Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jodhpurs / Breeches

draws

Practically Family
Baggers said:
My jodhpur boots from What Price Glory arrived today and I can highly recommend them. Full leather soles with a great finish for less than 200 USD shipped. I ordered my normal size (12) and they fit a bit loosely due to his practice of only making wide widths. Nothing a thicker sock or an insole won't fix. I'm looking forward to wearing these into the ground.

Cheers!
I have been very happy with the items from WPG as well and would highly recommend them. Also, the replicators now available for vintage clothing are producing some nice high quality items. Not only WPG but also Schipperfabrik. I have items from both but I would say that Shipperfabrik has made the greatest improvements in quality over the past year or so. Good luck with your paddock (jodhpur) boots and please let us all know when you have added to your collection.

1339lars

New in Town
Jodphurs

Why not try W.P.G (what price glory) http://onlinemilitaria.net/
They have new "kindled" jodphurs, and I can vouch for their other products!
So these should be nice as well.
I have had a number of these boots, and particularly the black "made in england" (no makers mark) ones that I have had for about 20 odd years they are in like new shape! Or why not try R.M Williams aussie boots (with the elastic sides sorry).

alden405

A-List Customer
draws said:
Just picked up a great pair of vintage men's khaki jodhpurs from another TFL lounger. They are in great condition, size 36 waist. Thanks Indyfan.

2762668360104326402S600x600Q85.jpg

2951486460104326402S600x600Q85.jpg

Holy snapping catfish,those are great Jods!

Let me know if you ever need to make space in your closet

draws

Practically Family
alden405 said:

I was taking a chance but they fit absolutely perfect and are in near mint condition. I'll try to post a photo of me wearing them shortly.

draws

Practically Family
alden405 said:

2181434570104326402S600x600Q85.jpg

Here is a photo of me wearing these jodhpurs. They are a perfect fit. I will normally wear these with tall field boots. I don't think I'll be parting with these any time soon since they are a rarity for my size and will be well taken care of. Enjoy!

draws

Practically Family
just_me said:
draws - those jods look fantastic. Do they bunch around your ankles when you put your boots on?
Actually, they do not. I gather them at the ankle and wrap them around to the inside and put the boots on. The straps are left in place to keep the jodphurs from riding up. My field boots are zipped rear entry so they are very easy to put on and remove.

I have ridden twice with these and they are quite comfortable. I have noticed that they are warm as well for winter riding and I never expected that. I will tend to not wear them during the warmer months, however. The fit just couldn't be better and am so happy to have been able to pick them up. Thanks, to the Fadora Lounge.

Les Gillis

One of the Regulars
Police Breeches

I'm trying to find a source for police uniform breeches that are the older style similar to what the Rhode Island Highway Patrol wears. I'd prefer to find a manufacturer or retailer as we may need multiple pairs in various sizes rather than one off pairs from Ebay.

I know What Price Glory and World War Two Impressions sell military style; but I'm looking for dark blue. I'd also like to avoid any reproduction WW2 German uniforms.

Thanks for any info,

Les

draws

Practically Family
Les Gillis said:
I'm trying to find a source for police uniform breeches that are the older style similar to what the Rhode Island Highway Patrol wears. I'd prefer to find a manufacturer or retailer as we may need multiple pairs in various sizes rather than one off pairs from Ebay.

I know What Price Glory and World War Two Impressions sell military style; but I'm looking for dark blue. I'd also like to avoid any reproduction WW2 German uniforms.

Thanks for any info,

Les
I would refer you to Canterbury Clothing of Quincy, Massachusetts. Canterbury makes our breeches and they are the exact same pattern and color as those you require (dark blue). You may want to go to their website to get some information at http://www.canterburyclothing.com. Another note: Canterbury makes uniforms for the Boston area police departments (patrol, motorcycle and mounted uniforms and breeches). They will make the pegged variety as well.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Good luck!

You're probably going to have to go custom. There are a few places that offer the non-pegged breeches that can do an order in about 6 weeks. They are mostly polyester with some stretch material.

What use are they going to be for? Mounted? Motorcycle? Or just for show?

If you want pegged breaches, the sources are still limited. There is a company called "Red the Uniform Tailor," that does the NJ State Police uniforms. Unless you are a "department," you're probably not going to have much luck with single orders.

There is a company called "Peter Jay," out of NYC. That used to do great work. I got them to copy the US Army dress blues, and they came out great. Then I tried to get a pair in a specific gray color, and it took over a year, and wasn't the right color. Then I got the NYC attitude. It was my fault. Too bad, Sorry.

There is a company in NJ called Neptune Uniforms, that specializes in police honor guard uniforms. They can do it. But, I've never seen their work, other than their pictures.

I can give you contact info if you PM me. If you find anything let me know.

Right now, I'm trying to track down a supplier of the RCMP. I have a couple of leads I'm checking out.

I'm going to have to check into the company Draws suggested.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Riding breeches: what's the flaring for?

Hi,

This is a question out of curiosity.

What's the purpose of the flaring at the hip sides in classic riding breeches, if any? Any ideas as to its origins? ( I mean breeches like those commonly seen, for instance, in wear by your stereotypical Nazi officers, colonial types, or Great White Hunters, in movies - a type of garment apparently popular, or at least not uncommon, from the 20's to the 40's or so).

It doesn't look as if this plays any useful purpose, I mean, if you dispense with it, apparently there's no problem at all - modern day horse riders, police motorcycle officers, etc, use just tight fitting breeches without the flared hips.

Regards!

draws

Practically Family
Torpedo said:
Hi,

This is a question out of curiosity.

What's the purpose of the flaring at the hip sides in classic riding breeches, if any? Any ideas as to its origins? ( I mean breeches like those commonly seen, for instance, in wear by your stereotypical Nazi officers, colonial types, or Great White Hunters, in movies - a type of garment apparently popular, or at least not uncommon, from the 20's to the 40's or so).

It doesn't look as if this plays any useful purpose, I mean, if you dispense with it, apparently there's no problem at all - modern day horse riders, police motorcycle officers, etc, use just tight fitting breeches without the flared hips.

Regards!
The flare was implemented at a time when materials were not as flexible as they are today. Yes, contemporary police do wear the tighter fitting breeches as do many equestrian people because existing material allows for the stretch/expansion/flexibility when mounting up and being positioned with your leg being constantly bent and around the motorcyle/horse being ridden. Originally, because the material at the knee had to be tight to fit into a tall riding boot, the extra material at the thigh allowed the material to stretch and not restrict the bending knee and legs straddling the mount out at the hips and down on the leg.

Back in the early to mid 20th century, a slow transition occurred to the styling of the breeches to a more slim and trim look and with the introduction of stretch fabrics. This was a blessing for the ladies who rode and provided a more flattering look. From what I've noticed, most all the guys in our troop still prefer the more traditional cut and there seems to be a resurgence of the flared breeches of late. I think that we will eventually find an equal mix of the flared breeches and trim cuts depending on individual taste.

alden405

A-List Customer
Also worth mentioning the Indian origin,Indian Jodphurs for Jodphur are an obvious influence.A similar style (to the Indian trousers) are worn on Crete.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Excellent answer, Draws.

Let me add that as a wearer of vintage riding and Women's Land Army breeches, if they don't have the extra fabric around the hip, they don't 'work' - or fit. You cannot bend or sit in them if they are not the absolute correct size due to the length and the tight fitting at the top of the calves.

But when they fit right, they are supremely comfortable and useful items.

Talbot

One Too Many
Miss Sis said:
Excellent answer, Draws.

Let me add that as a wearer of vintage riding and Women's Land Army breeches, if they don't have the extra fabric around the hip, they don't 'work' - or fit. You cannot bend or sit in them if they are not the absolute correct size due to the length and the tight fitting at the top of the calves.

But when they fit right, they are supremely comfortable and useful items.

Not to mention that they look fabulous on a woman.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot