the marines who got her a G-1 for me for Christmas. At that time you could not just pick one up as easily as now. One of the best X-mas presents ever, and I wore it for years-but sadly grew out of it. I still have it but it is just a little too tight to truely enjoy wearing it!

thor

Call Me a Cab
I wonder if JFK's G-1 is now the most expensive leather jacket ever?
I remember a thread posted on FL about an original Douglas MacArthur A-2 that had a starting bid of 100k or so. Not sure what that one eventually sold for (or even if it sold).

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wonder if JFK's G-1 is now the most expensive leather jacket ever?
I remember a thread posted on FL about an original Douglas MacArthur A-2 that had a starting bid of 100k or so. Not sure what that one eventually sold for (or even if it sold).

It sold for $32,500-much less than the guide price.

pauleway

Practically Family
When I saw him allegedly sailing in the jacket, that's the first thing I thought. I have done a lot of sailing, and leather is the last choice.

Final price was $665,500. About 10 times what was expected.
Just a little bit out of my price range!

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Turns out that JFK's G-1 is a '62 Ralph Edwards, which is a B-series jacket. I guess my original inclination about it being a Cagleco wasn't that far off base. I actually have a '62 RE in my collection that I bought some years ago for my girlfriend. She's never worn it much 'cause she's kinda a girlie-girl, so I might be willing to sell it. I understand that no president ever wore her jacket, so I'll reluctantly knock a hundred grand off the JFK jacket's selling price. Tell you what...for a mere $490,000 USD, I’ll hook you up with a genuine USN G-1 exactly like JFK's! From the exact same contract! Come to think about it, probably made by the same seamstress! Step forward and don’t hesitate! First come, first served!!

AF

Last edited:

thor

Call Me a Cab
Turns out that JFK's G-1 is a '62 Ralph Edwards, which is a B-series jacket. I guess my original inclination about it being a Cagleco wasn't that far off base. I actually have a '62 RE in my collection that I bought some years ago for my girlfriend. She's never worn it much 'cause she's kinda a girlie-girl, so I might be willing to sell it. I understand that no president ever wore her jacket, so I'll reluctantly knock a hundred grand off the JFK jacket's selling price. Tell you what...for a mere $490,000 USD, I’ll hook you up with a genuine USN G-1 exactly like JFK's! From the exact same contract! Come to think about it, probably made by the same seamstress! Step forward and don’t hesitate! First come, first served!!

AF

LOL! Throw in a hand-carved Solomon Islands coconut and I'll think about it!

pauleway

Practically Family
I have a '68 Ralph Edwards C-Series I got off e-Bay few years ago with new cuffs, and in good condition for about $125.00!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up

AF
Throw in an original 103 class Elco PT boat with three working Packard engines and we have a deal!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy