Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leather Black Overdye Chromexcel 30's-Style Aviator Jacket

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16736

This jacket was made for me by Johnson Leather about three years ago and has seen no use outside of my home and little use inside of it. The jacket is based on a vintage 1930's motorcycle jacket in Alan's personal collection which was customized into a 1930's-style aviator jacket with a bi-swing back, button cuffs, and side straps (the original had side laces and zippered sleeves). The leather is Horween's black overdye 4oz.+ Chromexcel cowhide. The body lining is black cotton and the sleeves are black satin-nylon. There are three outside pockets (two slash and one zippered map pocket) and one inside breast pocket. The jacket is very stout and heavy with no issues other than typical wear, but feels much lighter when worn. The leather has a brown base and scuffs easily to reveal the undercoat. The leather already is showing graining, especially on the upper chest area. There is plenty of breaking-in left on this jacket. Note about the fit: it has a vintage cut with high armholes and looks classy when worn. The tag size is 42 but has a little extra length. For reference, I'm 6'2", 195 lbs. and it fits me snugly and well. Here are the measurements:

Chest: 24"
Shoulders: 20"
Sleeves: 25.5"
Back (collar seam to hem): 25.5"

The pictures are here (pardon my camera skills):

http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/laffs4sale/library/?sort=3&page=1

Recently, a Johnson Leather motorcycle jacket in the same leather and similar condition sold on eBay for $515. My jacket is offered at $400 with $20 USPS Priority Mail shipping and includes insurance and signature confirmation (if requested). Please review the pictures and description before bidding because I cannot accept returns. Thank you for reading my listing and Happy New Year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Great jacket and I wish it was a size 40. I've loved all of the JL jackets I've seen and hope to snag a used one some day.

D

Deleted member 16736

Thank you. Alan is a skilled jacket-maker and a pleasure to deal with. He was very patient with me.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Johnson leather seems to be more than what their website suggests???? By looking at their website, they are no more than some cheap local motorcycle jacket maker using Pakistan water buffalo hide. But this post suggests they are able to make a quality vintage jacket using the best material?

D

Deleted member 16736

Johnson leather seems to be more than what their website suggests???? By looking at their website, they are no more than some cheap local motorcycle jacket maker using Pakistan water buffalo hide. But this post suggests they are able to make a quality vintage jacket using the best material?

Johnson Leather is a hidden gem, but getting more respect lately, at least judging by the prices some of his used jackets are commanding in the aftermarket.

Edward

Bartender
Really nice jacket. Very similar to my Aero Bootlegger (I had the button cuffs added as a variation on the design as I much preferreed them over the plain standard look). I really like how it looks in black. I'd be tempted myself, if only it was a fair bit bigger....

Yeah, their site really isn't reflective of how much they do. A lot of folks on here have gotten some fantastic looking custom work from them. I have one of their D-pocket bike jcketswhich I bought used from a Lounger. I'm very pleased indeed with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy