Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnny Depp influence: Wisconsin bankers want no hats

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
RHY said:
Thank god the don't ask me to leave my 45 cal. Colt Commander outside the banks, just my hat and sunglasses!

The biggest bank robbers actually sit on the Board of Directors of the Financial Institution. They get away with millions for themselves and their friends. The poor, stupid hold up artist gets a few lousy thousand or so, and a dye packet exploding in his pants.

Remember the pen is mightier than the sword, especially when it comes to White Collar Crime. You rule Bernie Madoff!

Thank you!:eusa_clap

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
whydidicometothisthread2ak.gif

Edward

Bartender
I was once in a bank while it was robed.

It wasn't so much the guy's pulled-down cap, pulled-up hood, or wearing of sunglasses indoors that made him so suspicious.... IT WAS THE FACT HE WAS ROBING THE DAMN BANK!

I should hope the bank was (or at least it's staff were) 'robed' rather better than he. ;)

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
My bank has a sign on the door. "Please remove all hats, sunglasses and hoods before entering"

I ignore it... They haven't said anything to me yet.........

Cliffnopus

One of the Regulars
stickup.jpg

Air Wick makes an air freshener called 'Stick up'; I suggest purchasing one.
Leave it in its original container.
enter bank, raise the box over your head and in a loud clear voice, state: "This is a Stick up!"
Hilarity ensues.

Should anyone like to try this wonderful joke, I am willing to purchase a large life insurance policy in your name (with me as beneficiary, of course).

Seriously though, doesn't protocall dictate removing ones hat indoors anyway?

Cliff

Last edited:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
With things like this, I generally keep my hat on until I get to the desk and start interacting with a person.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I've never had a situation where I was having a hat with me to the bank, it may come up, but I don't wear a hat every day. I'll have to see about it. If it's impractical to take it off, I'll just leave it on unless directed to otherwise.

Chinaski

One Too Many
I should hope the bank was (or at least it's staff were) 'robed' rather better than he. ;)

Edward, I feel your pain. What with LOL's and things like, "How ru today," proper spelling is completely out the window. Additionally, those of us who might point out the errors are seen as pedantic. On topic, I did not rob any banks today in my sunglasses or fedora.

Pompidou

One Too Many
Taking off my VS hat is putting on my disguise. People don't recognize me anymore without it. The banks have never complained that I wear it, though there is such a hat and sunglasses (and cell phone off) sign on the door and at the counter. I figure I'm doing them a favor. If I had it in me to rob the bank and they had to describe the perpetrator, that red hat would be a godsend. I'm average height, thin, with an unremarkable beard and unremarkable hair. If I didn't wear the hat, my police description would read like half the guys in town. Fortunately for law enforcement I suppose, I put considerable effort into being easily describable.

martinsantos

Practically Family
:D :D :D

Bankers and law enforcement officials think that criminals have specific clothing to work, don't they? Killers use leather gloves. Bank robbers use hats, and so on.

When "The Sting" was lauched, the hippodromes had any trouble with fedoras too?

MILWAUKEE — With a film about John Dillinger hitting theaters, Wisconsin bankers and law enforcement officials are launching a campaign designed to deter bank holdups.

The movie "Public Enemies" follows the life of the notorious bank robber.

Wisconsin Bankers Association president Kurt Bauer says the film portrays Dillinger as a folk hero rather than a dangerous criminal.

Authorities say that’s a good reason to launch their campaign. It advises patrons to remove their hats, hoods and sunglasses while conducting bank business.

The goal is to make it easier to identify bank robbers. Bauer says people who don’t comply will still be served, but "everyone in the bank will be watching them more closely."

http://www.postcrescent.com/article...eo--Wisconsin-bankers-want-no-hats--no-shades

martinsantos

Practically Family
Metal detectors at banks don't like my fountain pen, my pocket watch and, when I'm with it, my camera!! But never any trouble with hat.

(At one airport I had to show the camera, because the guy suspected about smething made of steel. But this is, of course, very different).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic