Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jimi Hendrix hussar jacket

warbird

One Too Many
Gotta say that is pretty cool. I remember seeing pics of him in that jacket. Was his jacket bespoke as well or was it an item that was sold already made at the time?

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
It's widely held that the jacket (a Hussar's pelisse - not sure whether it was from the 7th Hussar's - a good set of images here http://media.photobucket.com/image/7th hussar pelisse/dibble201/img314-1.jpg) was original and bought from 'I Was Lord Kitchener's Valet' in Carnaby Street. I always wanted a Hussar's tunic like Adam Ant wore during the '80s - worn under the pelisse in the original uniform, but I understand that this one wasn't his own but hired.

The original post is a terrific recreation though...

Last edited:

randooch

I'll Lock Up
How many people could really pull off wearing that beauty? Not I, that's for sure. Gotta have a real rock-star persona. If I were a twenty-something with attitude, that'd be my jacket!

greeny

Familiar Face
Jimi's was an original hussar pelisse bought from "I was Lord Kitchener's Valet". Here's a great clip featuring an interview with the shop owner shortly before he sold the jacket to Hendrix! To this day I've never seen another Hussar jacket with quite the same design - especially the arm swirls.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_a1n6fbFMk

HorseHide

One of the Regulars
How many people could really pull off wearing that beauty? Not I, that's for sure. Gotta have a real rock-star persona. If I were a twenty-something with attitude, that'd be my jacket!

I know I couldn't but...both "twenty-something" and "rock star persona" are two phrases that aren't used when describing me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff