Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John Wayne's "Oviatt's" flat caps

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
As an enthusiastic historian of "Oviatt's", Los Angeles's greatest haberdashery of the Golden Era, I was excited to see that three of John Wayne's vintage "Oviatt's" imported flat caps (made for the store by "Ayres & Smith") are going to be sold at auction this October:

http://entertainment.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7045&lotNo=44615#Photo

Any Loungers going to bid on them?

Last edited:

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I WAS until you blew it by announcing it to everyone.
Now the price will go through the roof.
Seriously, I think their estimate is a little low.
Collectors will take the price up, just to have something of the Duke's.

Sam

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
lf

Not much of a flat cap guy more of a 8 pannel newsboy for me. I am sure the price they will fetch is way above what I would
want to pay for them. The one on the far right has a lot of wear too it. Must have been a favorite one.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
They certainly are not low on the movie-used hats, though I won't be surprised to see them go for these huge amounts.

'Low' is relative. They're low compared to the final price they'll probably fetch.

At Debbie Reynold's recent movie costume auction, her Marilyn Monroe dress was estimated to go for 2 million dollars. Instead, it fetched 4.6 million bucks (+ commission). The original estimate was, er, low.

Last edited:

Sam Craig

One Too Many
While I will admit to having fantasized about owning a John Wayne hat in my collection ... my personal choice would have been the one he wore in The Cowboys or one from his early ... pre-Stagecoach ... films ... nevertheless, I can understand the emotional tug that brought the Monroe dress to $4 million.

Not that I agree that it's "worth" that, but consider what was up against the inside of that dress, compared to what was up against Duke's hats.

That is what the world was paying for in the Monroe dress ... not some fashion statement

Sam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles