Johnson Leather Jacket

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Jin431, Dec 13, 2020.

1. marker2037

marker2037 A-List Customer

Lovely choice of leather. Can't wait to see the finished product. I hope you choose that tan quilted liner as it's amazing and a great match for the skin.

Jin431 and Canuck Panda like this.
  2. Canuck Panda

Canuck Panda A-List Customer

^^^me too I can't wait!

Jin431 likes this.
  3. hondurasdave47

hondurasdave47 Practically Family

I'm pretty sure that's the only half-belt JL has made in that hide to date. I have a sample of the hide - beautiful stuff. I can't wait to see how it ages!

Jin431 likes this.
  4. jadub

jadub One of the Regulars

Have you pulled the trigger on an order? It does look like a great “natural” option if it hasn’t been treated yet. Beautiful even if the did treat it. I love the whole package with this jacket.

Jin431 likes this.
  5. ES335

ES335 New in Town

Have Mercy!

6. JCSD

JCSD A-List Customer

A little preview of my custom cross zip from JL. Same Horween Vermont hide that @Jin431 and @Mrfrown utilized for their pieces.

B9C5075D-4E22-45DA-8721-105EAC8E68A9.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    sweetfights, Hobbes1, Riu and 16 others like this.
  7. Canuck Panda

Saw this on JL's facebook page

JL.jpg

Psant25, Jin431, marker2037 and 3 others like this.
  8. Jin431

Jin431 Call Me a Cab

Cross post to the WJAYWT thread.

Picked up my Cal that needed alteration over at JL. The sleeves were tapered and shortened. The armholes were too big so they couldn't slim the biceps/elbow all the way as it would have looked off. Happy with how this turned out, this is wearable now. I also dropped off another Cal for sleeves to be tapered and a mouton collar to be placed.

IMG_4954.jpg

IMG_4870.jpg

IMG_4918.jpg

IMG_4924.jpg

9. Canuck Panda

Great pick up!
    These bike jackets all have hulking arms. I think the officers like it with some room up top, makes their daily tasks a lot easier.

Jin431 likes this.
  10. Jin431

Jin431 Call Me a Cab

JL had to remove almost 4" in width to get it to this shape, so I'm glad it's not as baggy as it was when I first received it.

The other Cal I'm getting fixed up has the same massive arms and armholes so it's probably going to look similar to this after they slim it up

11. Canuck Panda

4” is a lot!
    These bike jackets can have 19” ish or more in diameter for sleeves biceps, for medium/large tag sizes. I highly doubt that most officers had Arnold sized arms. But they are very comfortable, and most still tapers down to about 9” ish in diameter at the wrist. Definitely not slim fit but it’s not bagging out either if it tapers.
    The other Cal is a cross zip?

Jin431 and JMax like this.
  12. Jin431

Jin431 Call Me a Cab

It was massive lol but the armhole is too so I guess it makes sense. It really is very comfy sleeve design but it does not look good to look at so it had to be tapered. Good thing JL is so close by.

The other Cal is also a straight zip CHP, that one is a real MC cop jacket since it has a badge holder. Its similar to this jacket with the clean one piece back with no western yoke and no shoulder gussets, it has snaps on the sleeves for closure and side laces to the bottom hem. I also removed the belt holder already. The leather is much thicker on that one and it has the tear drop shaped zipper pull on the pockets.

Canuck Panda likes this.
  13. JCSD

JCSD A-List Customer

JL J24 inspired Cross Zip

9D9510BC-13C2-4439-8239-3CDBD501FCE4.jpeg

Kuro, Imuricecreamman, Tom71 and 11 others like this.
  14. TheDonEffect

TheDonEffect One of the Regulars

So that Vermont leather... why the hell did I let TFL talk me into CXL, lol, jk. The Vermont leather is supple, pliable, and remarkably light, vs CXL being stiff, hard wearing, and heavy. Vermont is very easy wearing, you could almost equate it to a lambskin jacket. And I got to see your original jacket, beautiful jacket btw, wish it was in my size, actually, probably best that it wasn't, lol.

I'd say the character and richness isn't quite on par with CXL, but they're definitely related/close, and the trade off for comfort easily outweighs what small amount of aesthetic you give up.

Jin431 and Mrfrown like this.
  15. Pandemic

Pandemic Practically Family

I posted pics of the jacket Damon made himself in the other thread, but I didn’t mention the reason I contacted him was to ask how he’d feel about doing a custom LL lighting. He seemed to like the idea.

roadking04, Jin431 and Mrfrown like this.
  16. TheDonEffect

I saw the jacket he made himself with the skived CXL, same batch of leather used for my car jacket. Beautiful jacket, but we just laughed about how stiff CXL is even after being skived down, mine still looks like it did when it was new only a little bit more pliable now.

Jin431, Mrfrown and Pandemic like this.
  17. Mrfrown

Mrfrown Practically Family

@TheDonEffect yes it was indeed nice, and I’m very happy to receive the remake which is MUCH more to my size.

With regard to Horween Vermont, you could say perhaps we’ve both seen the light eh?

812AD9EF-0E2A-40D0-BDEA-9293A6C16518.jpeg

I’ll post a few of version 2.0 from the WJAYWT thread here for consolidation purposes

C3B3738B-7732-4EDC-A903-90AC52DB2E29.jpeg 17669E20-D4E4-4DAE-8CE0-2F974547E64A.jpeg 78AEEA3C-4BCD-4A57-90F2-48097E78CFEE.jpeg

Unfortunately the next 3 weeks are statistically the hottest of the year here so…here’s to air conditioning, jackets, and Johnson Leather!

navetsea, JMax, torfjord and 9 others like this.
  18. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

This looks fantastic!

Mrfrown likes this.
  19. Mrfrown

Mrfrown Practically Family

Thanks HM!

20. TheDonEffect

I indeed see the light now. I once was blind but now I see.

Mrfrown and roadking04 like this.