Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jim Green Vellies

Fifty150

One Too Many
a lot of people who couldn't handle how he trashed the Aldens

For the small community of boot nerds, with a smaller percentage of whom are Indy Boot nerds, it was quite the ruckus.

The rest of the world didn't notice.

It wasn't just Alden. Wesco, Danner, Wolverine 1000 Mile, Allen Edmonds, Dr. Martens, NPS Solovair, and other shoes got bad reviews. But it was a marketing schematic. All of those bad review videos were followed by good reviews of boots with endorsement, sponsorships, collaborations, and where Mr. Kay gets a commission. It's just business. Nobody forces anyone to watch it. Nobody forces me to watch. Anyone who doesn't like it, can stop watching.

The Alden reviews may have contributed. The Wesco review caused such a stir that Wesco made a response video. Most of the other manufacturers continued with "business as usual", and chose not to respond.

It's just business. Nobody forces anyone to watch it. Nobody forces me to watch. Anyone who doesn't like it, can stop watching.

I think that the HuckBerry boots video was the "a-ha moment" for some people. The moment where a lot of the viewers figured out that Weston Kay was not unbiased. They finally figured out that he was shilling a poorly constructed item. It's like when you've been with a girl for XXXX time, and then you realize that she was not faithful. You're angry at yourself for not seeing all the signs sooner.

Fifty150

One Too Many
This boot actually looks like it's well built and worth owning. I'm a little stand-offish because of the pricing. On the USA website, the price in US Dollars is 40% higher than South African website price in Rand. On the other hand, handmade in The USA stitchdown boots from The Pacific NorthWest retail for a lot more. Not a fair comparison because Pacific NorthWest boot companies use a much heavier leather, plus a lot more leather.

1702705713611.png

I have the Steel Toe Cap. No complaints yet. They are heavy, though. About what you expect for a steel toe boot. The boots are comfortable, thanks to the padded collar and tongue. The leather quality is very good. The soles are stable and grip well. I haven't slipped yet. I've got them oiled, and waxed for the upcoming atmospheric rivers. These should hold up to a winter chasing girls around pool tables in bar rooms.

img_20231215_215251731-jpg.570832

IMG_20231215_215125523_HDR.jpg

1702706825297.png

Attachments

• IMG_20231215_215251731.jpg
    IMG_20231215_215251731.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 235

Fifty150

One Too Many
To be fair Dr Martin's are overpriced garbage.

Agreed. NPS Solovair and Dr. Martens are overpriced. And they are constructed with lesser grade parts.

Dr. Martens were soft, rubbery soles, with pockets of air, which gave the wearer a soft, cushioned step. There was also the added grip of the rubber sole treads. The soles are heat melted onto the shoe. The shoe is made of lower quality leather, which is sanded smooth and painted.

75 years ago, this was groundbreaking technology. The boot was more comfortable than hard leather soles, which were slippery in the winter. The boots were popular with old ladies doing gardening, postal workers and policemen who walked all day, and factory workers. A demographic which was buying Dr. Martens as a better alternative to cheap shoes of that era. These weren't bankers and policy makers, wearing fine bespoke footwear, sitting behind a desk all day.

I don't think that anyone is buying Dr. Martens, with the idea that they are getting a premium item. I know that they are not good. I don't buy Dr. Martens with the thought in mind to resole them and keep them forever. Since I was a kid in school, I've always owned at least 1 pair of Dr. Martens. The Air Sole on those shoes offers a good "feel" when I ride my motorcycle and put my feet down. When my foot goes under the shifter peg to shift up, I never worry about ruining the vamp on nice leather.

While Dr. Martens are not good shoes, I've never had a catastrophic failure. I've never had the stitches burst open. The heat weld soles do not fall off like cemented soles. The soft rubber tread pattern wears down faster than modern Vibram lug soles. The painted leather will crack after years of use. Then I throw them away.

The problem with Dr. Martens and Solovair is pricing. Today's pricing is way too high for what they are selling. They used to be lower priced, in comparison to the prevailing wage. It used to be that you could buy a pair of shoes for a day's wages. Now, they are sold at 2 days' wages.

It's fair and reasonable to pay factory workers a living wage, and I understand how much that can cost in England. The factories are paying people a lot of money to make a bad shoe. The factories could pay these same people a lot of money to make a good shoe. I have a hard time with paying a premium sales price for a less than premium product.

TLW '90

Practically Family
I don't think that anyone is buying Dr. Martens, with the idea that they are getting a premium item.

The problem with Dr. Martens and Solovair is pricing. Today's pricing is way too high for what they are selling. They used to be lower priced, in comparison to the prevailing wage. It used to be that you could buy a pair of shoes for a day's wages. Now, they are sold at 2 days' wages.
It all works together against them though, and there are negative side effects of the pricing aside from them just costing too much.
Many people who don't know any better will most definitely assume they're getting a high quality premium product for the money.
Why do you think so many cry " the made in England are better " " Solovair is better " ...etc ?
It's because the average person expects good quality for $200+, especially in something most people are buying for casual / fashion or desk job uses.

Last edited:

Fifty150

One Too Many
" the made in England are better "

" Solovair is better "

the average person expects good quality for $200+

I completely agree. With you. And with the average person. $200 is a lot of money to get poor quality. Of course, it can be argued that the suggested retail price is not what you should pay, and that you could buy these shoes for a lot less when there is a sale. Dr. Martens and Solovair always has certain colors and styles on sale. Same is said about Allen Edmonds and Wolverine 1000 Mile Boots. Nobody should buy them at full price.

1702800134153.png
1702800560117.png

I bought my Jim Green for about $90. Half the price of the suggested retail price of $180. And I can wait another year before I buy another pair during next year's Black Friday. Even though I really like their AR8 and the new Numzaan. The Numzaan does everything that I like. Single piece of leather for the vamp. Full leather lining. Extra piece of leather as a heel counter. Extra piece of leather as a toe cap. Double lasted with a full leather insole and midsole.

The only problem for me, and it's only in my head, is that I could buy a Pacific NorthWest boot. Made with 7 - 8 oz leather. Just more leather and heavier leather all the way around. Higher arch. Vibram soles.

It's like playing fantasy football. Which boot do I imagine "drafting"? In real life, I really enjoy cheap shoes. I feel like I got over. I got them on sale, with a coupon, and at a good price. The real reason that I didn't buy Jim Green Vellies is because I bought Clarks Desert Boots for $25.

I often wear, as I did today, the worst junk possible. Cheap jungle boots. Since I was a teen, I have always had a pair of jungle boots. The cheap kind, that you wouldn't care about throwing away if something happened to them. Without a doubt, these are the worst quality, mass marketed shoes. My current pair was only $20 from Amazon. They are light in weight, since they are made with canvas. The rubber soles do actually grip well on city sidewalks. I'm not upset when I step on gum or whatever unpleasantness is on a city sidewalk. And on my feet, they are comfortable. Depending on your lifestyle, it pays off to own cheap shoes that you can trash.

IMG_20231217_001512582.jpg

During Amazon Black Friday, Jim Green Vellies were about $60. I almost bought them. I had to stop myself. I already own Clarks, which I only paid $25. And the Vellies would be almost identical in the way that they wear on my feet. Cheap shoes which feel extremely comfortable. Clarks are another shoe which you should only buy on sale.

1702802014249.png

IMG_20231217_003650108.jpg

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I find the shoe cutting guy entertaining but I pay no attention to his commentary, which is fairly worthless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred